Light Headed! 17 day diet!

Options
I started the 17 day diet monday and I would become light headed and felt so weak even though I ate a lot of protein, fruits, and veggies. I wonder if it's because I stopped eating sweets and wheat cold turkey. I cant even do my insanity because I know I would pass out if I tried to do one jump. However, I do like the concept of the 17 day diet. I just dont get why I would feel so weak. Im ok now but there has to be a reason. Help!

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the 17 day diet is but if you cut your carbs you're probably experiencing what people call "low carb flu". Drink a cup of broth or salt your food liberally and you'll feel much better. Good luck. :)

ETA:
    It's definitely low carb -- more salt will help you. More calories probably will too to some extent if you're hungry but the weakness is because your body is flushing minerals along with all of the water you retain when you eat a lot of carbs.
    Cycle 1 allows an unlimited amount of nonstarchy vegetables and lean protein (including 2 eggs per day, if you have normal cholesterol level), along with limited amounts of fruits, probiotics (such as yogurt), and a little bit of "friendly" fat, such as olive oil or flaxseed oil.

Registered dietitian Melissa Nodvin, MS, RD estimates this plan to be about 1,200 calories per day, or the minimum recommended calorie level.

Here is a sample day's plan from Cycle 1:

Unlimited lean protein
    Unlimited nonstarchy vegetables
    2 low-sugar fruits
    2 probiotics (low-fat yogurt)
    1-2 servings of friendly fats
    Green tea
    64 ounces of water
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    y a you need to eat
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yes please eat!!!....and quit doing diets!!! :angry:
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with the 17 day diet either. But I would question how many calories are you eating and how often you are eating. If I go too long without eating my blood sugar crashes and I become light headed. Try eating a little snack inbetween meals and make sure you are eating protein with every meal. Also, make sure you are not eating less than 1200 calories.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Obviously something is not right and it sounds like it is the 17 day diet. Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight, exercise for fitness. You do not have to cut anything you enjoy out of your life. Ditch this diet, calculate your calorie goal, eat at a deficit, incorporate your fruits, veggies, proteins, and other items you enjoy and you will stop feeling light headed.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    faddiets2.gif?w=600

crying-diet.gif

crash-diet-cartoon.gif

spark-funny.gif?w=529

diet19.gif
  • andreabrabham
    andreabrabham Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 17 day diet so that I will learn to eat better. I am getting my carbs from fruits and veggies. I am just staying about from sugar and breads. And it is not really a diet. I am getting at least 1500 calories a day. I know to have at least 1200. I wouldnt starve myself. I just want to stop eating so much junk. so by doing a "diet" it challenges me to reach my goal. Yall are saying to ditch the DIET but I am eating protein, veggies, and fruits, healthy fats, and drinking green tea. Nothing wrong with that at all. Just no sugar or complex carbs. I would rather learn how to eat properly and make it a habit NOW than to eat what I want and end up getting diabetes because I became an addict of bread and sweets. Plus, this "diet" is pretty good. I am majoring in Nutritional Science so I know that this is legit.
  • andreabrabham
    Options
    I don't know what the 17 day diet is but if you cut your carbs you're probably experiencing what people call "low carb flu". Drink a cup of broth or salt your food liberally and you'll feel much better. Good luck. :)

ETA:
    It's definitely low carb -- more salt will help you. More calories probably will too to some extent if you're hungry but the weakness is because your body is flushing minerals along with all of the water you retain when you eat a lot of carbs.
    Cycle 1 allows an unlimited amount of nonstarchy vegetables and lean protein (including 2 eggs per day, if you have normal cholesterol level), along with limited amounts of fruits, probiotics (such as yogurt), and a little bit of "friendly" fat, such as olive oil or flaxseed oil.

Registered dietitian Melissa Nodvin, MS, RD estimates this plan to be about 1,200 calories per day, or the minimum recommended calorie level.

Here is a sample day's plan from Cycle 1:

Unlimited lean protein
    Unlimited nonstarchy vegetables
    2 low-sugar fruits
    2 probiotics (low-fat yogurt)
    1-2 servings of friendly fats
    Green tea
    64 ounces of water

Thanks for your help. This was very helpful :)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 17 day diet so that I will learn to eat better. I am getting my carbs from fruits and veggies. I am just staying about from sugar and breads. And it is not really a diet. I am getting at least 1500 calories a day. I know to have at least 1200. I wouldnt starve myself. I just want to stop eating so much junk. so by doing a "diet" it challenges me to reach my goal. Yall are saying to ditch the DIET but I am eating protein, veggies, and fruits, healthy fats, and drinking green tea. Nothing wrong with that at all. Just no sugar or complex carbs. I would rather learn how to eat properly and make it a habit NOW than to eat what I want and end up getting diabetes because I became an addict of bread and sweets. Plus, this "diet" is pretty good. I am majoring in Nutritional Science so I know that this is legit.

Getting diabetes from breads and sweets :huh:

Anyway... If you feel that you are getting proper nutrition, but are still feeling light headed, why not make an appointment with your doctor?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help. This was very helpful :)
    You're welcome. After reading everyone's responses I had to google the 17 day diet for fear it was some sort of crash diet. It was nice to see it's legit like you said and a perfectly sound and healthful eating plan. Best wishes, I know you'll do great figuring out the right diet for you.
  • andreabrabham
    Options
    Wow. I feel so attacked here. I would try to explain further but no use. thanks for the help
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Dont feel attacked. Some people just sound harsh. I have dieted all my life and I am 45. It is in the past 90 days that I have learned by a lot of reading that I need to exercise to eat and eat to live. I am shooting for one lb lost per week. If it comes off slowly it will stay off. This is a life change for me. I will eat how I am right now the rest of my life. It is healthy! I do have a cheat meal every week and enjoy it but I love getting back to it the next day. Get really good friends of here and that helps a lot. People who encourage and give u help. Sometimes these forums hurt more than help. If u want a good MFP friend, friend me.
  • smeklc
    smeklc Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi. Not sure if you stuck with the 17 day diet for the length of 3 cycles. When I followed it couple years ago, I had the lightheadness a day or so, headaches for first 6-7 days, then I was fine. Prior I had regular pop, chocolate, and lots of other carbs so it took a few days to get over the need for them. Hope all worked well for you. I did lose weight and kept it off for over a year. Then high stress derailed the efforts. I will be getting back on soon.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It could be low blood pressure. I used to be at 140/86 or sometimes 120/80 when I was overweight. Now I am at 100/70, which is healthy but also lower than average. With this blood pressure, sometimes I get dizzy or light-headed. The doctor recommended to eat something salty and then drink a lot of water.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    OP, folks are just very opinionated here :) It's not you.

Getting diabetes from breads and sweets :huh:

Anyway... If you feel that you are getting proper nutrition, but are still feeling light headed, why not make an appointment with your doctor?

Well, I'm in the middle of 'getting diabetes from breads and sweets'. Granted, I'm mixed NA, and I have PCOS, but if someone is pre-diabetic (hi!) or diabetes runs strongly in their family, or they have PCOS, I'd certainly suggest not indulging in many breads or sweets. The insulin system literally wears out is the thing. Diabetes II is long into the process, even if we tend to diagnosis at that stage (sadly).
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    This.
    "I don't know what the 17 day diet is but if you cut your carbs you're probably experiencing what people call "low carb flu". Drink a cup of broth or salt your food liberally and you'll feel much better. Good luck. :)

ETA:
    It's definitely low carb -- more salt will help you. More calories probably will too to some extent if you're hungry but the weakness is because your body is flushing minerals along with all of the water you retain when you eat a lot of carbs."
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Obviously something is not right and it sounds like it is the 17 day diet. Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight, exercise for fitness. You do not have to cut anything you enjoy out of your life. Ditch this diet, calculate your calorie goal, eat at a deficit, incorporate your fruits, veggies, proteins, and other items you enjoy and you will stop feeling light headed.
    I agree with this! But unless your a doctor you can or can not say you will stop feeling light headed. What if it has nothing to do with the diet? Either way, legit info:)
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I still can't get my head a round any form of healthy eating plan that makes you feel ill....