Best HRM for Gym AND running?

Options
Can anyone please recommend a good hrm that will measure both activity in the gym and also gps for accurate distance while running too? All the ones I have looked at seem to be good for one or the other. i really would like to find something that would track everything - running, spinning and classes.

Some garmins are supposed to work in the gym but it seems from reviews that people have problems getting accurate readings.

Replies

• kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I favour Polar as a brand, but I've not looked into gps as I use my phone to track things like that.
  • candiceh3
    Options
    By classes what do you mean?

If it works for running it will work for spinning.

They never work for weights.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I favor the cheap polar accurate readings and I can do the calculations!
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Polar...♥ it! I have not had any problems with the device and it is easy to set/read.
  • kirschkuchen
    kirschkuchen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by 'works'. It works just fine for its intended purpose (measuring your heart rate). If you want it to count calories, you'll always have the problem that the formula is only (kind of) correct for steady state cardio where the movement stays constant.

When you have a lot of stop and go action like you do in some classes or when weight lifting, then you keep your heart rate up but stop moving (actively burning calories) for periods of time. Your heart rate does not react immediately. It stays high even though you do not burn calories accordingly. The formula that converts heart beat into calories cannot account for that. Meaning: There is no heart rate monitor that can measure calories for activities that don't keep you moving steadily. It's always guess work.
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    I've really enjoyed my Garmin Forerunner with the extra chest strap. Since I don't need all the extra stuff built-in, just the GPS and the HRM, I purchased a Forerunner 110. I also purchased a Garmin chest strap, and they sync/work great.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-GPS-Enabled-Unisex-Sport/dp/B003JNYULA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385459413&sr=8-3&keywords=garmin+forerunner

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10997-00-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B000UOD5QM/ref=pd_sim_e_5
  • Chopstheduck
    Chopstheduck Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do the Les Mills clases - body pump, body attack, body combat, and spinning classes.

By 'work' I guess I mean I really do want an accurate calorie count. Some reviewers have said online that the garmins weren't tracking calories properly in the gym. The more basic ones would be fine for running, but they don't track things like spinning, since you aren't going anywhere. I looked at the Nike fuel band too, but same issue, since your arms don;t move much during spin or cycling, they don't track it very well.

I see what you mean about stop start exercises, I was hoping that by measuring heart rate I would get a more accurate figure.
  • kirschkuchen
    kirschkuchen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The problem is that you can't measure calories directly. You always have to measure something else and then convert it.

If you do a lot of step-based exercise, use a step counter like the fitbit/nike fuel band/jawbone up.
    If you do a lot of steady state cardio, use a heart rate monitor.
    If you do a lot of weight lifting, guess based on your experience with your own body.

Actually, I'm just going to say that all forms of calorie counting is nothing more than guess work made ever more accurate the more experience you have with it. Don't count on any method to be correct or you might set yourself up for failure.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 - easy to use and seems accurate. I have had it for over a year now. I replaced the batteries once and still going strong.
  • jenyzmcc
    jenyzmcc Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar RCX5 GPS, there is also a cheaper version the RCX3 GPS. It is great for the gym and dvds at home.

The GPS makes it great and accurate for running aswell. You can log onto a website which tracks all the exercise you have done, the route, speed and length of your run.

I would really recommend any Polar, but if you are looking a HRM for running outside, it really needs to have GPS to be accurate.
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I like my garmin 310 XT, I think it works well for biking on my trainer, the HRM still works. I used to have a polar that did distance with a foot pod, I think the garmin GPS is more accurate (except when it is cloudy and there are lots of trees.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The only reason you would need a GPS function is if you want to track your distance while running or cycling. The GPS models work as HRM's in a gym but they can't track you with the GPS functions inside most buildings. Unless you have some real desire to know your exact distance and location of your runs it really isn't necessary to add the GPS function. All HRM's work off converting your HR with algorithms to an estimated calorie burn. The rest is all bells and whistles but they are made for steady state cardio so if you're doing lifting or an activity that you stop and start then it's still going to be off in it's estimation.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a GPS and HRM monitor both Garmin and Polar make a few different options. It all depends on how many features you want to have. Polar the watches run off normal watch batteries where as Garmin run on rechargeable batteries that don't last all day and would have to be charged each night. I would recommended checking out their websites so you get the one with best functions for you. I have owned or known close friends that have owned a variety of different models. I have a polar FT60 which has an external GPS unit that I can use for outdoor runs and bike rides. However, in order to upload the data into the computer/website, you have to buys a separate device. Also the GPS is great for judging distance and pace but it doesn't track on maps. Other polar version do have map tracking abilities.

Good Luck.