What can I do with eggs?

Options
Izzwoz
Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
I was given a rather large amount of eggs by a friend and am struggling to see past the usual suspects omelette, tortilla, pancakes etc.
I don't want them go to waste but I am stuck for what else I could do with them that is a relatively low cal meal ...

Any suggestions?

Replies

• triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe! Eggs inside a baked potato.

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2012/02/an-idaho-sunrise-egg-stuffed-baked-potatoes/

You can skip the butter and cheese to cut calories and put veggies inside (I have used cooked frozen veggies). It's so yummy! I just "bake" the potato in the microwave first to speed up the cooking process.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,950 Member
    Options
    Cheese souffle of course! :happy:
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I make a no-mayo tuna egg salad that I love to have in wraps, as a side to a raw vegetable salad, or just on its own.

I mix together 1 small (95g / 3-4oz) can of tuna in springwater (drained), one chopped hard-boiled egg, mashed avocado, plain Greek yoghurt and mustard. Have a play around with the ratios until you get a consistency and taste that you like. Sometimes I also toss in diced red onion or bell peppers for a bit of crunch.

ETA: I've been meaning to try making omelette muffins like these: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2480113/Get-shape-Christmas-Mushroom-spinach-omelette-muffins.html

For me, it's the convenience factor of instant vegetable omelette that appeals, but it also seems like a good way to use up a bunch of eggs in one go :smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Add beaten egg to soup (e.g., hot and sour soup, avogolemono [egg/lemon] soup)
    Add chopped hard-boiled egg to a salad (with chickpeas - yumm!)
    Add a poached egg to pasta, legume, cooked veggies, or grain dish - the runny yolk becomes a sauce
    Top grits or savory oatmeal or polenta with a poached egg for breakfast
    Have a fried egg sandwich -- add lettuce, tomato, other veggies of your preference, maybe a couple of slices of avocado
    Make french toast

Or you can freeze them for later use in scrambled eggs, french toast, baked goods, soups (any place you would use beaten eggs) (crack, beat, and, I think, lightly salt; freeze in measured amounts in ice-cube trays [preferably one-egg per cube if you plan to use them in baking]. Wash your ice-cube trays well before using for ice again.*

ETA: if you're going to freeze them, do an Internet search for the correct procedure; I typed this from memory, and I'm not sure on the salt, or whether there was something else you're supposed to add.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    if you whip them pretty well and slowly heat them youll be amazed at the number of things you can get eggs into. I just made a spaghetti sauce the other day wanted to boost the protein whipped an egg slowly heated the sauce, so it didn't curdle and voila pasta sauce w/ egg, but it wasn't eggy at all.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Love them poached on a toasted light English muffin or toasted sandwich round. Topped with chia seeds. I do mine in the microwave, it is very quick and easy.

Also love them hard boiled. Makes a great snack any time of the day.
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    BAKE PROTEIN CAKES!!!
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Egg is a great protein source, you could eat 1 egg a day until they are gone?

What I like to do is make a frittata - it is like a quiche but no pastry. Just eggs and a bunch of veggies and a little cheese to taste.

Maybe try a pumpkin, feta & spinach frittata? YUMMEH
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Crust less quiche ... Add your fave veggies n some pepper for extra heat. Bake in muffin tins to portion them out. Quick, tasty and healthy. Great source of protein.
  • Boil them and you can slice them up and put them in your salad, or you can take a boiled egg to work, etc. you can put them in just about anything.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hard-boil those babies! Just don't peel them until you're ready to use them.

I make egg salad almost every day using two eggs + a bit of olive oil mayo and mustard. It's one of my favorite things. I put it on a toasted whole wheat English muffin. So yummy.

You could also just cut em up and put them on salads or other foods you eat!
  • Izzwoz
    Options

Or you can freeze them for later use in scrambled eggs, french toast, baked goods, soups (any place you would use beaten eggs) (crack, beat, and, I think, lightly salt; freeze in measured amounts in ice-cube trays [preferably one-egg per cube if you plan to use them in baking]. Wash your ice-cube trays well before using for ice again.*

ETA: if you're going to freeze them, do an Internet search for the correct procedure; I typed this from memory, and I'm not sure on the salt, or whether there was something else you're supposed to add.

That's awesome, I had no idea you could freeze eggs! Will definitely try that, coz there are too many to just have one a day, it would need to be more like 4 a day!!! :-)
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Do some baking! There are plenty of low-cal, low-fat treats, both savoury and sweet, you can make as snacks. I like to make savoury muffins with carrot, courgette, broccoli, sweetcorn, onion and cheese with some herbs. Great for grabbing on the go or for a packed lunch.

Or you could try making bacon egg cups - line a muffin tin with bacon to create a "cup" and bake for a few minutes to start cooking the bacon, then crack the eggs directly into the bacon cups, sprinkle the tops with some herbs and/or black pepper, and bake till the eggs are cooked through. They're great for brekkie or for any meal really. Lovely as a starter to a dinner party! ;)
  • Izzwoz
    Options
    Do some baking! There are plenty of low-cal, low-fat treats, both savoury and sweet, you can make as snacks. I like to make savoury muffins with carrot, courgette, broccoli, sweetcorn, onion and cheese with some herbs. Great for grabbing on the go or for a packed lunch.

Or you could try making bacon egg cups - line a muffin tin with bacon to create a "cup" and bake for a few minutes to start cooking the bacon, then crack the eggs directly into the bacon cups, sprinkle the tops with some herbs and/or black pepper, and bake till the eggs are cooked through. They're great for brekkie or for any meal really. Lovely as a starter to a dinner party! ;)

Oooh, I like the sound of that! :-)
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I also like making brown (stir)fried rice with tons of veggies and eggs for protein!
  • Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    hard boiled and eat alone or on salads or whatever, "healthy" deviled eggs, everyone thinks this is gross... but for breakfast I'll mix egg whites in oats with peanut butter and fruit (I like to use raspberries) it's better than it sounds.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Egg Casserole! I use 1 small carton of egg whites (given your plethora of eggs, you could use the whites and throw out the yokes or save them for something else), 3-4 eggs, a bag of sautéed spinach, shredded cheese, Canadian bacon, chopped tomato. Beat the eggs and whites, add the rest, bake in a casserole, and voila! I cut mine into 4 squares and eat one for lunch (along with soup or something else low cal). 1 serving usually = about 380 calories and LOTS of good protein.

I also eat a hard boiled egg every day (along with almonds) for my second breakfast.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Meringues!
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Frittata!!