Quinoa questions...

SarahBethS
SarahBethS Posts: 29 Member
I just found out about this stuff the other day and from what I've read it sounds like it's like rice.

- What is the difference between it and rice?
- What is the texture like?
- Does it have any flavor or is it just like rice and have no flavor?
- Is it better for you than rice or just the same?

Replies

• Quinoa, when cooked has the same texture as wild rice, and is gluten free. I've only tried it in soups. I did a chicken quinoa soup. It was very good.
  • Quinoa has loads of protein and is so much better for you than rice, especially white rice. I would only compare it to rice in that it's a grain. it's not starchy or gummy in any way. It's quite nutty and the texture is very interesting. It has a sort of 'pop' like kiwi seeds when you eat it. And, there is so so many ways to add it to your diet. Hot or cold, there are loads of recipes online. It has so much protein that you can substitute it for a meat portion if you choose. You can make a sort of tabouli salad with it, instead of using cous cows. It's different, I LOVE it. If you'd like to use it as a side as you would rice, you can cook it in the broth of your choice and it will have a wonderful flavor. Sprinkle with a little bit of pecorino romano and it's lush!
  • - Quinoa is a seed whereas rice is the the grain part of the plant. Has quite a low GI score, higher in fibre and protein content. Touted as a great food for vegetarians looking to up their protein
    - GoGoPortobell has 'interesting' for texture pretty accurate. They're tiny seeds and tend to get stuck in your teeth more often than not, beware of that
    - lacks flavour. But what it lacks in flavour it makes up for in texture
    - I personally think it's better than rice. Higher fibre and protein, with a low sugar and GI score? Sign me up
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Read this:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-quinoa-63344

Short version?
    Rinse it.
    Toast it (it's important)
    Cook in broth.
    Enjoy.

It's not as flavorless as rice, but the toasting and cooking in broth are important.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I don't think quinoa has a texture anything like wild rice. It seems most like bulgar wheat or couscous to me. It is a non-cereal grain like wild rice, but the shape, texture and cooking time are different.

I'm not sure how to answer the question about taste, since I think brown rice has a lot of flavor on it's own, but I would say quinoa is comparable in taste. So, if brown rice seems tasteless, then probably quinoa will too.

The biggest difference is the amount of protein. Quinoa has more and is a complete protein.