Training for a Spartan sprint

Options
So me and some of my friends are planning on doing a Spartan Sprint in June. I haven’t really been working out a lot lately. I’ve mentioned to a few people that I’m training for it, and I’ve received a lot of negative feedback. So my question is to the people who have done it is it for beginners? I have 6 months to train for it is that enough time? I'm really out of shape and I wanted to use this as a way to get me back into working out but now I doubting myself. Any feedback/tips will be helpful.

Replies

• alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I would say that none of the Spartan races are for beginners. They're definitely one of the more complicated obstacle races out there. You're not allowed to skip any obstacles and there are "burpee penalties" if you are unable to complete one.

If you want a race for beginners, try a community "mud run" or find a Warrior Dash -- they cater more to people of all fitness levels.

Obstacle races can be a lot of fun, but being properly prepared will go a long way to ensuring your enjoyment!

Edit to add: https://www.youtube.com/user/AussieKettlebells He's got a bunch of videos with ideas of how to train for various obstacles!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    6 months for a Spartan Sprint? Shouldn't be a problem. Stop stalling by asking questions and start training
  • robbrown3
    robbrown3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Is it for beginners? Sure! I did a Super Spartan after just 8 weeks of training. Was it easy? Of course not. I didn't finish within the top half of competitors that did the same race. But I wasn't worried about that. I did it with friends and we did our best, nothing wrong with any of that in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry about the negative feedback you get. If you want to do a Spartan Sprint and want the challenge, then do it. When I did my Super Spartan, I could barely run a mile without stopping for breaks. But I didn't let that stop me from signing up and training as much as possible.

I've done two Super Spartans now, one in 2012 and one this past August. For me the biggest difference was learning how to pace myself for the entire race. If you don't run regularly, I'd start there. Learn how to pace yourself so that you can run an entire race with minimal breaks. Most of the obstacles are body weight obstacles. So I like mixing squats, burpees, push-ups, pull ups, mountain climbers, etc. Later in your training you can even mix them into your runs. For example do 10 burpees after every mile.
  • indigo827
    Options
    I've done a Super Spartan and am doing a Spartan Sprint in the Carolinas in March. 6 months is definitely enough time to train and get yourself ready. You will not only need endurance but strength. Don't let the naysayers deter you. Show them they are wrong. :)
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time. Sign up for the Spartan workout of the day (on the website) that will help with strength, endurance and speed. good luck!
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Tough Mudder in April, a Spartan Sprint at the end of May, a Super Spartan in June, Rugged Maniac end of June and the Warrior Dash in July, and another Tough Mudder in October... YES, I've LOST MY MIND and I'm beyond excited for all of it.

They are not easy, you will want to work on OVERALL fitness- do bootcamp, kickboxing, weight lifting...whatever it takes to get your overall strength and fitness up. 6 months is more than enough time- just know that you will have to train hard, focus on endurance, strength and cardio...but know that at the end of it all, it's meant to be FUN.

Personally, I'm a CrossFit addict, but I know that's not up everyone's alley. One of the guys from the winning team for the World's Toughest Mudder actually trains at my box.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    6 months for a Spartan Sprint? Shouldn't be a problem. Stop stalling by asking questions and start training

agreed.

Make sure you have a reasonable cardio base for the running and enough upper body strength to pull yourself over/under/through obstacles.
  • Nmt100
    Nmt100 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    6 months is plenty of time. I went from not being able to run the 1 mins in c25k in february to doing the 10k total warrior in august. I've just signed up to do the full (20 mile) rat race dirty weekend and will probably enter the 10 mile total warrior or a tough mudder for later next year as well. Like others have said you need to be able to have a good cardio base and develop your upper body strength so you can get over/under/climb things. You probably don't even need to be able to run the whole distance as the obstacles will give you a 'break'. Problem with obstacle/mud runs is they are highly addictive!
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    6 months is plenty of time.

Work on cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, walking/running on steep inclines, and upper body strength. You will definitely need to add strength training to your regimen if it is not already there.

Good luck.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've done two Spartan Sprints, two tough Mudders, two Warrior Dashes, Rugged maniac and various other obstacle mud runs. They're a BLAST! 6 months is plenty of time to train for it if your goal is to finish. If you're looking to finish in a certain time etc then it may not be. I'm going for the Trifecta badge this year, Spartan is one of my favorite companies for obstacle runs. they're challenging, well planned and just all around done well.

As for the course itself it really depends on what the terrain is at the one you pick. My first Spartan was on a mountain and was much more difficult than the Spartan at Fenway (although both were challenging)

My word of advice: Know and love thy burpees! Incorporate them into at least three workouts a week and work your way up to at least 30 as you'll have to complete 30 of them if you can't complete an obstacle. Upper body strength is also something that you shoudl focus on as well as building up some running endurance. The sprint is a 5k so 3.2 miles (and some change depending on the venue) so it's not super important, but still something that I would incorporate.

Lastly, don't listen to negative nellies.... if you want to challenge yourself then do it! I always feel awesome afterward!
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think if you want to challenge yourself and have a fun time DO IT. Don't let the negatives get you down. If you go to the Spartan race websites they themselves state a Spartan Sprint is great for people of all ages and all fitness levels.I love watching the videos on their site, so watch some for inspiration if you need it!!

Its getting of the couch and DOING SOMETHING that is important. I am doing my first one in July of 2014. I have a ton of weight to still lose, but im not letting it stop me. i don't intend on finishing in a certain time..I just intend on finishing! I have had plenty of friends do these races and say tey are highly addictive, alot of fun and a great way to encourage and help others.
    That being said, you should defin up your workouts etc. I wouldn't run into it without doing any kind of regime between now and then..you might hurt yourself. Strength training/Endurance Training would be my guess.

They look like a total funfest and i cannot WAIT to do it. it will be great doing it with your friends too!!! Good Luck and enjoy yourself!!! :)
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Train for hills.

This year our race was supposed to be on a flat course and then it changed to a skihill. I hadn't been hill training as much as I should have and it really did me in.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

This
    6 months is PLENTY O time- you could train for a tough mudder in that time frame if you were really motivated.

Do a lot of interval training- the park is great for this-

run
    push ups
    run
    burpees
    run
    pull ups
    run
    sit ups
    run
    burpees
    run
    push ups
    run
    burpees
    run
    pull ups
    run
    burpees
    run
    bear crawls
    run
    wheel barrows (if you are with a friend)
    run some more

easy peasy lemon squeezy