AM Pre-Breakfast before work outs.

Options
I've been working out at 6am. I have no idea what to eat before my work out. I've been eating a banana because I am not that very hungry that early in the morning, but I was told to not let a fruit be the first thing I eat if I am trying to burn body fat.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• NzBuilt
    NzBuilt Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Try half a cup of oats cinamon and lil whey protein and almond milk,or a boiled egg and organc peanut butter on brown dry toast,works a treat for me....
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with a banana!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    When I work out in the morning I don't eat before hand because I'm not hungry and if I eat something before working out I'm likely to get a cramp. I wouldn't worry about eating fruit first thing in the morning I don't think it makes much of a difference if at all. Maybe try some oatmeal, egg whites, fruit and toast, if you're looking for something else to eat. Good luck!
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything! I do my hour workout, come home and shower and then eat breakfast.
  • NovaStar82
    Options
    I eat my breakfast post workout - mine is 2 rye crackers with a thick slice of lean ham and a spoonful of cottage cheese on each :)
    YUM!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I start at 4am,,, half a cup of coffee and i go!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I tend not to eat before my morning workouts. I will have a glass of water. When I come back I will have another glass of water, shower and then eat.
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt are oatmeal are banana-I try not to eat to much if I workout in morning so I don't get cramps- good luck:)
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    6am start here also but only have water before working out.

Must admit by time get showered and home, bloody starving!!! lol
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are my favorite. I use a frozen banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and about a cup of unsweetened almond milk. Sometimes I'll add a scoop of chocolate protein powder and/or some yogurt.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I would probably do 1/2 of oats 30-20 mins prior to working out. For myself when I do workout that early, I can't eat, however I make sure I have my bcca's on hand to drink prior & througout my workout. I don't do cardio other than 2x a month, however I focus on weight training, I also try not to go over 45 mins when working out that early in the morning. But I make sure it's intense enough to feel I got a good workout in :)
  • VIVIANGREAVES
    Options
    TRY A PROTEIN SHAKE OR OATMEAL
    I MYSELF DO AM CARDIO ON EMPTY STOMACH
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat anything before I work out or I get queasy during. I wait until I am finished. Only water before.
  • heystephie
    heystephie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think half a banana should be alright..
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    Quakers oats, put it in a bowl, add water, micro wave for 3 min, add whey protein or bananas, and u have yourself a great breakfast. It's super easy to eat where ever, when ever
  • crash_aly
    Options
    I tend to do half my breakfast before and the other half after. I don't want to risk getting light headed (it is an issue for me in general) or not feeding my muscles before asking them to perform (especially weight lifting) when they haven't been fed in 6-10+ hours, depending on when I ate the night before and how much sleep I get. Breakfast literally means BREAK - FAST. You are breaking the fast of not eating for several hours while sleeping.

I often will just have half a glass of chocolate milk (close to a 3:1 carb/protein ratio) and a banana before I workout and then a cup/bowl of oatmeal after with some green tea or coffee.

Not eating prior works for some people though, not saying you shouldn't do what works for you.
  • FitnessMeagan1105
    FitnessMeagan1105 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do not eat before I workout. I do an early am workout too. If I tried to eat before my workout I would have to be up at least 30 mins earlier. But I have yet to have an issue with not eating until after I workout.
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I work out at 4 am when I go to work. It depends on what I am doing. If I am lifting heavy, I like to have a small 200 calorie breakfast with about 20 ish grams of carbs, because I like to have that energy when I am lifting. I typically do 40 mins of cardio after as well. If I am only doing steady state cardio, I do a fasted cardio - just one scoop of my BCAAs with caffeine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    On run days I eat a half a banana before, and then incorporate the rest into whatever I'm having after. On weights days (if they are first thing, lately they've been at noon) I don't have anything except tea.