I'm addicted to sweets!

Options
It's really bad, and I don't know how to get past it! I crave sugar! I feel like I have no control when it comes to sweets. If it's there, I will eat it... ALL of it! We don't usually buy stuff, but somehow there is always something around to tempt me. I did well the first couple of weeks, hence the 6 lbs lost, but I'm stuck now. It's been so hard, especially with all the Halloween candy and treats. Any advice on how you all manage, especially with more holidays coming up, would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Wish I could give you the advice you search for but however I am pregnant with the samw satiable craving....Im sorry but I know how you feel...I just try to eat a small tiny bit to satisfy the craving at hand and then fill myself up with something healthy....
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I hear you. When I have ANY sugar, I can't stop. That's why:

- I NEVER have it in the house. If it comes into my house, it gets tossed in the trash.
    - I limit my consumption of festive treats to the DAY of the festivities.
    - I'll cut out/limit carbs for a day or so after I indulge to 'detox'
    - When I'm having cravings, I take them one at a time. I've made it through every one of them so far because the food does not leap into my mouth. I have to chose to put it there.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Charmagne
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Zonya Foco, a nutritionist says that if you eat a piece of fruit every 4 hours your sugar cravings will disappear. Usually when you are craving sugar it is the sweetness of fruit that your body really wants. Try and see if it works. I do find as I eat more fruits and vegies my cravings disappear.

I totally understand though. Having candy in the house doesn't bode well for me. The mantra, if I don't buy it I won't eat it sometimes helps too.

You can do this!! Just take one small step at a time!
  • MGJ123
    MGJ123 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I too am an addict. : ( I have been on a diet that allows no sugar whatsoever. I lost weight steadily with it. The first week of being off of the sugar I felt horrible with headaches. After my body got used to it I felt great!!! Once I lost the weight I went right back to sugar and have gained it all back : ( I know what I have to do to lose it again but it is tough. I like that MFP keeps track of my sugar and I know when to cool it for the day. Kinda a constant reminder when I log in my food for the day.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I remember a few years I ago I was listening to a lecture by Dr. Weil who said something to the effect of...."Everyone has a sweet tooth. If you have one, eat fruit!". I always thought that was good advice.
  • krisdw
    krisdw Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I once heard that the reason the body craves sweets is because it's lacking in other nutrition. Would you say you eat fairly balanced, fruits, veggie's, proteins and carbs? Not including any fast food?
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I was the same way! For me controlling my carbs helped me. The more carbs I eat, the more carbs/sugar I wanted! I slowly backed off on carbs, and I craved them less and less. It is a slow process so dont get frustrated! Start by lowering your carbs by 10-15 grams each week. Make sure all your carbs and sugars are healthy like grains and fruits. I currently eat more protein than carbs now, and I dont crave sweets much anymore....with the exception of halloween!! I allowed myself a few treats, and now I am wanting more...so now I am back to low carb diet and It too shall pass!

One thing that helped me also, was find a protein bar or fiber bar that you like, and have that as a sweet treat! I add a little bit of peanut butter to it, and I am good!

Good Luck!
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Honey, I have the same problem, and I have two root canals to prove it! If you put jelly beans, or Mike & Ike's, or Skittles in front of me, they'll be devoured in a heartbeat. But I have a trick that's kept me on track for the past 6 weeks. Jolly Ranchers. I realized that I crave sugar after I eat a meal, so I eat 2 or 3 Jolly Ranchers after lunch and dinner to help curb my sugar attacks. Kinda like an asthma controller, Jolly Ranchers acts as my sugar controller, this way, I won't pig out on candy every time I see or smell it. I opted for a hard candy that I can't chew and can only eat one at a time... slowly. That works for me.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I have quite a sweet tooth too, so I feel your pain . I'm trying to go for reducing my sugar intake GRADUALLY instead of doing it cold turkey. It IS sooo hard though :grumble:
  • JenS2009
    JenS2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I too have a HUGE sweet tooth... ok, I think all of my teeth are sweet teeth. On top of that, I have a husband with the metabolism of a freight train and eats ice cream, hershey bars, brownies, blah blah... which means that there is always SOMETHING sweet in the house. I can be reaching for it and tell myself that it will make me feel horrible after I eat it, I can practically beg myself not to, and I do. I really do crave sweets myself. Unfortunately, fruit doesn't knock out the craving for me. I can keep 100 calorie packs of cookies or whatever and it can take the edge off... but then there is always that second pack. :) Best rule of thumb, don't buy them for yourself, and if you eat a sweet, make yourself exercise it off.... log in the calories and aim to burn them off!!! Because saying not to eat them just isn't realistic for us all... I believe that exercise is the key! Best of luck to you all !!!
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Take a banana and cut it in half, lengthwise. take a Tbsp of peanut butter and spread it over the inside of one half. Put the banana back together (like a sandwich) and put it in the freezer. After it's frozen, you can cut it up into coins and just have one of those when you have a craving for sweets. It seriously tastes like candy and is sooo sweet and yummy!!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Oh, Suzi I'm going to try that! Sounds yummy.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a gateway drug!
  • judswi
    judswi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was the same way it took me 2 weeks of not eating them to not crave them. Good luck.
  • MadiCole
    Options
    I personally don't have too much of a sweet tooth, but every once in a while, it'll sneak up on me. I recently started cutting up a red apple and sprinkling it with cinnamon to deal with cravings. It's not quite the same as candy/ice cream/etc, but it helps. :)