Protein powders...

Options
Obviously I know that meat and nuts are a great source of protein; however, I often find myself so busy that I can't prepare three meals that have protein in it. Especially breakfast, also because I just can't eat that much in the morning. What I'm looking for is a protein powder that I can add in with my food to help boost how much protein I am eating. I've noticed when I up my protein levels above 100grams that my body begins to lose more body fat and I feel more satisfied longer.

Anyways... I guess my issue is I'm trying to find a protein powder that doesn't have a flavor, but isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. These chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry powders are too sweet and it's all I can do to choke them back, but I use them to help up my protein because I can't find any other options. I don't live close to a GNC or other places like that so amazon will probably be my option for where I'll be searching.

Thanks for you advice in advance!

Replies

• dantb32
    dantb32 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's a little tricky to get used to but my wife uses beef gelatin in her smoothies, pancakes, and teas to increase the protein content of them. Just a thought...
    Good Luck!
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I know you said unflavored, but BSN's Syntha-6 Chocolate Cake really just tastes like chocolate milk. It isn't too sweet at all.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    If the sweetness is too much find one with lower surgar count.
    Some of the local grocery store should also sell protien drinks.
    You can also look into Cottage cheese (15g) of protien and Greek Yogurt Plain (15g) of protien.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i pretty much love the body fortress chocolate and chocolate peanut butter from walmart. 15.00. and i like the taste. also i add sometimes an individual creamer thingy. like last night i added a international delights chocolate caramel creamer. added 30 calories and my whole shake tasted like caramel heaven. YUM.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Designer Whey vanilla had absolutely no flavor, it is also sold in most grocery stores!
    100 cal, 19g protein per scoop~

You could also try using powdered egg whites?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Just purchase an unflavored whey or other protein powder. There are lots out there. I currently purchase from a supplier in Canada, but before that I got my whey protein isolate powder here http://www.bulkfoods.com/156-protein-powder.html

By itself it is pretty nasty tasting, but I make a smoothie with some milk, frozen strawberries, protein powder, and honey or stevia depending on whether I want calories from a sweetener.
  • krissenior
    krissenior Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use MyProtein.com Whey Isolate in my porridge, mixes well and im pretty sure it comes in an unflavoured version
  • PaLanteChica
    Options
    Well I don't have much experience with unflavored proteins (I usually buy gold standard whey vanilla ice cream and just flavor it at will with whatever add ins) but I found a few unflavored ones you might want to check out on Amazon. The reviews seemed pretty good on all of them (between 4-4.5 stars).

NOW Foods Egg White Protein Powder (this is basically "powdered egg whites")
    Plant Fusion Diet Supplement- Natural Unflavored
    Jay Robb's Whey Protein (unflavored)

Hope it helps! If not, there are a few decent flavored ones out there, so far my experience with Gold Standard has been a good one and they are relatively cheap too :)
  • rlongfel
    rlongfel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It actually depends. There are a variety of different "types" of protein and all have different benefits. If you want a slower digesting protein to be absorbed evenly throughout the day (or at night), go with a casein. Bodytech Unflavored 100% Casein is a good one. It's available at Vitamin Shoppe. And it truly is "unflavored." I've also mixed it easily in certain recipes like pancakes, etc. For a quicker absorption, there are other options. Here's a good "quick" reference guide.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/content/en/healthguide/hncontent.jsp?resource=/us/assets/feature/protein-power-in-powder-and-liquid-form/~default
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    OP - I agree that so many flavored ones taste too sweet or weird or an aftertaste I just don't like. I have found a GREAT unflavored protein powder that I like all on its own just scooped into 1 cup of milk. It's Allmax Isonatural unflavored whey protein. No sweeteners whatsoever.

Edited to say that I buy mine via Amazon!
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to try different ones as they ALL have some sort of flavor to somebody. Talk to the guys at Vitamin Shoppe or GNC. I know you said you don't live near one, but there is a device that people use to surf and text that has a "telephone" attached to it. :laugh:
  • aerialJay
    Options
    I use pea protein powder in my morning oatmeal when I get back from the Rec, and it isn't sweet at all. Has barely any flavor, so maybe try that? As an added bonus, it doesn't involve casein/whey.
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Obviously I know that meat and nuts are a great source of protein; however, I often find myself so busy that I can't prepare three meals that have protein in it. Especially breakfast, also because I just can't eat that much in the morning. What I'm looking for is a protein powder that I can add in with my food to help boost how much protein I am eating. I've noticed when I up my protein levels above 100grams that my body begins to lose more body fat and I feel more satisfied longer.

Anyways... I guess my issue is I'm trying to find a protein powder that doesn't have a flavor, but isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. These chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry powders are too sweet and it's all I can do to choke them back, but I use them to help up my protein because I can't find any other options. I don't live close to a GNC or other places like that so amazon will probably be my option for where I'll be searching.

Thanks for you advice in advance!

Iso Sensation 93 Natural 5lb tub amortizes best. It is the one I use. One of the best if not the best. Figure $11/lb + shipping.

Taste like regular skim milk when reconsitituted in water.
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I totally agree...I am not a big breakfast eater, but know that I need to have something in the morning and know that I need to have protein. I love Garden of Life RAW Fit Protein Powder. It is unflavored so I can make it anything I want, by changing the additives. I was searching for a protein powder that was actually healthy and did not have all the chemical additives and GMOs. RAW Fit is a USDA certified organic, raw, plant-based vegan high-protein powder. It takes on the flavor of whatever you blend it with. My standard is to blend it with almond milk and add strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. I also love to add raw cacao powder, raw almond butter, and banana...yummmm!! My fall favorite has been to add pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla....delicious!! Since pumpkin is not sweet, I do add a little coconut sugar or maple syrup, but I like that I can control the sweetness...my other combinations are sweet enough for me, so I do not have to add any sweeter to them. It is sold in stores near me, but Amazon has the best price, so I generally order it from Amazon. I hope you try it and like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Protein-Nutritional-Supplement/dp/B00CLD74U8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385495428&sr=8-1&keywords=raw+fit+garden+of+life
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
    greek yogurt
    eggs

awesome protein in all of those..
    and if yuo make over night oats.. it' a great filling breakfast..
    I put protein powder in my yogurt or cottage cheese with the oats, chai seeds, smidge of milk and fruit. So good.