Counting Calores ~ Are they all equal???? Help!!!

Options
If I stay within my calorie count for the day, DOES IT MATTER WHAT I EAT???? Help!!!!!!!

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It does a little as "whole" foods are usally easier for your body to digest and though not necessarily shown by the scale, pretty important for your body to get the nutrients it needs to keep running properly.

Don't get too crazy all at once if you do like/crave/depend on processed foods. Just make small changes one at a time. Before you know it, those things that were once a staple will be things you have on occasion (and enjoy so much more for it).
  • MissKaylaDawn
    Options
    Well, I do recommend trying to eat healthier a lot of the time. Specifically healthy choices i.e. eating out. But i can say from experience that I had to eat out a lot about 2 weeks ago (staying under my calorie limit), and no exercise (I was WAY busy!) and i still lost 3lbs. Trust me, I recommend the healthier choices, I feel so much better when i eat healthy as opposed to eating junk.

Hope this helps.
    Kayla
  • tissyazd
    tissyazd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For me personally it really doesn't--to some extent. I usually try to stay under fat and sodium, but as long as I account for it, I eat it. I know some people do not feel the same way, but I lost 40 pounds with still having some things that aren't healthy. I do however try to eat fruits, veggies, protein--basically a well balanced diet with a treat (piece of candy, ice cream, etc) with what's left over. But there are some days when I eat out that I don't always eat the best. Good luck!
  • Mesmereyes
    Mesmereyes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It does. I also have high blood pressure and in my quest to become healthy, I have figured out you need to pay attention to everything that goes into your body. It is possible to stay within your calorie limits, but be way over in fat, or sodium. Or to not get in enough fruits and vegetables that have many healty vitamins and fiber. So, I've determined it truly is a balanced diet that we need. If it is unbalanced, it should be just an occasional thing that happens. For instance, a birthday party that has you eating too much sugar or a celebration that had you had more than just one glass of wine..... in a month's time! At least that's my plan.... :smile: Good Luck!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie, but with that said, you have to understand, that the body handles different foods differently.

If you eat processed foods, the body does not have to work to convert it into fuel as much as natural foods. An example of that is protein powders and drinks. You will hear how you have to have them and they are the best for you. In really, you get all the protein you need from normal eating. Not only that, but your body burns calories by processing the foods that contain protein, where that powder or drink just goes directly in and out.

Same with processed sugars, straight to the blood stream and on to your butt as fat. *wink*

So yes, a calorie is a calorie, but think before you put that calorie in your mouth, just how will my body processe this calorie and is it going to be good for me.
  • casonyamc
    Options
    Tissyazd, I totally agree with you. I have done the same thing as in still eating what I want, but eating my portions. The only major thing that I have really done was to stop drinking sodas and incorporate more water in my diet. There were times when I wouldn't even drink water, only to brush my teeth. I've managed to lose quite a few pounds. Everyone's body is different and you just have to figure out what works best for you.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want but just eat the serving size and so far it works. That way you can still eat your favorite foods and you dont feel deprived.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I believe that you should get the best calorie bang for your buck. The right kinds of foods will fill you up and satisfy you.

When I am careful about my choices (whole grains, fruits and vegetables, lean proteins and a moderate amount of fat) I am never hungry. If I make poor food choices (potato chips for lunch and ice cream for dinner) I am starving.

Here's a super-eye opening website with pictures of different 200 calorie portions...

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-200-calories-look-like.htm
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I find that for myself, it is way easier to stay full by eating home made, unprocessed foods. It is also easier to keep my sodium levels under control, as I am very prone to water retention if I have too much sodium or forgot to drink enough water in a day. If I have to eat out, I choose smarter options. One thing I do is have the new "chicken snack wraps" that are popping up everywhere, but I have that as my meal, instead of as a snack. Sometimes I will ask for no sauce or half sauce to reduce the calories as well. It is usually enough to satisfy without blowing the calorie budget and is a relatively healthy option.
  • exquisiteboutiques
    Options
    Thanks EVERYBODY! I wasn't going off the wagon per se but I ate homemade pancakes no meat and stayed under my calorie count for breakfast. I've been staying away from the pancakes but figured I could have a few today if I paid close attention to my portions and calories. THANKS AGAIN!!!!! i LOVE THIS SITE AND THE SUPPORT EVERYONE GIVES :flowerforyou:
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Let see...this is going to sound funny but if you eat under your maintenance calories and eat nothing but Twinkies you will lose weight but you'll be a Twinkie. Sad but true. Choosing a healthier life style is all about eating right and exercising. 70-80% of your success comes from the food you eat so making better choices you will see better changes.
    So, no...not all calories are created equal. 100 Calories of Sweet Potatoe and better then 100 calories in Twinkies. They are both carbs but one is way bad for you and the wrong kind of carb.
    Here is another side. You can go to Burger King and get a Whopper with Cheese (760 Calories), Large Fries (540 Calories) and a Chocolate shake (30 oz, 960 Calories). That's 2260 calories in 1 meal. You know how much healthy food that is. That's a whole day for most. I eat under 2000 healthy calories a day and I'm never hungry. I eat 6-8 times a day.
    Hope this helps
  • staceybug13
    Options
    I would say yes. A certain amount of calories of unhealthy food vs. the same amount of healthier food makes a difference. I know it's hard to change eating habits all at once, so take it one step at a time.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Technically yes, but eventually your health would catch up with you.

However, if you've been eating good all day, have 200 calories left and want to get some ice cream in, I say definitely. Everything in moderation of course, but yes, a calorie is a calorie.
  • laurenbausch
    Options
    How much does sodium play a part in weight loss? I'm afraid I'm having way too much sodium!!!
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thanks EVERYBODY! I wasn't going off the wagon per se but I ate homemade pancakes no meat and stayed under my calorie count for breakfast. I've been staying away from the pancakes but figured I could have a few today if I paid close attention to my portions and calories. THANKS AGAIN!!!!! i LOVE THIS SITE AND THE SUPPORT EVERYONE GIVES :flowerforyou:

Ah, no problem there. Life is too short to turn down homemade pancakes forever. You did exactly right, enjoyed the pancakes, logged them and kept within your limits for the day. Nice work!
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yes they are equal, but it's about making choices that work best with your body.

I could eat 1300 calories a day of swedish fish candy with no fiber or protein, but my body would get sluggish and tired. Also, the lack of nutrients, protein, and fiber would not leave me feeling satisfied which most likely would make me binge later on other foods.

I pick foods that will keep my body satisfied until its time to eat again!
  • Wwannabe
    Wwannabe Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think one issue issue is that if you eat empty, fatty calories, you will be eating a very small volume of food. So you will feel like you are deprived. If you eat healthily, especially a balanced diet with lots of vegetables and some fruit, you can eat a larger *volume* of food. You'll be able to divide that food up as you like, so you won't *run out* of calories halfway thru the day (lol!)

The second issue that many of us would not feel good if we eat empty calories only--too much sugar can make you feel lousy, white bread too. And many of us need lots of fibre to function well, and that implies fresh vegetables and whole grains.

And then there's all the health issues--sodium, saturated fat, sugar. Yuck.