So i tried something new today (spinning)

Options
In the interest of not getting stuck in a fitness rut, I decided to try some new fitness classes while I'm off work this week. I went to a spin class this morning. I think it could be an awesome workout and the music and the instructor were both very motivational. However, I only made it 25 min because the seat of the bike was so uncomfortable. I've looked into some padded biking pants. If anyone has tried them do they actually work? For experienced spinners, how long before the butt soreness stops? I think I could really burn a lot of calories doing this and Im feeling the burn in my legs. :wink:

While Im at it I think I'm going to try body pump. What do you guys think about this class?

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Oh I love spinning! I haven't done it in ages but I really enjoyed it when I was going!

And boy do I remember the initial pain! Mostly numbness in my girlie region! Ha ha ha It honestly goes away after about a week of REGULAR spinning, I never bought any fancy shorts but I do hear a lot of other avid spinners and bikers who swear by them. The only antidote is to KEEP GOING, that way your body gets used to it so you'll have to push through the first few classes!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Body pump is fun, but to me it was hard. It gets a lot easier though the more you do it. It's a lot of weights and squatting. I've heard a lot of people say it is "good for beginners" which is a shame because I thought it was hard as hell lol
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some biking shorts with chamois (padding). Also make sure your bike is setup properly as that can also make you sore. If they haven't already, your instructor will help you with that.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Spinning is the best workout! I am addicted to it!! Once you get used to going (try it a few more times), you will get used to the seat and be able to sustain the whole class. When I first started, I only got through 15 minutes, then 30 minutes, then the full 45 mins. I knew it was hard so I built it up slowly. After that I was set! I kept going and even do some Super Spin classes (60 min) .

If you really need padding, maybe buy special biker shorts but I think if you adjust your bike properly and just give it some time, you will be okay! Most of the classes are usually running on the bike anyway, not sitting, so I would just keep at it! Good job! You will definitely see results!
  • trilei75
    trilei75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd love to try spinning, but I'm so nervous about it. I've heard about the sore butt issues and I know I couldn't make it through a full class the first time. Perhaps soon I'll bite the bullet & give it a try!
  • navy_taxi
    Options
    Good luck with the spinning! I second the advice about making sure the bike is set up properly - it made a massive difference to the amount of discomfort I remember experiencing.

I would say it's worth checking out Pump if you're interested. I found that it helped me feel more confident using free weights so I could take this confidence (plus knowledge from NROLFW, SS, Stumptuous.com, etc) into the gym and start performing real strength workouts.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    My advice is, just TRY IT. You don;t have to do the full class! Start off slow...do what you can! Nobody stops you if you walk out. Come back again and try harder the next time. It gets easier and more fun, once you get the hang of it!
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The butt soreness is inevitable. I took a few months off since putting my bike away for the winter (it gets cold here early) and starting spin again. Even with padded shorts, I still got sore sit bones. It's just a matter of time in the saddle.

I hate it while I'm doing it, but love the workout I get!
  • AllenTGregory
    AllenTGregory Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh 260 and I do spin class once a week. The bikes at my gym say that I burn about 400-450 for an hour of class. But that can't be right because I get on the elliptical for 30 minutes and burn that same amount. I work MUCH harder in spin class than on the elliptical.

I just went to two different websites (Self dot com and Glamour dot com) that had calculators and they say I burn about 1300 calories per class. I had no idea it was that much. Even if it's off, I still burn at least 1000 calories in an hour.

Spin class is awesome. I have flat feet so I probably need to get some insoles that's the only reason I don't do it more. I should probably do 3 classes a week. I think that's something I'm going to shoot for.

Having said all that, go for it. It's worth it.
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The pain will definitely go away if you do 3 to 4 classes over a couple of weeks. Just give yourself a few days between classes for recovery of your sit bones.

I love spin, good on you for giving it a go, it can be quite intimidating if you've never been!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The sore sit bones goes away fairly quickly (make sure your bike is set up properly, most club quality spinning bikes have an almost infinite range of adjustment)

Padded shorts will help, I only broke down a few years ago and bought biking shorts when I started doing rides that were 100km and more - it certainly made a difference for me on long rides. They feel like you're wearing a diaper at first but after a few rides you don't even notice the chamois.