New and need support! Gained 25 lbs after knee injury!

Options
Really could use some support. I feel awful about myself and just need to get back on it. Got released to start working out last week. I'm going to do this, just need a few friends to help along the way. Thanks.

Replies

• Cedura
    Cedura Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey, I love giving and getting support. I know how much surgery can set you back (I had 4 arm surgeries last year and still have not gotten clearance to lift more than 10 lbs with my arms). Add me if you like :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    what kinda knee injury? I tore my acl in june and instantly dropped my calorie level down about 250 , and its been a massive struggle to keep from gaining. i did gain about 5 lbs over 5 months.
  • jenniferlthomas0305
    Options
    Would love to help! Sending a request! :)
  • Richgirl175
    Richgirl175 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I understand about surgery and weight after my ankle sugery and i just counldnot walk for a while, i gained so much weight. I will be cheering you on, as we cheer each other on!
  • michelleboltz
    Options
    I have a similar goal of wanting to lose 25 lbs. I have done this so many times- (2 kids, lifestyle changes), but here I am finding myself needing to do it again!! I have never utilized an online support system, so am hoping it will help! I am at my highest weight in my adult life (165) and needing to get to a reasonable 140lbs so I don't have to buy a new wardrobe!!! I don't know how to "add" a friend, but will try to figure it out.
  • jcouri1
    Options
    Hi Misti =) im new as well to the website. im a junior in college and am majoring in sports science. Im sorry about your knee i tore my acl in football freshman year and it was horrendous recovering from the experience. Make sure to keep up with your rehab and get the knee back up too tip top shape. What i used to do was in between sets of rehab exercises i would either do push ups, pull ups, chin ups, or some form of crunches to keep the rest of the body working and this can get quite a sweat going and lead to a caloric deficit! Remember your body is still recovering so ease back into everything and really try to focus on the diet because working out will take some time to get back to your pre-injury level. Try to stretch out as much as possible and just take the baby steps needed to rid this injury for good! hope this helped a bit!
  • Mistya81
    Mistya81 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I just got put in a BIG knee brace in hopes that it will heal up in 10 days. If not, I will need an MRI to see what's going on.

I would also be grateful for support so feel free to add me. :) I'm scared of losing all of the progress I've already made. I primarily do Muay Thai and run. It's been hard to get into that routine so the thought of not being able to do those things really scares me. I'm scared of putting on weight again, losing fitness and maybe not being able to return to the sport.

When does somebody start 'rehab'? I'm assuming that this can't be done while I still have the leg brace? When people say "relax" do they mean not being active at all? Is there a role for physiotherapy in this?

Thanks,

Mistya
  • SuckerPunch77
    SuckerPunch77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I just got put in a BIG knee brace in hopes that it will heal up in 10 days. If not, I will need an MRI to see what's going on.

I would also be grateful for support so feel free to add me. :) I'm scared of losing all of the progress I've already made. I primarily do Muay Thai and run. It's been hard to get into that routine so the thought of not being able to do those things really scares me. I'm scared of putting on weight again, losing fitness and maybe not being able to return to the sport.

When does somebody start 'rehab'? I'm assuming that this can't be done while I still have the leg brace? When people say "relax" do they mean not being active at all? Is there a role for physiotherapy in this?

Thanks,

Mistya

there is so much you can still do! i tore my acl and miniscus playing soccer and was "out " for about a year (diagnosis, mri, surgery, recovery/rehab). I was on a bike the week after my surgery and in physio. it hurt like heck - it was tough- but so worth it. I was cleared for prctice in less than 6 months post surgery. What i also did was a lot of upper body stuff too, to compinsate as well as to maintain a workout routine. it helped a lot mentally and physically. i think the take away is don't let the knee be an excuse to change your habits. it may be difficult but, it'll pay off.

Anyone going through this, feel free to add me if you need any support, motivation, or just someone to compare experiences with:)

Toni