bloating after heavy lifting

Options
I have been doing strong lifts program past 3 months and I see that my weight increase and also there is puffiness in my body , there is no inch loss as well. Had heard bloating occurs due to lack of water , but I take on an average 12glasses of water (250 ml glass) per day
I also noticed that if I do not work out for a week it dissappear.

Is it normal for the body to bloat after heavy workout or am I supposed to have something like protein shake to avoid bloating and also weight?

Replies

• Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    Bloating after a heavy workout does not occur because of a lack of water, but because your muscles retain high levels of water which they use for recovery. After a few days (or a week, depending on how hard the workout was), your muscles will recover and they will let go of the water.

Right now it's important for you to keep drinking water, but not binging on it. Drink a lot of water, but don't do it all at once as your body will not have the capacity to absorb your water intake if it's too quick. Drink a glass here and a glass there, not a liter here and a liter there (just make it often enough to still get at least 2-3 liters of water a day).
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Its been 3months and the bloating is not going unless I completely stop my work out for a week
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing. I don't know the solution except keep going and wait it out. Eventually it goes away (without stopping your workouts). When it does, you will get a nice surprise on the scale.
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    Its been 3months and the bloating is not going unless I completely stop my work out for a week

Have you tried changing your workout routine, or the intensity of your training? Perhaps "de-loading" for a week can help you. Google "de-load" for more information.
  • jmzz1
    Options
    So that means I am not supposed to lift heav?
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    No, a deload is a week where you do the same basic exercises, but at less weight. You can think of it like an "active rest week". It's good to take one every month or so.

As for your weight/inches problem, I really have no idea. Are you paying attention to your diet? Weight gain/maintenance/loss is a diet thing, not an exercise thing.

One more thing, when you workout you also get a "pump" from the blood that rushes into your muscles. This usually goes away pretty quickly (in a few hours), but could it be that you're mistaking that for bloating? Might make you "feel" bigger, though naturally the affect on your weight would be zero.
  • Lactic acid causes bloating too and it is produced in muscles during exertion. You MUST NOT follow a heavy lifting program every day of the week. Muscles need time to recover... Muscles grow between workouts, but only if provided enough time and proper nutrition to generate growth. No one says you're not supposed to lift heavy, but you also need resting time. How many times per week are you following the "same" routine? Do you change your body part split each time? You cannot have the same routine everyday. Use a split workout. One day you can work on your chest and back, the other day on your shoulders and arms and last day work your legs.
    How long have you been following the same workout routine for?
    You cannot see any difference in inches if you're not resting and your body keeps bloating.
    Anyway, focus on your diet, try different workout routines and you'll get there. It's normal to gain some weight when you start lifting. ( That's why: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hgJKWyN6Siw/UFEaQdXRbSI/AAAAAAAAADg/dFjk3kJJ_Y8/s1600/muscle-vs-fat.jpg ), but you'll see these inches dropping soon enough!
    Also weight and measure yourself, as soon as you get out of bed. Don't eat or drink much water before you do. During your period, avoid measuring or weighting, you'll see the results will get crazy :p
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Question from someone who is admittitly dumb about this. I strength train with a Pilates machine, using resistance bands and my own body weight. I realize this is not "lifting" as you all do it, but it is strength training for muscle development. I had a weight increase of several pounds last week when I increased my reps and added another workout day from 3-4. It did come back down, but does what I'm reading here about lifting and weight/water gain, apply to what I'm doing as well?
  • jmzz1
    Options
    No, a deload is a week where you do the same basic exercises, but at less weight. You can think of it like an "active rest week". It's good to take one every month or so.

As for your weight/inches problem, I really have no idea. Are you paying attention to your diet? Weight gain/maintenance/loss is a diet thing, not an exercise thing.

One more thing, when you workout you also get a "pump" from the blood that rushes into your muscles. This usually goes away pretty quickly (in a few hours), but could it be that you're mistaking that for bloating? Might make you "feel" bigger, though naturally the affect on your weight would be zero.
    I have been eating quite clean with 1300 calories per day and 180 gms of carb , 70-80gms of protein and 60-70 gms of fat
  • jmzz1
    Options
    Lactic acid causes bloating too and it is produced in muscles during exertion. You MUST NOT follow a heavy lifting program every day of the week. Muscles need time to recover... Muscles grow between workouts, but only if provided enough time and proper nutrition to generate growth. No one says you're not supposed to lift heavy, but you also need resting time. How many times per week are you following the "same" routine? Do you change your body part split each time? You cannot have the same routine everyday. Use a split workout. One day you can work on your chest and back, the other day on your shoulders and arms and last day work your legs.
    How long have you been following the same workout routine for?
    You cannot see any difference in inches if you're not resting and your body keeps bloating.
    Anyway, focus on your diet, try different workout routines and you'll get there. It's normal to gain some weight when you start lifting. ( That's why: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hgJKWyN6Siw/UFEaQdXRbSI/AAAAAAAAADg/dFjk3kJJ_Y8/s1600/muscle-vs-fat.jpg ), but you'll see these inches dropping soon enough!
    Also weight and measure yourself, as soon as you get out of bed. Don't eat or drink much water before you do. During your period, avoid measuring or weighting, you'll see the results will get crazy :p
    I do strong lifts 5×5 for 3 days in a week
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Question from someone who is admittitly dumb about this. I strength train with a Pilates machine, using resistance bands and my own body weight. I realize this is not "lifting" as you all do it, but it is strength training for muscle development. I had a weight increase of several pounds last week when I increased my reps and added another workout day from 3-4. It did come back down, but does what I'm reading here about lifting and weight/water gain, apply to what I'm doing as well?
    Yes. Any change in routine will cause your muscles to hold onto extra water for repair.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Yes. Any change in routine will cause your muscles to hold onto extra water for repair.

Thanks! That's good to know as I continue to add reps and different moves. Now I know what to expect. I still have 75 pounds to lose so the scale going up is really scary.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

I have been eating quite clean with 1300 calories per day and 180 gms of carb , 70-80gms of protein and 60-70 gms of fat

Ah ok, and what is your maintenance? You might be eating too little. Working SL5x5, you're probably burning around 200-300 calories per workout (nevermind if you're also doing cardio on other days), so your net intake is only around 1,000. That's not much at all for most women.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Ah ok, and what is your maintenance? You might be eating too little. Working SL5x5, you're probably burning around 200-300 calories per workout (nevermind if you're also doing cardio on other days), so your net intake is only around 1,000. That's not much at all for most women.

I agree, also the protein intake seems quite low considering the routine she is on.

OP: I would suggest cutting carbs to 40-50% of cals and increase your protein to at least 30% is you stick with 1300 cals, otherwise aim for a minimum of 100 grams of protein, fat intake looks good though.
  • You might be eating too little.
    Totally true! Most women trying to lose some pounds are reducing the calories' intake so much that are turning their body into starving mode. 1200kcal/day is the minimum amount someone should take (LCD). Now, calculate how many kcal you're losing through exercise and add some up!