Healthy Snacks for a teenager?

Options
So i'm 19 and on my weight loss Journey.. Well.. I basically just started a week ago. Anyways I've started to eat dinner a lot earlier and have a strict no carbs past 7pm rule. But the problem is by like 9-10ish I get hungry again. Any healthy snacks that you guys can suggest. I've started buying some raw baby carrots, granola bars, apples. But I want some more variety. Any advice at all will help . Thanks

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    the same as healthy snacks for an adult :)

If you're getting hungry by 9/10 it makes me wonder about your dinner - when you eat it, what it consists of etc. Fibre and protein are great for making you feel full.

Me, if I'm nibbly at night, I go peanut butter, rice crackers, fruit, a small piece of chocolate, yoghurt, a big bottle of water, a Lebanese cucumber, a couple of dried apricots or a couple of ryvita crackers with feta dip.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky is my lifesaver snack. Low or no carbs, keeps me full for a long time. Delicious!
    Might be a better general rule to just keep simple carbs (bread, pasta, sugar) to a minimum throughout the day.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    cheese stick, beef jerky, cherry tomatoes, nuts, and cut up veggies. Just remember to carry floss with the jerky.
  • euonymust
    Options
    I used to be in a similar predicament as you. I realized that I wasn't getting enough protein during dinner, and that I'm not really hungry, but instead dehydrated and bored. Some of the snacks that work for me are; granola bars, egg rolls, a mixture of fresh fruits, a cup of yogurt, crackers and cheese, veggie sticks, low fat popcorn, bowl of cereal with almond/skim milk, cup of hot chocolate and of course portion control on all of these. Eating at night can contribute to weight gain only if you're exceeding your caloric limit, other than that it doesn't really matter what time of the day you eat.
  • rachelkharr
    Options
    It's just as everyone is saying; you're not doing something right with dinner. You may be eating it too early? I aim between 5-6:00 pm. No later. I usually eat either fish or chicken, with brown rice (fiber which keeps you full), and a lot of fresh-lightly steamed veggies. Another thing is I hit the bed around 9-10. Sometimes earlier. So once you start feeling a bit hungry just try to go to sleep. No point in taking extra calories with you to bed. That really is my routine, it works for me, everyone's different, but I hope I could help :)
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened apple sauce
    Pickles
    Apples - (Avoid the honeycrisp which are loaded with sugars)
    Carrots
    Broccoli
    I buy premixed bags of salad and will eat a salad (2 servings < 50 calories) and add a lowfat dressing.
    Rice Cakes - 50 calories each
    Lowfat cheese sticks
    Fiber One 90 calorie bars
    Yogurt - I get the Kroger carbsmart, but the zero or low fat works too.
    Shredded Wheat squares - without the powdered sugar topping make a good snack (or plain Cheerios )