Over half way there - 45 pounds down in less than 15 weeks

Options
The success stories and message boards on MFP have really helped push me and keep me going. Some of the transformations have been truly eye opening.

I am only at my midway point, but I wanted to share my "little" victory...

At 37 years of age, I realized that my health was going in the wrong direction.

After a pretty messy divorce, followed by two years of grad school, I completely let myself go. My blood pressure was high, my HDL was way too low, my waist/belly measurement was just out of control. I wasn't happy with the way I looked, but I felt like I wouldn't live to 60 with the way that I was going.

I ate like complete crap. I downed regular pop/soda by the 2 liter. I skipped breakfast, and ate all sorts of bad stuff late at night. I didn't exercise. Basically, a recipe for disaster.

In July, I moved up to Minnesota for a new job and a new lease on life. This was the time that I was going to change my lfiestyle and habits. I have an amazingly supportive family, and phenomenal friends.

On July 15, 2013, I weighed in at the heaviest I have ever been, 255 pounds. The scarier number was that my waist (measured at my belly button was 49 inches). I store fat around the midsection, like a lot of guys, and this just isn't good for long term health. Fast forward to today, November 26th, and and I reached a new low of 210 pounds, and a 42 inch waist (note I measure my waist at full exhale/pushed out...regular posture I am just a hair under 40 inches).

I've had good days and bad days along this 14 1/2 week journey, but you must just push through. You don't need to make all of your changes at once. For the first 2 weeks, I just cut out regular pop/soda, and lost from just doing that. Then I got my nutrition in order. Then I added in cardio. Finally, about 5 weeks ago, I added weightlifting to the mix.

Starting condition (July15, 2013):
Bodyweight: 255 pounds
Waist: 49 inches (fully pushed out)
Chest: 48 inches
Neck: 18.5 inches
Blood pressure: 145/96
HDL: 26

Current condition (November 25, 2013):
Bodyweight: 210 pounds
Waist: 42 inches (fully pushed out)
Chest: 46 inches
Neck: 17 inches
Blood pressure: 128/88
HDL: ?

For me, goal setting was very important. At work, we had a 8 week weight loss contest that ended a couple of weeks ago. Out of 13,300 participants, I finished #16th...and the first place person's weight loss included giving birth to an 8 pound baby during the contest period ;-) Overall, I am now down 45 pounds in about 17 weeks.

In terms of intermediate/long-term goals, in 4 weeks I am visiting my girlfriend's family for the first time, so I am gunning to break below the magic 200 pound barrier by then. In February we are going to Cancun, so I am gunning to be around 170-180 pounds and somewhere between 12-15% bodyfat to look like I want to in a bathing suit.

My nutrition is definitely low carb, but I do allow myself to "splurge" from time to time on carb heavy meals. For the majority of the period I have been in ketosis. It is definitely not for everyone, but it has helped me in two important ways. First, it helped me get some very quick weight loss at the beginning (even if some of it was water and glycogen depletion) and this helped mentally get excited. Second, I am just not hungry. When I consumer higher levels of carbs, I naturally consume more calories than my TDEE. With low carbs, I naturally consume less calories than my TDEE. I really don't count calories now because I don't need to.

sidecomparison_zps9e37a4b0.jpg

4cf14692-c486-4d2c-ad52-33e15cc202d3_zpsb0ae2774.jpg

backcomparison_zpsbb5fad39.jpg

Although I certainly enjoy looking better, and younger, I am most happy about the health changes so far. I have so much more energy, i'm getting much better sleep, I'm not winded going up stairs, and my blood pressure is done into the normal range :-)

P.S. I am always looking for new MFP friends!

Replies

• kkmalay
    kkmalay Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    wow!!! nice work! you look ten years younger too, good on you, all the best for the rest of your journey, your killing it :)
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    wow awesome transformation!!! Great job!! Good luck on reaching your goal, I have no doubt you will get there before your vacay!
  • Regan45
    Regan45 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Wow! You're belly totally disappeared!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    First of all- good job!!

second -WOOOO Minnesota *highfive* we rock here :)

well done sir
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    You sir, are doing great! Thanks for sharing your story, I love hearing of other's hard work and success.
  • graced111
    graced111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wow you look great. I agree 10 years younger looking too. : )
  • jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Great transformation!!! Thank you for sharing your story :flowerforyou:
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Amazing work! You look great!!
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Also, the "winner" of your work's weight loss competition totally cheated!! Totally unfair to count the weight of the baby IMO!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    What a difference in such a short period of time! You look great!
  • babyluu80
    babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow! What an amazing accomplishment so far and we have no doubt you'll reach your goal! *high five* Minnesota!!!!
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Options
    Amazing transformation! I have an identical body shape to what you used to have, with the round belly and everything, so I loved seeing what it will look like down the line. Thanks!
  • madlab7
    madlab7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Where did the tat go? Very motivating post as I was about 15 pounds heavier than you when I started. Great seeing results on a similar build and knowing how long I have to go!
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    amazing! truly and inspiration! you look really young too!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Well done but where's that tattoo gone??
  • kirschkuchen
    kirschkuchen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Excellent job! You look great.
  • thmgoodw
    Options
    Well done but where's that tattoo gone??

Good catch :-) I accidentally took the photo from the other side this morning, and because I wanted to face the same direction in the sequence, I flipped the image :-)
  • kath755
    kath755 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Nice work (and welcome to Minnestoa)!!! Just think, we burn extra calories just trying to stay warm!! Like you, I'm motivated by an upcoming trip to Puerto Rico in late January. Perfect timing, as it's keeping me "honest" during this tempting holiday season. Keep up the great work!
  • Masonless
    Masonless Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Holy amazing transformation! You lost 45 pounds and at least 10 years!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!