Jogging when icy/snow

Options
Hi there!

I've started jogging in September and I really like it. I went for a run yesterday night and the roads were icy. I didn't fall or anything but it was slippery.
How do you guys do to keep running during winter?
I've been told to use crampons but others told me it was hard to run with them and that you need a lot of snow to be comfortable with it.
Others told me to run with my regular shoes but do smaller steps to avoid falling.
I bought new shoes in September and I really like it but don't have the money to invest in winter shoes too.
Also, keep in mind that I live in Québec so... I probably have seen more snow than most of you will ever seen in your life haha!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I try to run on the road instead of the sidewalk. good news for you is you'll probaby have more snow than ice this winter since the temps are cooler there. snow is a lot easier to run on than ice. I'm in SW ontario, and since we'll have days at or above freezing periodically all winter, I'll have to contend with ice. shorten steps, pay attention to where you are running and run on the road whenever possible. I have had yaktrax before, but prefer to not use them.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The most important thing I've learned from winter running is to shorten your stride, make sure your forward foot does not extend past your hips very much (ie keep your feet under you at all times). I've survived several winters this way and have only fallen a couple of times (both times on my own street close to home due to a lapse is attention)

I have YakTrax which I have only used a few times, just when it's icy and prefer to run without them.

I've also heard of runners putting short machine screws in the tread of their shoes (haven't tried it myself)

The one thing I am trying that's different this year is I'm going to try trail shoes with a gore-ex lining to keep my feet dry and a more aggressive tread than you'd normally see in a running shoe.

I don't run if there's freezing rain (I'm crazy but not suicidal...)

One thing that I have found to be worth their weight in gold is merino wool socks, much warmer than regular running socks and wool stays warm if it does get wet.

Have fun!
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I use yaktracks and I like them, but they really are best for running where they don't plow the roads down to the pavement or trails after a snowmobile has gone through. I wouldn't recommend them if your running on mostly pavement with spots of snow ice.

I'd say only run during the day and pay careful attention to where you are going. No shame in a treadmill though. Safety first.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Stay home!

Run on a treadmill in a gym, or do a home workout of pushups, situps, squats, lunges, etc.
  • Kanyon17
    Kanyon17 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for you advices! I guess I'll go with the shorter steps and I think there is a trail in the woods close to where I live. I'll try that. The only problem is I run mostly at night when it's dark and I don't think running in the woods when it's dark is a good idea...

DMZ_1, thanks for the advice, but I already go to a crossfit gym 3x a week ans I wanted to improve my cardio. I don't want to pay a membership in a gym only to go on a treadmill and I can't run on these things, it,s a motivation killer for me :) but thanks!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're running in the dark (on a trail or on the road) invest in a decent headlamp, my Petzl LED does a pretty good job of lighting up the bike paths for my early morning runs. It's also great as a way to be seen wen running along the road (invest in a running jacket with 360° reflective stripes.

Depending on where you live (not that I'm paranoid) it may be advisable to run with a buddy when it's dark and always let someone know where you're running and when you expect to return.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm in MN and have seen my fair share of snow! I don't like to run when it's dark due to not being able to see well. IMO the risk of injury is higher. I would buy a headlight, if you have to run at night and either run with a buddy or make sure you have your phone. I don't run on ice. I have run on snow with shoe spikes, but I prefer to wait until the roads are cleared a bit by the plows, then I go. I can usually get out at least once a week, usually twice.
  • a1wonder
    a1wonder Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Two option other than jogging in runners
    In the winter time my SO and I switch to cross country skiing, great workout not just for cardio but for the upper body, plus you have some beautful trails near you :)

Second, I was just looking at asking for running snow shoes for xmas from MEC (I'm from Winnipeg LOTS AND LOTS of snow coming soon). The footprint of the snow shoe look very interesting apparently both jogging and running in them is super easy.

Good luck, run safe
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I ran through the winter last year. Shorten steps and slow down (you WILL be slower on ice/snow). I know there are cleat type running shoes you can buy as well. Good luck!
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I love to winter run, I use Ice Grippers not Yak Trax. I have used both and found the YT slippery if you hit dry pavement or sidewalk. The Ice Grippers are not slippery and not uncomfortable I didn't even know they were there until I tried to run without them then I knew how good they were.
    I bought mine at the local running store for about $20.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have been calling them Ice Gripers they are Ice Trekkers on Amazon for $24
  • splashtree2
    Options
    Thank you all for you advices! I guess I'll go with the shorter steps and I think there is a trail in the woods close to where I live. I'll try that. The only problem is I run mostly at night when it's dark and I don't think running in the woods when it's dark is a good idea...

DMZ_1, thanks for the advice, but I already go to a crossfit gym 3x a week ans I wanted to improve my cardio. I don't want to pay a membership in a gym only to go on a treadmill and I can't run on these things, it,s a motivation killer for me :) but thanks!

i love running on the snow i simply slow down i use off trail shoes and i feel very very ok...during night i can even run drank
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm in Alberta so I hear you; we get a ton of snow here too! I'd love to run outside right now however the risk of slipping on the ice is too high especially since I'm out hours before the sun comes up so it's usually pretty dark and hard to see where I'm stepping. My gym has a big indoor track that I use. Can't wait for spring!
  • Kanyon17
    Kanyon17 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to let you know that I bought some cheap crampons at a local hardware store and went for a run yesterday. They are wonderfull on ice, a little lest on snow but nothing would have helped me on this kind of snow... I ran slower but I did not fall so I'm really happy! I applied the smaller steps tricks and it also helped!

Thnaks a lot guys!