Healthiest & tastiest way to cook chicken breast?

Options

Replies

• belladiva47
    belladiva47 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I just did some chicken parm today. You can either go with a light breading, or just pan sear it. Add some spaghetti sauce and a bit of cheese.

Before that, I did a pulled chicken. Just throw them in a crockpot with some Italian dressing, salt, pepper, and BBQ sauce.

I usually get my chicken through Zaycon foods, so I end up with like 40lbs of it at a time. I've come up with quite a few ways to cook it.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I usually put my chicken covered in seasoning on tin foil and close the foil around the chicken (like a tin foil baggie) and bake that way, directly on the rack. I've never had it come out dry this way.

This is how I bake mine in the oven, usually for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees. They always comes out moist and well seasoned. :-)
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Artichoke Chicken

I use a whole cut up chicken with a skin & bones so it comes out juicy. If you are doing this for just chicken breast you'll have to adjust ingredient amounts and cooking time.

Preheat oven to 375.

1 onion cut into quarters or chunks the size of the artichoke hearts
    1 can quarters artichoke hearts (not marinated)
    1 container of sliced mushrooms
    lay all of these in the bottom of baking dish and put chicken on top

1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup white cooking wine
    2-3 cloves of garlic minced
    2-3 T dijon mustard of your choice (I use a garlic aioli mustard)
    1 t dried thyme
    1 t dried tarragon
    1 t dried basil

Mix those ingredients together and pour over chicken. Bake for 1 hour and baste a few times. Enjoy!
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Pan seared with garlic and olive oil spray, but mostly grilled sprinkled with Lowry's seasoning
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Watch this video... it's seriously how I make my chicken everyday. It's AMAZING!!! Super tender and super easy!! Don't want to sound dramatic but it changed my life. I used to be so intimidated by chicken because it always came out dry and tough. Not anymore!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmWxfGmlzn0
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I made this in my hotel room today. Chicken breast was put into a ziploc bag with soy sauce, and I put that in the little hot water heater they have in all the rooms. It stays below boiling most of the time. Came out super tender. Can't resize with my iPad.

7a24aa0abfae5e73d284ba78c719f7ec_zpse11094d8.jpg

^^ think we need a whole new thread with some of your hotel room recipes for cooking healthy!
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    Mine usually turn out dry and just tasteless, so yeah tips?

Brine them first, don't overcook them. An internal temp of 140-150 is perfectly fine

I'm a huge fan of brining. It does wonders for turkey, chicken, pork...
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

I'm not going to claim "healthy" but my 2 favorite ways to cook chicken breast are put them into a glass pan and:

1. Cover them in Sriracha and bake them or
    2. Cover them in Buffalo sauce (Frank's Red Hot or Tabasco Buffalo) and bake them.

Super simple and awesome - the thick layer of sauce keeps them moist and adds lots of flavor.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options

How do you cook them? Do you marinate them before? How long do you cook for? I cook my chicken breasts different ways. I have used the George Foreman grill, I have baked them in the oven as well as a pan, and have done the crockpot. They certainly don't turn out dry for me. Check out some Youtube videos on cooking chicken. I use YouTube a lot for recipes and advice on how to cook things.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Plain chicken breast is easy.

Turn upside down, wrap loosely in silver foil and bang it in the oven until cooked.

The foil keeps the moisture in and turning it upside down makes all the moisture run to the top of the breast.

For bonus points, wrap in bacon while roasting.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    buy Mojo criollo marinade and let it sit in a bowl for an hour, stab it with a fork to get the marinade in the breast and trow it on the bbq...delicious and juicy
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    bake that sht.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I don't really like cooking, so I try to make things easy. When I cook chicken, I put it in a covered pan with enough water to cover the bottom - I find this stops it from drying out. Putting salsa on before you cook it is really easy and pretty tasty. Or else I'll just throw some basil & garlic on, or a lemon-herb spice mixture I bought.
  • ndwildbill
    ndwildbill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love them on the George Foreman. Wash and dry, then spray with butter flavor cooking spray. Put whatever seasoning you like and rub it in. Sometimes lemon pepper, maybe garlic pepper... Old Bay is good, cajun seasoning is good too... What ever you like. Sometimes marinate in teriyaki sauce. Don't over cook, but not easy to do on the Forman.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I made this in my hotel room today. Chicken breast was put into a ziploc bag with soy sauce, and I put that in the little hot water heater they have in all the rooms. It stays below boiling most of the time. Came out super tender. Can't resize with my iPad.

Love travel cooking ideas. The soy would have added a bit of flavour. Are you saying that you cooked the chicken on the hot water heater while it was still in the bag?
  • Samthefrog
    Samthefrog Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I never thought this would be true, but Crock Pot slow cooking chicken keeps it pretty moist and it keeps for a few days without that weird reheated chicken-y taste! We usually line the bottom with lots of onions, some garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and maybe a tomato. We cook on high for 4 hours. Yum and you get a vat of broth you can use for soup, too!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I do 5# of skinless chicken breasts at a time with a can of rotel habanero tomatoes in the crockpot. I put them in in the morning and in the afternoon I shred it and portion out into 6 ounce "portions." I do the same thing with pork tenderloin the next day (5 ounce portions for pork) and my freezer is stocked for the month.