Weights and ??? Fractured foot bone! :(

Options
Hi all,
I've found myself the unhappy owner of a fractured sesamoid bone. I've done 8 weeks in a cast, 8 weeks in a boot - and it's still fractured. I'm now on a bone stimulator.

My question is this - I can lift weights at the gym (which I love). I need exercises to do that don't involve a lot of loading on the ball of my foot. And I need suggestions. My gym routine is pretty stale right now. I was told that basically for the next three months, I can work out - but nothing that involves heavy footwork.

Any input is much appreciated - I need to keep my weight loss momentum moving forward!

Thanks,
Kelly

Replies

• Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Damn...thats rough. I experienced the same thing but on the opposite end of my body. I dislocated my clavicle and could do zero upper body and limited lower body. As long as your doc is ok with it I would bench, seated shoulder press, row like a mad man.
  • redhotbeads
    redhotbeads Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Danny ... great ideas. I've got to change up my routine. I also want to add some yoga, but I have no idea what that entails!
  • midwestmixtape
    midwestmixtape Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just had ankle surgery in April - I was off my foot for about 4 months before I could walk without a brace, cane, crutches, or boot.

Here's my two cents-

You only get one body, treat it right, and listen to it.

Do as many sit-down weight lifting exercises as you can, and don't put weight on your foot unless you are sure it is okay. I had to "build up" to carrying dumbbells on my feet, personally. Your injury may vary, but even walking + 50lbs hurt. Hurting is no good, whenever your foot says "stop" - stop.

Wait at least 6 months from the point you think it is "good to go" before putting heavy weight down on it (trust me, daily walking + errand filled days WILL give it a good stressful work out regularly) and my doc said a year until you attempt squats or anything.

Basically: no running, no elliptical, stationary bike if you feel comfortable with light pedaling. Weights - no squats, no weight-bearing leg presses or deadlifts. Sit down and do shoulder press, bench press, do ab work (crunches) and basic leg exercises (machines, sitting)
  • midwestmixtape
    Options
    Just last month I started biking again, my favorite activity. Take it slow... life is long.... weight loss is 90% diet.... hope this helps!
  • redhotbeads
    Options
    Thanks, Rad. Having just been seriously b*tched out by my orthopedist today for doing too much - it is definitely time to listen. I guess it's going to be a long road ahead, but necessary to achieve healing in a bone that's already tough to heal. I have incorporated a lot of floor work (abs, legs) that don't involve weight on that foot, so maybe I'm on the right track after all.
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Try weighted pilates. There's a lot of floor work involved and you can modify standing exercises. I'm dealing with an impingement in my hip, so no running for me (just got released to use an eliptical!), and no lower body weight work - lunges, squats, all the fun stuff...

Pilates has been great. I feel good leaving the class and the instructor works with me and my injury. If there's something I can't do, I just do what my physical therapist has assigned.

Yoga tends to rely a lot on balancing, so it may not be the best solution unless you only do floor work.

And what the guy above said, listen to your body!
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You may also want to look into swimming and water aerobics if they're available to you. I had a severe ankle sprain this summer and was in the pool in water aerobics 6 days after injury. the only thing that bothered me was the jumping so I didn't jump as high and pushed off harder on my good foot.
  • redhotbeads
    Options
    Thank you, all! Great advice here. Especially listening to my body. Apparently I need to tune in a lot more closely than I have been. Also didn't think about pilates or water aerobics. It's great to have some options - I knew someone would have some ideas!!
  • midwestmixtape
    Options
    The foot and ankle are THEEEEE hardest to heal. You are on them SO much, they take all the weight, get little rest, and have to move and be placed in a million directions.

Listen to your doctor. NO working out and dieting is WAY better than working out and hurting the only foot you have on that leg. You don't get another foot on that leg!!!!