So what exactly is a BMI?

Options
ChancyW
ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
I was reading and came across this information. :-)

"Several studies examined the BMIs of MILLIONS of people and correlated them with rates of illness and death.

BMIs in the normal range are associated with the lowest rates of illness and death."

That's how they determined what a healthy BMI is, by the rate of disease and death. It's incredible to know that I can prevent disease, in a large part, just by maintaining a healthy weight. Knowledge is power!

-Chancy

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Personally I hate the BMI. I barely get into the healthy range at 185 lbs. For me that'd be like 2% body fat, so I'm fairly well resigned to being in the over weight range forever. :-P
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    BMI - A bullsh*t way to measure if your obese or not. It stands for body mass index. It does not take into account that you have more muscle on your body than a 74 year old woman of the same height and weight. Best to use a bodyfat test.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Ditto the two posts above. Body fat vs. lean is much better for determining individual health. BMI is just a height to weight ratio that is used for general populations, not accurate for individuals. I'm in an exercise physiology bachelors program with a minor in nutrition so I've had to learn about BMI but most of my professors joke about we learn it so we can correct doctors when they go by it. According to the statistics, its actually less risk of death and disease to be in the overweight category then to be in the underweight category for BMI. Probably has something to do with the fact that there are so many people who have healthy fat ranges and carry more muscle that puts them in the overweight category.
  • leslieheb
    leslieheb Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree that BMI should be considered on many factors not the weight and height ratio.. But ChancyW you are so right knowledge is power.. So many people don't have the knowledge they need to be healthy and try things that in the end could hurt them.. I also believe that with the recent health care bill it should show all of us that we need to start shedding those pounds and get out of the dark.. You can not only save yourself from major health problems and sickness but also save yourself a lot of money and time going to doctors that try to just fix the symptoms rather than find the problem. Loosing weight and staying fit is MUCH more involved then most people think. I battle with this everyday with my family. They believe eat less calories than you burn and boom you loose weight... But, most people don't realize how involved and work it is to eat right and exercise....
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    BMI chart is nothing but bull ****e propaganda from the government to put a lable on us, and give out new statistics on obesity

matter of fact, I think the BMI chart is about 100 years old, some one may know the answer

My primary physician laughed when I asked him abou tit, said its a joke, and to dismiss such crapola like that. Again, Im not one for saying much about charts, but thats a joke........how can you be normal one day, then gain one pound the next, and be labeled over weight..........its a joke

Had to vent on this one........take care, and good luck Lloyd
  • edorice
    Options
    Losing weight and staying fit is MUCH more involved then most people think. I battle with this everyday with my family. They believe eat less calories than you burn and boom you loose weight... But, most people don't realize how involved and work it is to eat right and exercise....

You got that right. It almost has to become a hobby to lose weight. I worked out this morning and just left the gym on my lunch hour. If you don't eat enough your weight loss stalls. The scale can say I gained three pounds from a 6 ounce steak. It's ridiculous.
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    How do you go about measuring body fat (cheaply)?
  • edorice
    Options
    You can get a skin caliper. You could probably find one at www.bodybuilding.com or www.teamwalkerfitness.com