How do I avoid being left with saggy skin?

Options
So, I'm only 5lb into losing weight. Aiming to lose a total of about 70lb, so early days, but I'm already getting paranoid about being left with horrible sagging skin - especially on my abdomen. Having had 2 children, I already have a bit of a saggy, stretch-marked tummy.

So, I get there's genetics involved and all that, but what can I do to cut the risk?

Lose the weight slowly, but how slowly is slowly?

Do some sort of creams help (as in, rubbed into the skin) or is that just old wives tales?

Exercise as well as control food? How much of what sort of exercise? I'm swimming and running - from 1-2 times per week each. In january I'm going to do a 6 week course of an hour of circuits followed by an hour of 'core strength' which seems to be about abdominal and back strength / back pain type stuff. Will this sort of exercise help? Or do I need to be doing sit ups? Okay, I don't really believe sit ups will make any difference to the skin on my abdomen, but thought I'd better ask...

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Strength training and moisturizing regularly can help to mitigate saggy skin, but do not expect a miracle. As you said, it depends on genetics and individual skin elasticity. And also age.

No, situps wont help.
  • drshona
    drshona Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well, good news on the sit up front at least!

Age...? What sort of age...?
  • drshona
    drshona Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    And whilst I'm at it, what does "strength training" actually mean?
  • wheird
    Options
    Well, good news on the sit up front at least!

Age...? What sort of age...?

Not touching that. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've done some sort of strength training the whole time, and I have a lot of loose, saggy skin. You should probably mentally prepare yourself for it.
  • wheird
    Options
    And whilst I'm at it, what does "strength training" actually mean?

Weight lifting is the most efficient way. But there is also calisthenics (bodyweight work), pilates, certain yoga disciplines, etc. Which ever one you enjoy doing is the best for you.
  • blondy33
    Options
    Some people will ALWAYS have that saggy tummy from kids no matter what you do. The skinnier I get the worse it looks-and well even looked bad when i was fat too! Put it this way no one has seen my belly button since 1988! Either embrace it because of the wonderful kids you have-or get a tummy tuck! sorry! I am still so jealous of those women who only have a few stretch marks-I'll trade you!!
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Really depends, if the skin starts to shrink back up while you're losing weight you've got a good chance that the sagging will be less pronounced, but if you're finding that as you lose weight the skin is just feeling looser and sagging more then the only way to fix it is a tummy tuck when you've reached and maintained your goal weight. My arms seem to shrink back up, but my thighs and belly don't fare too well.

I had one done years ago after I lost a lot of weight, (around110pd) and I'd also had an 11pd baby so my stomach skin was a mess. They took 2kg of skin away and I lost 2 dress sizes overnight, so sometimes it can be quite a lot to deal with as you're losing weight and not seeing the body you're working hard for reflected back at you. But just keep on working through it, and try to incorporate as much weights/strength training as possible and build your muscles as it will all be of benefit in the long run.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    no one knows
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 68 lbs, most of it since mid Feb. and don't really have sagging skin so far...not saying I wouldn't if I keep losing. However, for now I'm content to be in this ballpark and just concentrate on increasing muscle/decreasing body fat. I lost slowly and am lifting weights.
  • ravengal
    Options
    I've had a twin pregnancy and two babies that were 11+ pounds. No hope for me other than a tummy tuck to rid myself of excess skin. However, I will say exercise from the outset has made such a difference in the shape and appearance of my body. The saggy skin is just a bonus of successful weight loss, IMHO.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Meh you're only 39! You'll be fine! Weight training, drink your water, don't try to lose more than 1-2 lbs/week, and please dont try to go super low cals or low fat- healthy fats and lean protein are your friends! I've lost close to that much since the end of my 2nd pregnancy. I even had a c-section and my tummy seriously looks great now. You can do it!