Heart Rate Monitor - Quick Questions

Options
I'm thinking about asking for a HRM for Christmas. Any advice which one? Also, do you find that a HRM reports more or less calories burned than you previously thought going off the calorie burns on the gym machines? Thank you!

Replies

• sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Polar is a great brand. I bought my FT4 for a reasonable price and love it. The numbers for straight running were pretty close. I found that I burned fewer calories during other types of cardio than I thought, sad but true.
  • JDavid007
    JDavid007 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and I feel it’s the best thing I could have ever bought. Mine does not automatically convert my calories burned which I regret. Polar is a very good brand. I am not sure of the models right now but I am looking to upgrade mine soon. I recommend you get one that will calculate your calories burned based on your current weight, age and gender which most let you enter that. I feel it is way more accurate than the machines. My burns are higher than the machines. This is because most machines don’t track your HRM. They do an ok job if you enter your bio metrics but still is mostly and average…If I am pushing a 160 BPM which I can check on my HRM I burn about 551 calories for 30 minutes on the elliptical. With a HR of 130 I only burn 415 for 30 minutes. BTW it’s still a good burn…

In the end I think it’s a great investment. I tend to compare the HRM burn with the machines. Some machines are very close…once you have been doing this with a HRM for a while you start to just know what kind of burn your going to have no matter what machine you’re on.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Great idea for a prezzie!

I use a Polar H7 with iphone 5 and Endomondo for exercise workouts. Works perfectly and syncs with MFP automatically.
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the Zypher (available in both Android and Apple OS) - it is blue tooth to your phone and works on multiple FREE apps. I use it everyday. You can get it on Amazon for around $80 bucks. PM me if you have questions.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've got a Polar but I'm not quite sure whether to trust the burned calories for each kind of exercise I make...
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4 (the pink one). I thought I was burning WAY more calories than I was. If you use the Polar Training website as well--the website almost doubled my calories burned just by entering my height/weight/age/heartrate info. I thought that was interesting how the website and the watch didn't agree. I used the watch because it was lower and actually tracked all my heartrate movement.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4 (pink!). I freakin' love it. Aside from my kitchen scale, it was worth every single penny.
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and I feel it’s the best thing I could have ever bought. Mine does not automatically convert my calories burned which I regret. Polar is a very good brand. I am not sure of the models right now but I am looking to upgrade mine soon. I recommend you get one that will calculate your calories burned based on your current weight, age and gender which most let you enter that. I feel it is way more accurate than the machines. My burns are higher than the machines. This is because most machines don’t track your HRM. They do an ok job if you enter your bio metrics but still is mostly and average…If I am pushing a 160 BPM which I can check on my HRM I burn about 551 calories for 30 minutes on the elliptical. With a HR of 130 I only burn 415 for 30 minutes. BTW it’s still a good burn…

In the end I think it’s a great investment. I tend to compare the HRM burn with the machines. Some machines are very close…once you have been doing this with a HRM for a while you start to just know what kind of burn your going to have no matter what machine you’re on.

I am intrigued!!! I will have to check this out.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I run outdoors or do workout DVDs, so I cannot compare the burn from gym equipment. I have the Polar FT4 and love it. I do need a new strap (2 + years old) as the readings aren't always accurate.

I find my calorie burn is usually less than what MFP suggests - but sometimes it's more. It varies by WO.

I will say I had to adjust my HRM default settings to accurately reflect my High/Low intensity - I have a naturally higher rest HR apparently.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    Great idea for a prezzie!

I use a Polar H7 with iphone 5 and Endomondo for exercise workouts. Works perfectly and syncs with MFP automatically.

The F7 lest you run a test also called "Own index" by polar the estimate your oxygen uptake which is a factor on how many calories you burn. Inputting it with the others like gender, age, etc. gets you a more personal estimate of calorie burn. Depending on your personal fitness your calories may very from a good machine that is only using a few factors. Adds a few dollars to cost but worth it IMO.

BTW if you start out unfit seeing you VO2 change over time is another sweet NSV
  • bflytilidy
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, I definitely have a few to check out now on Amazon! It would be really nice to get a more accurate picture of how many calories I'm actually burning.
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm another Polar FT4 user and I wouldn't be without it. The calories burned seems to be pretty accurate (ie, I'm eating them back and still losing weight!) so long as you remember to adjust your weight setting on it as you lose.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about asking for a HRM for Christmas. Any advice which one? Also, do you find that a HRM reports more or less calories burned than you previously thought going off the calorie burns on the gym machines? Thank you!

I used it for like a month now it's just a watch....
  • TeamDale1
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. It syncs will with my spinning bike and elliptical. I always work out with it.
  • tamivroma
    Options
    I am another FT4 user. One reason I like it is that I can replace the battery myself. Hate the ones where you have to send it in for a new battery!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    It is all a estimate but that being said the HRM can usually be trusted for a more accurate calorie burn number...... I have used a Polar FT60 for the past 3 years and love it for steady state cardio.... I don't have anything to compare it to because it is the only brand I have used... My wife has an FT7 and loves hers as well..... Best of Luck
  • SnackHips
    SnackHips Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a watch...I think it is Polar? Mine is the kind you have to put your fingers on to get pulse and honestly it can be a pain in the butt. I try to do it pretty often to get the most accurate calorie count and sometimes that is not convenient. I bought the chest strap with watch combo for my husband because his fingers would get sweaty and not register his pulse well. He loves it. I notice that if I my heart rate is rapidly going up or down (warm-up, cool-down) it takes even longer to get a pulse and I am stuck awkwardly holding my watch while trying to jog or whatever else I am up to. Recommend strap! Other than that....I burn more calories than the machine suggests because I am not as fit as it assumes I am. HRM is the way to go.
  • SnackHips
    SnackHips Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    sorry about typos....this keyboard is the worst.