Fivefinger Vibram shoes

Options
Hey there! I'm looking into getting a pair of these shoes for my workouts. I will not be running in them but doing more cross fit type workouts at the gym I go to. Any opinions on these shoes?

I tried a pair on yesterday and once you get use to the feel of them, I think they would be pretty good.

Thank you for your replies!!

Replies

• Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I don't have that brand, but I have a turqouise/black/white pair of Skeletoes ;)

Love them!!!
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Going to Google Skeletoes now!
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I have been running in them for a few years now and they seem to last forever. I still wear my first pair on treadmills. They have over 3100 miles on them.

I purchased a second pair for running outside.

If you do decide to run in them, make sure you ease your body into running in them. Take it slow.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I wear mine for lifting. I wasn't successful running in them.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I am on my 3rd pair. I love them and wear them all the time. Honestly, I don't think there is anything more comfortable that goes on your feet. That being said, I don't usually wear them for working out. I have a few times, but they aren't that good for that (for me) so I just stick to wearing them casually (outdoor events, picnics, water parks, etc.)

I haven't tried the "knockoffs" so I can't comment on those.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I use a different brand of the bare foot running shoes for all my lifting. Will never go back to the traditional "gym" shoe. My only problem with the 5fingers are, well, the 5 fingers. don't like anyting in between my toes. personal preferance only.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I only lift in Vibrams..... My preference is on their Komodosport LS model which they recommend for cross fit type exercises.... I have all models and each serve a purpose but the Komodosport LS is my goto for lifting..... Best of Luck
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I do alot of different sports in FF and wear them in summer instead of normal shoes...

I have the model Speed (with laces) for the gym. Use them on the tread mill, arc trainer, strength machines, dumbbells, stretching etc.

In summer I ride my bike with them.

I have a model Sprint for water sports.

I ran in the Speeds outside on mostly unpaved paths. Then I switched to KC Speeds (water proof, more tread) because of the weather. I started running in May and directly in FFs. I can run an hour and more without any problems with my feet. The only time I had problems....the one time I wore running shoes ;-) So I quickly put my FFs back on.

They may not be for everyone, but I LOVE them.

As far as running / walking goes - It is important, that you don't use a heel to toe gait. You need to land on your middle foot / ball and roll to your toes. Your heel will sink down a bit after landing, but will never hit the ground forcefully. Running this way will work as a shock absorber for the rest of your body (back, knees, etc.). Also you need to start slow. We are not used to totally flat shoes, so our calf muscles have shortened. In general, I feel more comfortable in my FFs with thin toe socks. My sister doesn't need them. I probably sweat more from my feet.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting and running in them for several years and am on my fourth or fifth pair. They're great but be prepared for the comments as they definitely will win no fashion awards
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you go Skeletoes, then up to Vibrams you'll never go back. IE: I have been wearing Vibrams 24/7 for over 3 years now - own 8 pairs. Bought 1 pair of Skeletoes and after trying to wear them on & off for a month, gave them away. Yuck...

I <3 my Vibrams but I have Morton's in both feet and these are the only shoes I can wear without causing horrible pain in both feet (wore a pair of slippers for Halloween, was limping by the end of the day - as soon as I took them off, pain STOPPED! Argh!) I run, LIFT, walk, do yard work, treadmill/elliptical and have fallen asleep in them before.

And I tried to run in "running shoes" Alchemy 10's - bloody 120$ for them and after the pain set in on the 2nd run and I tripped (flying off the back of the treadmill) they live in my trunk.

I have Classics (4 pairs - 1 finally toward end of life), Bikilas LS (3 pairs) and a KMD Sport LS (1 pair). Classics are no longer made, but they are more of a slipper type (quick on/off). I can't wear them to the gym unless only lifting - they come off. The Bikilas & KMD's fit higher on the foot w/ laces and thicker insoles.

Worse part I have is I have WIDE feet and have to wear MEN's.... and even then only the LS styles (and not even all of them will work either).

Word of warning - pay attention to the break-in instructions. You can hurt yourself if you don't re-adjust to walking "barefoot".
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Mine are like 2 years old and I love them. If they "feel" funny to you may I suggest going to a store with a lot of styles of them and trying lots? That's what I did and I chose the most comfy pair to my feet. They are all a little different and a pair more to your liking might make a big difference.
  • johe28
    johe28 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I lift and run in my Vibrams. I think they are great. Depending on some of the exercises and type of shoe they could slip off. My trainer won't wear a certain kind when she is pushing because they slip off. Mine have never and I squat, jump rope, bench, box, etc in them. I am still building up to longer runs.
  • Jenism1
    Options
    Wow!! Thank you everyone for all the great comments! Looks like I will be putting an order in today! The Vibram website is having a sale...just to let you know!

Thanks again!! I really appreciate all the feedback!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Fila Skelletoes are NOT an atheletic shoe- they never were marketed to be as such- more like a comfie around town type shoe.

Vibrams ARE an atheletic shoe.

They are great for cross fit type stuff- which is why- tons of cross fitters use them for that.

They have good sales across the internet where you can find them for 40-50$ keep your eyes peeled- but they are a great shoe. I have my 2nd pair- I love them.
  • Jenism1
    Options
    Well, there you go. Thanks to everyone's input, I am a proud owner of the FiveFingers Bikila LS - in Black and Grey. $50.00 plus 9.95 s&h. Thanks again!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well, there you go. Thanks to everyone's input, I am a proud owner of the FiveFingers Bikila LS - in Black and Grey. $50.00 plus 9.95 s&h. Thanks again!

I hope you tried some on before you ordered to make sure you got the right size.

Also, you can find them cheaper at 6pm.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    50 bucks is still a great deal- both mine were 85$
  • Jenism1
    Options
    Thanks Hornsby...I did try some on yesterday. Hopefully they will be fine!