Balancing Running with Stronglifting

Options
Any Runners out there who also are doing the Stronglift 5x5 program? I'm not talking about running as an form of cardio, but more to people who actually hit the pavement deliberately to put on some mileage (let's say 10Kers and up).

Any advice you can give for balancing the two? Do they conflict with each other somehow (speaking more to the physical affects)?
How many days do you run/ lift?
What schedule have you found works best for arranging the 2 events throughout the week so you are at your best for each?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Programs like Stronglifts generally place a strong emphasis on actually resting on your rest days. Doing that kind of running more or less prevents the kind of rest you would need when doing heavy squatting 3x/week.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I know Rippetoe had mentioned doing a Prowler day on Saturdays (assuming you're lifting monday/wed/friday). You could probably throw in a longish run on that day. Not sure about running on other days. I'd personally do it right after lifting and then you'll still have 48 hours of rest.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you are doing the one I sent you I'd move the deadlift and squat day next to each other, have a rest day, run, bench day, run, have a rest day.
  • 1_JR_1
    1_JR_1 Posts: 179
    Options
    I've always understood that one sport has to take priority when it comes to being the freshest at the start. I'd like to know how/ if others had to adjust to pull it off. Thanks again for the responses.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I do something along that lines. I run, strength train, and do a little body building at the same time.

I ran somewhere around 175 miles last month. I usually run 7 days a week and never take a day off from running as the motions help alleviate pain and joint stiffness from Rheumatoid disease I deal with. I only hit the gym 3 times a week M/W/F. That gives some type of break to stomp off some long runs on the weekend.

Advice is to hit your weights first if possible. I want to get the most our of my squats and running does take away some of my gains but not entirely.

My current working weight for squats is around 160% of my body weight(345lbs) so not great, but not shabby either.

Main thing is rest & nutrition. Obviously most people don't want to run on a stomach full of protein. So I usually eat some right after my weights then give it at least 2 hours before I hit the streets/trails.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yeah they conflict. I've done both. I race at the half marathon distance and under... mostly OCRs, but will be going for a 24km trail race in May. I've tried various schedules:

Lift, Run, Lift, Run, Lift, Run, Rest
    Lift, Rest, Run, Lift, Rest, Run, repeat
    Run, lift, rest, lift, run, lift, rest

The first one was my fave for running but my lifting suffered and I had to keep in mind that I might not progress as quickly without the rest.

The last one is my fave for strength training off season for max rest (I did this schedule with a hypertrophy lifting routine, though) but also caused myself an injury.

The Lift, Rest, Run repeat schedule didn't feel like enough workout days but my recomp was decent during that time.

I think you just have to play with it and be super good at listening to your body. I'm doing some single compound upper body lifting with kickboxing workouts to cross train these days as I recover from a hamstring injury/iliopsoas tendinitis that I got from lifting too heavy with muscle imbalances :frown:

If you figure out an AWESOME way to go about it, let me know :flowerforyou:
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Well I dont run but I do speed skate which is a high cardio type of sport like running. I do SL on Tues, Thur & Sat and I practice Mon, Wed, and Sunday. Fri is my off day. Seems to be working ok for me. I would not recommend this for a beginner though. For someone that has had a background in athletics or training for some time that has a decent base then I would go for it. Just to state though that most strength training programs call for the days that you do not lift to rest for max results.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I've been doing both for about a month now. Basic schedule as follows:

Rest day
    Long Run day (I'm at a 6 mile run now but want to work that up)
    Lift Day
    Short run day (5k with 10 minutes of wind sprints through the middle)
    Lift Day
    Short run day (same)
    Lift Day

Rinse repeat.

So far seems to be working well for me. I'm just doing both because I enjoy doing both. My strength gains are probably a lot slower than they could be, but my run time, sprint speed and overall endurance during my runs is improving amazingly. I did find out that my long run HAS to be after my rest day though, trying to do that after a lift day caused an epic fail on my part...
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Not a 10Ker, but I combine running, swimming, cycling and lifting (SL5x5).

I don't have a problem apart from time. I've had a day off today which is my first in a week. This is just because my body feels tired.

Listen to yours, and you'll be fine.
  • 1_JR_1
    1_JR_1 Posts: 179
    Options
    Well I dont run but I do speed skate which is a high cardio type of sport like running. I do SL on Tues, Thur & Sat and I practice Mon, Wed, and Sunday. Fri is my off day. Seems to be working ok for me. I would not recommend this for a beginner though. For someone that has had a background in athletics or training for some time that has a decent base then I would go for it. Just to state though that most strength training programs call for the days that you do not lift to rest for max results.

I'd definitely count speed skating right up there with running. I didn't mean to leave out other sports. Running is the one I'm into. Thanks for the great input!
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do 5x5 on MWF
    Tuesday I rest
    Th, Sat; 5 mile run
    Sun long run 7-12 miles (perpetually training for an upcoming half marathon until Spring)

The only truly negative effect I have noticed is that I have had to cut runs short sometimes or felt fatigued during them due to DOMS in my hamstrings and/or quads.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You just have to make sure you eat enough calories to sustain your activity level ... I don't really ever go over 10 miles at a clip .... anything over an hour + and I start to get bored ... Plus I like to run fast and I like to keep my pace between 6:30 and 7:30 per mile, so I rarely go over 6 or 7 miles per run ...

ETA: And STRETCH AFTER YOUR RUNS AND LIFTING ... This will help to prevent injury, lifting will actually improve your running ...
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    This is only worth $0.02 because I don't have the experience, but yeah I figure you might have to sacrifice *some* of one for the other.

The interesting thing about StrongLifts though is that it has you squatting everyday for 3x a week right, which is a bit more than most programs. You'll be fine squatting twice a week if you need to work in some cardio.

Why don't you take squatting out of the picture for just one workout a week? Substitute something else you want... have fun do some curls lol That might help you schedule your running in a little better, and give you a little relief so you can hit your running goals. Plenty of guys even squat just once a week, but twice is a bit more ideal if you can work it in. 3x a week is a great part of Stronglifts, but it's not absolutely necessary.
  • ZTazlor
    ZTazlor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great post OP and good responses. Thanks guys.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Any Runners out there who also are doing the Stronglift 5x5 program? I'm not talking about running as an form of cardio, but more to people who actually hit the pavement deliberately to put on some mileage (let's say 10Kers and up).

Any advice you can give for balancing the two? Do they conflict with each other somehow (speaking more to the physical affects)?
    How many days do you run/ lift?
    What schedule have you found works best for arranging the 2 events throughout the week so you are at your best for each?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I've modified the strong lift program for myself so I don't follow it exactly. I do everything only I don't go heavy duty on the bench press. I do a combination of both weight lifting and running because I love to run plus I'm currently training for a half marathon. I've been doing this for quite awhile and have trouble with taking full rest days. I currently run three to four days a week and then weight lift the other three to four days. It depends on how I feel.

On my running days, I'll do 3.25 mile Monday, 4.25 Wednesday, and then 6.25 on Friday. I always follow my runs with the leg press and either the leg extension or leg curl. I'll do five sets of fifteen reps @ 140lbs on the leg press and five sets of fifteen reps @ 100lbs on the leg extension/curl. On Monday and Wednesday, I end my workout with 30 minutes on the stairmaster.
    I'll do a longer run usually 8-11 miles on either Saturday or Sunday.

Tuesday's and Thursday's are my hardcore, set in stone weight lifting days. Depending on which day I do my long run is when I do another weight lifting day. This works pretty good for me as long as I fuel properly after the workouts. I didn't use to do this before and now that I do I notice a major difference. I always stretch afterwards, drink lots of water, and always follow up with protein after my workouts. My body is pretty used to this and so I have to mix things up a lot. Next month I'll increase my running pace again and increase my weights.

I suggest alternating your training days and see if that works for you and also listen to your body. A long run might not feel so good after a heavy squat day:wink:
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I run and do Strong Lifts. I play recreational sports on the weekends, so finding a balance has been tough.

Ran my first half over the weekend. Now that's over with and my weekend sports (flag football and softball) are nearly done, I'm going to go back to a 3x per week for each.

M-W-F: running

T-TH-Sat: Lifting

Sunday: full rest

My average runs are 5-6 miles. I had to play with Strong Lifts when training for the half by backing off the dead-lifts and squats quite a bit. I've got form problems with the squats, so that's its own story...

I'm thinking to make sure easy runs come the days after deadlifts-squat combos. Do my hardest run on Mondays, since I've had a day of rest.

Overall, my main sacrifice has been to progress slower in Strong Lifts. I'm still adding weight, just very slowly.
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. Just finished the Philly marathon and want to build a good strength program while maintaining a core run program. I also run OCR's. A great topic of interest for me so I'm bookmarking this for updates.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing strong lifting, but I'm getting serious into weight training (NROWL), and training for a half and Ragnar in February.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a modified 5x5 program that's an ABC program instead of the AB of SL. I'm doing lifting MWF with squats on M and F, and running 10k on Saturday. I was doing two runs a week, but recovery was becoming an issue and my progress on squats and dead lifts was poor. It is a balance, and you won't progress as quickly as if you were only concentrating on one activity.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I do both, and I might be the person you have in mind because I think of myself as more of a runner than a lifter.
    I tried doing 5x5 three and even four times a week, and could not. It really impacted my running because my legs were tired on the days I ran. Plus, to run well, I think, you have to run four times a week, at least.
    So, I have cut back on the lifting. I now lift only twice a week. I do squats on one of those days and deadlifts on the other. (My heavy lifts, I mean. i also bench, push press, row, pull-ups, etc.)
    Will I make lifting progress? Probably not much. But I like it. I am getting the cross-training benefit. And, i can improve on my running.
    My situation might be different from yours, though. I am older (54 years) and so it takes me a bit more time to recover than someone younger, and I also play competitive tennis multiple times a week. If you don't do something like my tennis, you might not feel as depleted after lifting as I do.
    Anyway, I think you almost have to decide that you are going to do one seriously,with the aim of improving, and the other as an auxiliary to the first.