Does exercise actually make you happy?

Options
Mangoaddict
Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
I was working out today and I felt so happy in the middle of it. Its like this inner exctasy that cannot be described in words. I usually hate going to the gym but once I am there, I end up feeling really happy. The right music, the right kind of sweet pain, the right atmosphere and its like a wonderful feeling! Is there any chemical reaction that causes this to happen?

Does anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I was working out today and I felt so happy in the middle of it. Its like this inner exctasy that cannot be described in words. I usually hate going to the gym but once I am there, I end up feeling really happy. The right music, the right kind of sweet pain, the right atmosphere and its like a wonderful feeling! Is there any chemical reaction that causes this to happen?

Does anyone else feel this way?
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    its called endorphins i think?!

all i know is that i , for the first time in my life, know what you are talking about.

i never ever thought that i would actually enjoy exercise, but i too have experienced this same feeling of well-being while exercising, which, when you get to that point, that exercise brings pleasant effects instead of just the "ow this hurts im tired" effect we all associate with working out.

Its addictive, but just like learning to eat healthier, we also have to train our bodies to be more active, which, just like restricting calories, can be uncomfortable at times. But the reward is... SO worth it.

Push past it, cuz Slow and steady wins the race!
  • janameyer
    janameyer Posts: 14
    Options
    I always dread going too-but usually enjoy it once I'm there. I always seem to be in a better mood when I leave so maybe there is something to that. Keep up the exercising.
  • zen68
    zen68 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love the exercise high...it took me a while to get there as I am older now but LOVE it....
  • mlck2323
    mlck2323 Posts: 87
    Options
    I write for my university's newspaper...thought you guys might enjoy this article:

M.L.
    Editorial Columnist

What if I told you that I was using a miracle drug that can remedy obesity, depression, drug addiction, smoker’s lung, sleep troubles and many other impediments affecting your daily life? What if I told you that this drug can get you high, make you happy, improve your academic and social life and make your body run like a machine? And what if I told you that this drug was free and legal? Would you do it?

My name is Madeline and I am mild-to-moderately addicted to running. I come from a family of non-runners. Athletes, yes, but none of us have the lean, bony, fatless body that typical runners have.

My siblings and I stuck to contact sports in high school, and all four of us began running in college to stay in shape. All three siblings have completed at least one marathon, including my brother who qualified for and ran the Boston Marathon.

I began running half-marathons my freshman year of college, and four or five later, I am ready to train for my first full.

I quickly found out that running is neither easy nor boring, as I had once perceived it to be in high school, yet it has the potential to be the most energizing, spiritual, relaxing or challenging part of my day. My self-esteem and confidence sky-rocket during marathon training.My life changed drastically when I committed myself to the sport, and I have an intense desire to share this passion with others.

To those of you who feel unworthy of this miracle drug, I address you specifically.

For the over-stressed and over-worked: Studies have shown that distance running does wonders on the brain. Anxieties become mere annoyances on a run and are put out of the mind. Running provides the perfect mental environment to work out problems. It is one of the most efficient workouts for the schedule-oriented, giving you solid exercise in the least amount of time. Making time for this daily run will force you to improve time-management skills, therefore time is utilized more effectively.

For the smokers: It has been proven that even smokers can recover full lung potential through running. What an awesome gift. There is about 50 percent unused lung potential that can be utilized when running.

For the drug-users: There’s a well-known phenomena in the runner world called the “runner’s high.” The runner’s high occurs when the natural chemical Anandamide crosses the blood-brain barrier, creating feelings commonly associated with those of Tetrahydrocannabinol—feelings of euphoria, relaxation and cessation of pain. Last week I spoke with a professional who described the runner’s high as similar to the endorphin high of heroin.

Finally, for the scared: If you have a desire to begin running, that is the first step. The hardest part is getting out the door. Throw on some athletic clothes and shoes and run up and down campus a few times if that is what fatigues you at first. Read up on tips for beginning runners online, head to the gym and try it out on a treadmill or enlist a friend to try it with you. The main thing is to get started and later you can define your goals more clearly.

I could write endlessly on the benefits of running, but my main reason for writing this week is to plug the Flying Pig Marathon, Marathon Relay, Half-Marathon and 10k races, which will take place the weekend of May 4. Cincinnati’s Flying Pig marathon was recently listed among the top 10 most fun marathons. I highly recommend researching this amazing event online and considering participation. Three months should be allotted to train for the half-marathon, and 12 weeks until race day is Sunday, Feb. 10.

I recommend Hal Higdon’s Novice training schedule which you can print out for free online from www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/nonce.htm
    So drug-addicts, smokers, fatties, skinnies, downers and normal people unite! Try out my drug to solve nearly any problem. Come on, everybody’s doing it!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I always feel better once I exercise. I didn't get to go run tonight due to rain (which we really needed), but I can tell my body missed it b/c I am EXHAUSTED when I am usually revved up about now from my walk/run or bike ride.
  • food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. The hardest part for me is getting out the door, but once I'm there and working out..I always feel so glad that I am! My favorite part is the hot shower afterwards!
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    Yes. Exercise makes me really happy. My family will tell you that when I don't exercise, I'm really grumpy. So, for me, it is daily commitment for the head part of the effect -- even more than the physical positives I get . . .
  • myfitz4life
    myfitz4life Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I guess you could say that on days I don't exercise, I actually feel depressed. :cry:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I guess you could say that on days I don't exercise, I actually feel depressed. :cry:

Wow, me too!!!! I feel as if I am missing something...I feel so much better when I workout especially in the morning. I feel so powerful, so good about myself...this might sound crazy but sometimes after a good workout I hug myself and give myself a pat on the back for a job well done...:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    I completely agree that exercise can make someone happy..and when you skip it tend to feel morte depressed.. It is one of those things you have to push yourself to do..but then feel amazing afterwards. It's the initial push part that is hard!!
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    it makes me really happy and helps out with my stress. i've been exercising and enjoying it and can't wait to exercise. and also, i enjoy sweating and then taking a nice long cold shower afterwards.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Absolutely,

It reduces stress.
    It's fun (I know you don't believe that yet, but wait)
    It makes the fat go away.

I am a really social person, so I always try to find people to go and do something with them.

It's harder to turn off the alarm and roll over if someone is counting on you.
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Exercise makes me feel good...being healthy makes me :happy: !!!

I challenge every person who reads this post to... convert a couch potato you know today!!

Spread the :happy: and the :heart: of being healthy!!!!

~Namaste :flowerforyou:

~Mi
  • Mindi8818
    Mindi8818 Posts: 1
    Options
    Does it ever! I am a jazzercise–a-holic and I tell you I would not be a nice person without it! :0)
    Being active is the only way!

Stay active stay happy!
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I am especially happy doing a class I love. I couldn't fit step classes into my daily routing for at least a year (between a bad back and my work schedule). When I finally got a chance to take one again, I remember thinking I must look like a weirdo in class because I had a big ol' grin on my face the whole time. (Until after about the first 20 minutes, then it MAY have become a grimace instead - I was pretty out of shape...)