Weight loss very stalled

Options
This is my very first post so bare with me. I have been at the same weight and measurements for the past 3 months. I have been trying my hardest to stay motivated thinking somethings got to give soon. I hopeless to think this month is going to be any different. I have lost 30 pounds since January. I have increased my exercise and intensity in the last 3 months to 5-6 days working out for atleast an hour and burning 600-800 calories a day. I was eating around 1400 calories 2 months ago, but that was not doing anything so I increased to 1600-1800 calories after seeing my doctor. I even quit smoking 1 1/2 months ago.
I was hoping to blame the weight plateau on my body somehow, but all blood work comes out fine. I'm at a loss. I know each day is not perfect, but I'm starting to really lose my motivation. Any suggestions? Has anyone else gone through the same thing and finally made it past the plateau?

Replies

• Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing the type of exercise? I had to change it up, add different things and add more calories, which you have already done, to break my plateau. Another thing is to change up your foods and add some different variety to your diet. Hope you get some answers and results.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Try changing up your workouts. Google Tabata training or HIIT training, Circuit training. Also You biggest down fall is probably your eating. To loose and keep the body fat of you really have to be clean with your eating. Check out my diary. It is not perfect but it should give you a good idea how to change it up. Also I posted this a week or so ago Meal Plan

I adapted this from Jackie Warners meal plan that came with one of her DVDS

Each Main Meal equals about 400 calories; snacks equal around 100 to 150 calories, and the menus contain daily allotment of 4 proteins, 3 veggies, 2 fruits, 2 grains and 1 healthy fat.

Day 1
    Breakfast
    2 low-fat whole wheat tortillas; each filled with 1 scrambled egg and 1 tbsp salsa

Mid-Morning Snack
    1cup low-fat cottage cheese with 1 piece pf fresh fruit

Lunch
    2 cups Mixed greens or spinach salad with raw veggies, with 3oz chicken breast; 2 tbsp of light salad dressing; 1 slice of whole grain bread ( like Ezekiel 4:9 bread)

Mid- Afternoon Snack
    1 banana med to large

Dinner
    4 oz of pork tenderloin or lean loin chop with 1 cup of steamed veggies and 1 baked yam or med Red Skin potato ( 4-5oz)

Post Dinner
    1 decaf green tea mixed with one favorite herbal tea

Drinking 8oz of water with each meal and snack
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Day 2
    Breakfast
    Protein meal Replacement shake( 8 to 10 oz of water, 1 scoop ISO sensation protein, 1 handful fresh or frozen spinach, 1 cup frozen mixed berries or 1 cup frozen blueberries with out added sugar, 2 tbsp ground flax seed

Mid-Morning Snack
    1 cup cooked oat bran or oatmeal, with 2 tbsp walnuts or sunflower seeds sprinkled with cinnamon

Lunch
    2 cans (6oz.) tuna fish mixed with 1 tablespoon Low fat Mayo or Kraft Mayo with olive oil, mustard optional, on a generous bed of greens, 1 slice whole grain bread(Like Ezekiel 4:9 bread)

Mid-Afternoon Snack
    2 hard boiled eggs

Dinner
    4 oz of grilled chicken
    1 cup of asparagus or mixed veggies
    1 cup chopped fresh pineapple

Post Dinner

Day 3
    Breakfast
    Protein meal Replacement shake( 8 to 10 oz of water, 1 scoop ISO sensation protein, 1 handful fresh or frozen spinach, 1 cup frozen mixed berries or 1 cup frozen blueberries with out added sugar, 2 tbsp ground flax seed

Mid-Morning Snack
    20 raw almonds

Lunch
    Dark, green leafy salad with salad veggies(green peppers, cucumbers, onions, ect.) with 1 tbsp low-fat/light salad dressing and 4 oz of grilled chicken breast,1 slice whole grain bread (Like Ezekiel 4:9 bread)

Mid- Afternoon Snack
    1 med. Apple 1 low-fat mozzarella stick

Dinner
    4oz of grilled sirloin steak
    1 cup steamed broccoli
    1 sweet potato, or med Red Skin potato(4-5 oz)

Post Dinner

___________________________________________________________________________________
    Day 4
    Breakfast
    2 eggs
    1 slice whole grain bread(like Ezekiel 4:9)
    Choice of: 1 orange, ½ grapefruit, 1 cup chopped mango, or 2 kiwi fruits

Mid-Morning Snack
    1 cup low-fat cottage cheese

Lunch
    Pita sandwich: whole grain pita pocket, 2oz low-fat feta cheese, 1 cup alfalfa sprouts, 1 small tomato(sliced) 1 tbsp evoo & vinegar dressing.

Mid-Afternoon Snack
    1 Large Apple or other fruit in season

Dinner
    4oz broiled or grilled sirloin steak
    1 med sweet potato or med red skin potato
    1 cup steamed veggies ( carrots, wax beans, green beans ect.)

Post Dinner

Day 5
    Breakfast
    1 slice whole grain bread toasted(like Ezekiel 4:9)
    1tbsp natural peanut butter
    ½ grape fruit

Mid-Morning Snack
    Whey Protein Shake ( ISO Sensation) or

Lunch
    Shrimp Salad: large bed of green leafy veggies and sliced tomato, topped with 4 oz of boiled shrimp and 1 tbsp dressing made with EVOO and balsamic vinegar
    1 med red skin baked potato

Mid- Afternoon Snack
    1 large Peach or other Fresh in season fruit

Dinner
    4 oz of roasted Cornish game hen (skin removed)
    1 cup winter/butternut squash

Post Dinner

Calculate and Write everything down to check and total calories…weight and measure everything out!!!!!! KEEP A FOOD LOG…You can use myfitnesspal.com
    Do Not eat anything with “High Fructose Corn Syrup”
    “Bleached or enriched flour” BAD
    “Simple Sugars”& Artificial Sweeteners
    Read YOUR LABLES “Partially hydrogenated
    “Watch the salt”
    These additives could make you feel hungry!!! and allow you to overeat!!! and cause long term health problems!!!!!!!!!!!
    DRINK WATER!!!! VERY IMPORTANT-- GREEN TEA, WHITE TEA IS OK NON SWEETENED
    NO POP!!!! REGULAR OR DIET( they will cause weight gain and not allow you to lose weight) NO Alcohol !!!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Try changing up your workouts. Google Tabata training or HIIT training, Circuit training. Also You biggest down fall is probably your eating. To loose and keep the body fat of you really have to be clean with your eating. Check out my diary. It is not perfect but it should give you a good idea how to change it up. Also I posted this a week or so ago Meal Plan

I adapted this from Jackie Warners meal plan that came with one of her DVDS

Each Main Meal equals about 400 calories; snacks equal around 100 to 150 calories, and the menus contain daily allotment of 4 proteins, 3 veggies, 2 fruits, 2 grains and 1 healthy fat.

Day 1
    Breakfast
    2 low-fat whole wheat tortillas; each filled with 1 scrambled egg and 1 tbsp salsa

Mid-Morning Snack
    1cup low-fat cottage cheese with 1 piece pf fresh fruit

Lunch
    2 cups Mixed greens or spinach salad with raw veggies, with 3oz chicken breast; 2 tbsp of light salad dressing; 1 slice of whole grain bread ( like Ezekiel 4:9 bread)

Mid- Afternoon Snack
    1 banana med to large

Dinner
    4 oz of pork tenderloin or lean loin chop with 1 cup of steamed veggies and 1 baked yam or med Red Skin potato ( 4-5oz)

Post Dinner

______________________________________________________________________________________
    Day 2
    Breakfast

Mid-Morning Snack
    1 cup cooked oat bran or oatmeal, with 2 tbsp walnuts or sunflower seeds sprinkled with cinnamon

Lunch
    2 cans (6oz.) tuna fish mixed with 1 tablespoon Low fat Mayo or Kraft Mayo with olive oil, mustard optional, on a generous bed of greens, 1 slice whole grain bread(Like Ezekiel 4:9 bread)

Mid-Afternoon Snack
    2 hard boiled eggs

Dinner
    4 oz of grilled chicken
    1 cup of asparagus or mixed veggies
    1 cup chopped fresh pineapple

Post Dinner

Day 3
    Breakfast

Mid-Morning Snack
    20 raw almonds

Lunch
    Dark, green leafy salad with salad veggies(green peppers, cucumbers, onions, ect.) with 1 tbsp low-fat/light salad dressing and 4 oz of grilled chicken breast,1 slice whole grain bread (Like Ezekiel 4:9 bread)

Mid- Afternoon Snack
    1 med. Apple 1 low-fat mozzarella stick

Dinner
    4oz of grilled sirloin steak
    1 cup steamed broccoli
    1 sweet potato, or med Red Skin potato(4-5 oz)

Post Dinner

___________________________________________________________________________________
    Day 4
    Breakfast
    2 eggs
    1 slice whole grain bread(like Ezekiel 4:9)
    Choice of: 1 orange, ½ grapefruit, 1 cup chopped mango, or 2 kiwi fruits

Mid-Morning Snack

Lunch
    Pita sandwich: whole grain pita pocket, 2oz low-fat feta cheese, 1 cup alfalfa sprouts, 1 small tomato(sliced) 1 tbsp evoo & vinegar dressing.

Mid-Afternoon Snack
    1 Large Apple or other fruit in season

Dinner
    4oz broiled or grilled sirloin steak
    1 med sweet potato or med red skin potato
    1 cup steamed veggies ( carrots, wax beans, green beans ect.)

Post Dinner

Day 5
    Breakfast
    1 slice whole grain bread toasted(like Ezekiel 4:9)
    1tbsp natural peanut butter
    ½ grape fruit

Mid-Morning Snack
    Whey Protein Shake ( ISO Sensation) or

Lunch
    Shrimp Salad: large bed of green leafy veggies and sliced tomato, topped with 4 oz of boiled shrimp and 1 tbsp dressing made with EVOO and balsamic vinegar
    1 med red skin baked potato

Mid- Afternoon Snack
    1 large Peach or other Fresh in season fruit

Dinner
    4 oz of roasted Cornish game hen (skin removed)
    1 cup winter/butternut squash

Post Dinner

Calculate and Write everything down to check and total calories…weight and measure everything out!!!!!! KEEP A FOOD LOG…You can use myfitnesspal.com
    Do Not eat anything with “High Fructose Corn Syrup”
    “Bleached or enriched flour” BAD
    “Simple Sugars”& Artificial Sweeteners
    Read YOUR LABLES “Partially hydrogenated
    “Watch the salt”
    These additives could make you feel hungry!!! and allow you to overeat!!! and cause long term health problems!!!!!!!!!!!
    DRINK WATER!!!! VERY IMPORTANT-- GREEN TEA, WHITE TEA IS OK NON SWEETENED
    NO POP!!!! REGULAR OR DIET( they will cause weight gain and not allow you to lose weight) NO Alcohol !!!

You should get your best results when your eating is clean and feel great too! I do :-))
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I think I'm in month 3 or 4 of my plateau and it's been VERY discouraging. Personally, I'm going to try increasing my lean muscle mass by increasing my daily intake of protein and doing weight training at least 3 times a week. I'll probably see some initial weight gain, but I think muscle burns 7 times as many calories as fat so I'll endure that to see some results long term. Also, at the beginning of the year, I'm going to try to shock my body by doing 6 weeks of one of the ridiculous workout programs (Insanity or P90X). We'll see....best of luck and please let me know what success you get and how!
  • laurenbausch
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting the cigs!!! I've been smoke free for awhile now. You are soooooo much healthier!!!! Stick with it! I need to exercise. That's my big flaw. Take lots of vitamins too!!!
  • healthcounts
    Options
    yes, plateau should be my middle name..lol. I think it helps to have more water intake and manage my stress. I find when I drink more water, herbal tea and work on my stress level it really changes the scale after a couple of days. I also montior my salt intake only using sea salt or Celtic salt.) I also juice whole organic vegetables more days in the week. I have taken a nutrition class recently and learn that our cortisol levels influence our body to hold on to fat. Fat protects us by holding toxins, the best way to eliminate the toxins safely is with a comprhensive detox flush. I buy fresh organic fruits and veggies(mostly greens) and spend two days a week in yoga class. I have lost 16 pounds and 4 inches. I feel great and hear wonderful compliments about my complexion. I do not take any over the counter pills or diet aids. I do not believe we need any detox programs over the counter.
    Try a freah fruit and veggie detox, google on line to find one that fits your lifestyle and pocket book. Best of luck! Stay strong !
  • bushman124
    bushman124 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The fact that you quit smoking and did not gain weight is awesome! As frustrating as it must be for you, a 30lb weight loss is such an accomplishment, especially with the quitting smoking in the mix. Hang in there and best of luck to you on your weight loss journey! :flowerforyou: By the way, when I quit smoking, I gained 30 lbs.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking! That's the best thing you've done for yourself in all this. Now, as to your diet, I looked over a few random days from your food diary going back about 6 weeks. This is a snapshot, so if I just happened to select "bad" days, I apologize in advance, but here's some tips that might get things moving again.

Track sodium and sugar. I see a lot of processed food and sugary treats. Sodium can derail weight loss, as can sugar, which is high in calories with very little nutrition.

I'd add more fresh fruit and veggies. I don't see a lot of those. They provide nutrients and help fill you up.

You seem to overeat or undereat a lot. Try to hit your recommended calorie goal every day. Consistency can help you keep your eating under control. Unless you're zig-zagging calories on purpose. If that's the case, never mind.

I think a few simple changes to clean up your diet will help you a lot. They did for me. Good luck!
  • rwhite1510
    rwhite1510 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I have still been really bad with the processed food. Still trying to work to get that out of my families diet. I am still working on baby steps. This month I am trying to get rid of some of the sugary snacks especially ice cream my biggest weakness. So this month, no ice cream for me. I think that is more difficult than quitting smoking. Next month, I plan to cut out milk chocolate.