Workout while watching TV

Options
So for the past few weeks while watching The Walking Dead, I've turned it into a workout game for myself. I typically workout while I watch my TV shows, but lately I've been switching it up to make it more exciting. For example, when a Zombie is shown on screen, I begin to sprint in place, as fast as I can, until the scene changes with no zombies. During dialogue or scenes without zombies, I tend to mix it up with jumping jacks, jump ropes, moderate jogging in place, and sometimes sit ups or squats.

This made me curious to see what other ideas people might have for workouts while watching TV (not just the walking dead)

I created a group here to share tips, games, motivate each other, and to talk about our favorite shows

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17740-tv-don-t-fry-your-brain-fry-the-couch-potato

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I like that idea. You're almost a character in the show. Set up a punching bag and pretend you are fighting the zombies! Maybe get out the chainsaw and swing it around the room. (OK, that one might be over the top.)

I struggle working out and watching tv. I am the kind of guy who likes to get the workout out of the way so I can be lazy when watching tv. I do think you are onto a good idea, though.
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    lol I like the punching bag idea (although I don't have one). Doing punches is good cardio though, I think I will incorporate that in fight scenes of all the TV shows I watch!
  • jonzo21
    Options
    Could use some more people who are "TV experts" to join the group and add some ideas for different workouts with different shows, since I only watch a limited amount of TV!
  • sewwy
    sewwy Posts: 21
    Options
    I actually watch The Amazing Race whilst exercising. It's surprisingly motivating. I use my exercise bike, and when team members are sprinting, i'll 'sprint', when they're doing something challenging, i'll up the resistance.
  • jonzo21
    Options
    I actually watch The Amazing Race whilst exercising. It's surprisingly motivating. I use my exercise bike, and when team members are sprinting, i'll 'sprint', when they're doing something challenging, i'll up the resistance.

that's a cool idea!