Do I HAVE to eat salmon and broccolli?

Options

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Just to add my little bit into the suggestions...this has worked for me and I have been maintaining for over a year. YAY for me.

I started with following MFP goals/calories 1200 a day plus exercise cals. I kept my diary without a doubt and logged everything,

I increased my exercise to give myself some extra stuff, like a glass of wine/a piece of chocolate.

I pretty much ate my normal diet but in much smaller portions. I was never a junk food eater to start just ate too much of stuff.

It worked for me I lost 45lbs.

Now I am a lot more conscious of macros and exercise. I want to eat more healthily.

OP it is all about personal choice...salmon and broccoli do not have to be the recipe of the day...moderation and exercise is a good start.

As a side note, what helped me to motivate myself at the beginning is reading the success stories on this site.

Good luck xx
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I'm in a good place right now and finally ready to lose the weight - I have 30lbs to go and may decide to drop a further 10 when I get there.

But I have issues.

In the past I've tried eating as clean as possible - think lean meats, eggs, greek yogurt, berries, nuts, vegetables. But I ALWAYS give in to my craving for a Chinese, and spiral downward from there. Eating so healthy is just too overwhelming (I've even tried the 'small changes' thing, but they never seem to stick).

So, what I'm wondering is, if I keep track of my calories, can I be a bit more flexible with what I eat?

Now, for the record, I'm NOT saying I'm going to eat 1500 calories worth of burgers, chips and chocolate. Just to clear that up.

But sometimes, a day might look like this:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs (160 calories), wholewheat toast (100 calories), butter (50 calories), mocha light frappuccino (150 calories)

Lunch: BBQ chicken wrap from cafe (400 calories)

Dinner: Subway (400 calories) - on the go

Late night snack after dance class - diet coke, chicken nuggets (300 calories)

Total: 1500 calories.

This is not perfect eating - I've got fast food and starbucks in amongst the lean protein and wholegrains. But, I've hit my calorie target for the day and it's not sooo bad.

I'm just thinking if something like this is better to strive for, than clean eating all the time, which I never seem to be able to sustain. The above is maintainable, whilst not perfect.

What do you all think? How do you strike the right balance?

one tincy wincy problem is though that how do you make sure that those calorie values you gave for the chicken wrap etc are the actual values. I mean by law I think they are allowed to have a 20% variance, so it's something to keep in mind with your endeavours.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I was good until I got to the chicken nuggets and diet coke, I cringed a little. You don't have to eat perfect all the time but something like that is taking it past loosening up a little. If you were to eat something like that, especially as late as you say, you're going to undo a lot of hard work. I'd suggest changing that one meal to something cleaner and you should be fine. Most days I eat close to 3 tablespoons on Nutter Butter

Maybe have an apple (or other fruit) and some cheese or some yogurt or almonds w/ your Diet Coke, instead of the chicken nuggets (chicken nuggets once in a while) and maybe add some veggies to your eggs in the morning, but otherwise, it seems okay ...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I was good until I got to the chicken nuggets and diet coke, I cringed a little. You don't have to eat perfect all the time but something like that is taking it past loosening up a little. If you were to eat something like that, especially as late as you say, you're going to undo a lot of hard work. I'd suggest changing that one meal to something cleaner and you should be fine. Most days I eat close to 3 tablespoons on Nutter Butter

I'm not sure where you are coming from. How is the OP going to "undo a lot of hard work"?

A person can eat what they want when they want and stay within their calorie limit and lose weight. Eating clean, as you call it, will not help or hinder weight loss. You can gain weight eating clean if you eat more calories than you burn.

The only thing needed to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Do you have to eat salmon and broccoli? Heck no...pass them over here. I love both of those!
  • lalawaterlala
    lalawaterlala Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat anything to have healthy weight loss, yes these foods (broccoli and salmon) will help aid you since they are low in unhealthy nutrition and high in healthy nutritional value. If you have negative net calories for the day, you've lost weight. You should also include your BMR (normal metabolic rate)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Do whatever is sustainable and at a calorie deficit and you'll be fine.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    You can find success eating whatever food you want as long as you hit your calorie goal and your macro-nutrient goal.

This ^
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate the whole "clean eating" fad!

There are NO foods that should be totally off limits (medical reasons excluded) if it means you cannot stick to it. Why do people feel they have to punish themselves to do this?

Eat a balanced diet. Set a reasonable calorie goal and meet it over the course of a week (single days can be higher or lower). Eat foods that allow you to get to your micronutrient goals. Eat a variety of foods so you hit your macronutrient goals.

That's it.

Allow yourself to eat Chinese once in a while if you like it. Eat chicken nuggets. Salmon is icky. Just make it fit.

This doesn't have to be so complicated people!

You have said something similar in more than one thread and I think it is important to distinguish your opinion from science. YES. You can lose weight while eating processed foods as long as you stay under your calorie goal, but this site is not called MyWeightLossPal, it is called MyFITNESSPal, and there are real, compelling reasons why people should eat cleanly. So I really wish that you would stop assuring people that it is fine to eat whatever they want as long as they are under their calories when clearly this is not the case except from a weight loss standpoint.

http://www.yaboga.com/paleo-metabolic.pdf

Actual science. I'm not sure what that site is, but you can also get the article from the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition if you want to pay $30. http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v63/n8/full/ejcn20094a.html
    Results: Compared with the baseline (usual) diet, we observed (a)significant reductionsin BP associated with improved arterial
    distensibility (!3.1±2.9, P¼0.01 and þ0.19±0.23, P¼0.05);(b) significant reduction in plasma insulin vs time AUC, during
    the OGTT (P¼0.006); and (c) large significant reductions in total cholesterol, low-density lipoproteins (LDL) and triglycerides
    (!0.8±0.6 (P¼0.007), !0.7±0.5 (P¼0.003) and !0.3±0.3 (P¼0.01) mmol/l respectively). In all these measured variables,
    either eight or all nine participants had identical directional responses when switched to paleolithic type diet, that is, near
    consistently improved status of circulatory, carbohydrate and lipid metabolism/physiology.
    Conclusions: Even short-term consumption of a paleolithic type diet improves BP and glucose tolerance, decreases insulin
    secretion, increases insulin sensitivity and improves lipid profiles without weight loss in healthy sedentary humans.
    European Journal of Clinical Nutrition advance online publication, 11 February 2009; doi:10.1038/ejcn.2009.4
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I eat crap all the time and have maintained for 3 years now. As long as you stay in a calorie range it really doesn't matter and eating chicken nuggets at night isn't going to undo any hard work.

Compared to the garbage people ate for the first million years of human evolution (and the eons of evolution that led to humans), we eat pretty high "quality" stuff these days, even the chicken nuggets. Very little in the way of harmful bacteria and maggots 'n such, for one thing. :drinker:

I try to keep my maggot eating at zero. I am pretty hard core about it.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    It's not undoing what you've done. There's no rule that says late night calories somehow turn to fat easier than early in the day ones.

Sounds sort of like what I have been doing as far as the foods go. If it fits into my calories, I'll eat it. Though, as far as nutrition goes, from that day, it sounds like you could benefit from more fruits and veggies.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to do anything. If you don't like it don't eat it. Personally I use moderation. I binge if I restrict myself too much. I keep it reasonable and I do much better.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of "if you like it then eat it". I happen to like brocolli and salmon. I'm not a big fan of chicken nuggets but I do like fried chicken on a very rare basis. I will drink diet Coke but it's got pretty high sodium levels so it isn't my friend. Enjoy your food. Stay within your macros. Good luck!
  • caity165
    Options
    Wow thanks everybody. I smiled a lot this morning when reading this thread.

I think the lesson I've learned in the past is that certain foods, as someone pointed out, make me crave more of them. Coke and fast food are two examples. In the long run I think it's easier for me to avoid them.

But one of my favourite meals is tuna and wholewheat pasta. I put mayonnaise in it, some grated cheese on top and put it under the grill. It comes in at 400 calories (I portion everything) but I've been trying to avoid it because I wanted to eat as 'clean' as possible...and mayo and pasta do not fall into that.

I think I'm going to start the day with greek yogurt, berries and almonds. I love that stuff, and it saves me cooking, and I get a portion of fruit and plenty of protein. I'll feel good knowing I've started the day well.

At lunchtime, my coworkers and I always have lunch together. Lately, I've been sitting there with a turkey on wholewheat sandwich while they eat their pastas and curry dishes feeling so deprived. I think I'll stop that!

I have noticed that if I exercise a lot and just don't eat cr@p, then I lose weight. So I just need to find a couple of recipes with plenty of vegetables, I think, and maybe bring those for lunch/dinner. I cook a pretty good turkey chilli so I can bulk that out with more vegetables.

Thanks for all the responses, I feel very welcomed to MFP now :)
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    A lot of great responses in here with a few you can ignore. You know which ones they are. You described my breakfast every day ! Do what is sustainable for you. It's only math for weight loss. It will be a few other things for other goals. You'll figure those out over time.
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Same here ... I was totally with you until the chicken nuggets ... Just try to take things out and add new things little by little. I agree going 100% clean can be very hard ... I've tried it before and binged like crazy ... I pefer to make little changes that I can actually keep up

I just keep thinking of the things that I used to eat compared to what I eat now ... and I can only keep going up! I think you're doing a great job just

50540473.png
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of days where I want to eat pizza. oh glorious pizza but I challenge myself because it is so hard. I try to see how long I can go without it. I try to set a record type of thing. I've been McDonalds free for 2 years now because I try to see how long I could keep it up and now I don't miss it at all!

I know people are suggesting fruit instead of the nuggets but, if you're anything like me, i crave something savoury rather than sweet. Generally, you shouldn't eat high sugar foods right before bed. Why not eat homemade meatballs (chicken or turkey)?
  • caity165
    Options
    Maybe I shouldn't have included the nuggets in there. This is by no means representative of my every day (maybe every Thursday, because I walk past a McDonalds on my out of a dance class - sometimes I'll have a coke and a cheeseburger, other times just a diet coke). I really just wanted a kind of example of things I typically eat, healthy and non healthy. I would love to never eat McDonalds again, but that thought just makes me sad. I like my comforts. And chicken nuggets and a coke didn't make me overweight - a burger and fries 3+ times a week (along with other bad habits) did.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There's NOTHING wrong with chicken nuggets. Nothing wrong with any individual food if you make it fit into your goals.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate the whole "clean eating" fad!

There are NO foods that should be totally off limits (medical reasons excluded) if it means you cannot stick to it. Why do people feel they have to punish themselves to do this?

Eat a balanced diet. Set a reasonable calorie goal and meet it over the course of a week (single days can be higher or lower). Eat foods that allow you to get to your micronutrient goals. Eat a variety of foods so you hit your macronutrient goals.

That's it.

Allow yourself to eat Chinese once in a while if you like it. Eat chicken nuggets. Salmon is icky. Just make it fit.

This doesn't have to be so complicated people!

You have said something similar in more than one thread and I think it is important to distinguish your opinion from science. YES. You can lose weight while eating processed foods as long as you stay under your calorie goal, but this site is not called MyWeightLossPal, it is called MyFITNESSPal, and there are real, compelling reasons why people should eat cleanly. So I really wish that you would stop assuring people that it is fine to eat whatever they want as long as they are under their calories when clearly this is not the case except from a weight loss standpoint.

http://www.yaboga.com/paleo-metabolic.pdf

Actual science. I'm not sure what that site is, but you can also get the article from the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition if you want to pay $30. http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v63/n8/full/ejcn20094a.html
    Results: Compared with the baseline (usual) diet, we observed (a)significant reductionsin BP associated with improved arterial
    distensibility (!3.1±2.9, P¼0.01 and þ0.19±0.23, P¼0.05);(b) significant reduction in plasma insulin vs time AUC, during
    the OGTT (P¼0.006); and (c) large significant reductions in total cholesterol, low-density lipoproteins (LDL) and triglycerides
    (!0.8±0.6 (P¼0.007), !0.7±0.5 (P¼0.003) and !0.3±0.3 (P¼0.01) mmol/l respectively). In all these measured variables,
    either eight or all nine participants had identical directional responses when switched to paleolithic type diet, that is, near
    consistently improved status of circulatory, carbohydrate and lipid metabolism/physiology.
    Conclusions: Even short-term consumption of a paleolithic type diet improves BP and glucose tolerance, decreases insulin
    secretion, increases insulin sensitivity and improves lipid profiles without weight loss in healthy sedentary humans.
    European Journal of Clinical Nutrition advance online publication, 11 February 2009; doi:10.1038/ejcn.2009.4

Firstly: not all clean eating is going to be paleo, so I'm not sure your citation is 100% relevant here.

Secondly: that is one study of nine people who ate paleo for 10 days. Not exactly a gold standard. The guy who did the Twinkie study also saw improved markers of health too. [http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/]

Third: their diet included carrot juice. Where did paleolithic people get juicers from?

Fourth: the paleo diet isn't. We don't know what paleolithic people ate. We do know they lived in different places and would have had access to different foods, so there was no one monolithic paleo diet. We know that foods that are available now are not what paleolithic people would have had access to - they have been modified by human selection over the past few thousand years. Also, the idea that we never ate grain is just silly. Do you think the paleo people woke up 10,000 years ago and said "hey, lets farm these things we've never eaten before!" Or did they maybe eat them when they could, and gradually began farming them? With dairy, we know that humans did become lactose tolerant within the past 10,000 years. Evolution does happen! And what of changes in our gut microbiota that could help us digest food? The Mediterranean diet is a "blue zone" of longevity, and yet people there eat (amongst other things) dairy and grain, showing that these things are not themselves detrimental to overall health.

Fifth: humans are omnivores. We eat all the food.

Sixth: Fallacy of the excluded middle. I never suggested that the OP should live on only chicken nuggets. In fact, I specifically said "eat a balanced diet" and "eat foods that allow you to get to your micronutrient goals". As long as all our nutritional needs are being met (sufficient fat and protein, sufficient vitamins, minerals etc), we don't get brownie points for getting more "nutrition". Eating chicken nuggets occasionally as part of an otherwise "healthy" diet isn't going to kill you. Single foods are not the issue: the issue is with the general overall diet.

Seventh: I never said clean eating was bad for you. Or paleo for that matter. But I do think that for many (not all) people, compliance will be an issue. We see many times on here people say "I cut out X and then I ate it and binged!". Overly restrictive diets are not good for most people. [Medical issues excluded, of course.]

Eighth: The one thing that has been shown to help people improve their health consistently is weightloss. How you get there doesn't matter - the simple act of bringing your BMI (despite the flaws in that system) out of the obese range will improve overall markers of health for most people.