60 pounds in 6 months?

Options
Can I lose 50-60 pounds in 6 months? Im trying to be realistic and not get pumped up and think ill lose 100 in 6 months. Has anyone lost 60 pounds ? And how long did it take? Im starting to do zumba 40-60 minutes a day and want to do it atleast 5 times a week. i am also eating 1600 calories a day and I am 264 and 5'10. Any advice and feedback would be great.

Replies

• Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight (back when i was on weight watchers and before baby) I lost 60 lbs in 6 months but i think 40-50 is totally realistic. Just eat right and exercise and don't stress and you'll get there :)
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    10 pounds a month can be done in the beginning if you really work hard, but realistically near the end of the 6 months it will probably not be possible to lose 10 per. Aim for 30-40 pounds in 6 months.

Track everything you eat. Get exercise through something you love doing (Zumba is a great workout.) You might burnout quickly if you push yourself too hard at first, so get comfortable with the idea of working out more and eating less before you go too hard.

Best of luck on your journey. If you have the drive to do it, you will do it.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It's certainly possible, but probably not the best idea if you want to KEEP the weight off. However, if you go ahead and start losing weight it a healthy way, you can lose a significant amount in 6 months. You may be one of the rare people who can lose that much in a healthy way, and even if you don't lose all of it, you'll be much closer to your goal than you are now. Generally the more you have to lose, the faster you can go, safely.

I've collected some of what I thought were the better suggestions: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993
  • keltoi93
    keltoi93 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started at 256lbs at 6"1 and have lost exactly 60 pounds to date in a period of under 5 months so yes it is very much possible.
  • ReadyForWeightLoss
    Options
    Thank you all so much , I am going to work my butt off to reach my goals . Im sick of being this heavy I am never happy when it comes to my weight and or shopping for clothes. Cant wait to share with you guys in 6 months see yall there ! Im excited I know we are all going to have our ups and downs but we can do this !!
  • maltted
    maltted Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 lbs starting in November and finished in May. It is possible. Exercise and calorie counting. Burn more than you take in and you are golden. Do not eat late at night!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Can I lose 50-60 pounds in 6 months? Im trying to be realistic and not get pumped up and think ill lose 100 in 6 months. Has anyone lost 60 pounds ? And how long did it take? Im starting to do zumba 40-60 minutes a day and want to do it atleast 5 times a week. i am also eating 1600 calories a day and I am 264 and 5'10. Any advice and feedback would be great.

Yes, at that size 60 pounds in 6 months is very feasible. Not easy, it will require effort and concentration.

But definitely doable.
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It is possible, but I'd also aim for maybe 40lbs instead, that way you'll be more inspired by smaller losses when they happen, rather than being disappointed if you didn't hit the big goal yet. And hey, if you do lose that much that's even more reason to be excited!

I actually started a group for people trying to reach a goal for spring 2014. My goal is to lose 25-30lbs by April. There are others there that have higher weight loss goals like yourself. Check it out

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17737-goal-spring-2014-weight-loss
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I did it. 60lbs in 6 months. Feel free to add me.

My weight loss looked like this. It wasn't linar at all.

May 14, 2013 - 278.2 lbs
    Jun 3, 2013 - 268.2 lbs
    July 2, 2013 - 258.2 lbs
    July 23, 2013 - 248.2 lbs
    Sept 2, 2013 - 238.0 lbs
    Oct 6, 2013 - 228.4
    Nov 15, 2013 - 216.8
  • gallowglasslass
    gallowglasslass Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Very possible, I am almost at 60 lbs lost after 5 1/2 months (started 14th June).

3weightbyweek26Nov_zps36cdfd88.jpg

Mr. Knight is right, there is a lot of effort and concentration involved, but you can take short breaks - I took a few weeks off in early September (when I had lost 33 lbs, 1/3 of the way to my goal) and also the first few weeks this month (at a little over half-way to goal). It depends, of course, on whether you are able to get started again after a rest period. I spent the first 3 weeks this month eating 2200 calories a day and only exercising for an average of 25 minutes/day. Lost only 3.5 pounds in that time, so it's time to get back into gear and work out more. :grumble:

Make sure you choose an exercise that you love to do, or at least don't have to force yourself to do. If the Zumba doesn't do it for you, try something else before you burn out and decide that you dread exercising. It's a lot of hard work, but so worth it.

P.S. Your kid is adorable. You probably burn more calories chasing him around than with the Zumba!

ETA: Think I finally got the pic to post properly... maybe.