Drinking alcohol whilst dieting

Options

Replies

• sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    diet cranberry ginger ale with cranberry moonshine is my drink of choice this time of year.
  • halbertlaec
    Options
    pure green coffee bean extract online
    <a href="http://leanmaxx.com/">buy green coffee bean extract online</a>

Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Alcohol inhibits fat loss. Alcohol is the first fuel burned if in the body and till it's gone. It's also nutrient free. So depending on how much one drinks................

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    .........the consumer's nutrient density care factor will vary somewhat. ;)

I've converted to red wine having liked the sweet stuff, seems to work OK for me.

I drink buckets of the stuff regularly, love it.

Going home to do so now in fact.

Bring dem empty calories on!
  • drshona
    drshona Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Gin and diet tonic. Ask for double the tonic if you want a longer drink.

Bloody Mary - even counts as one of your 5 a day.

Any diet drink with gin / vodka / brandy / rum etc in it. Eg diet ginger beer with rum or brandy.
  • drshona
    drshona Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Oh, and don't starve yourself to save calories and then drink. You'll just get drunk and land up eating more because you're drunk...
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Sipping straight spirits is one option. I like a decent tequila but you could do vodka, bourbon, scotch, rum, etc. You can have two shots in a tumbler (3oz) for around 200 - 240 calories and you are unlikely to gulp straight spirits down. Sip and nip over the course of 30 - 60 minutes and then follow it with a glass of water or two. I actually consider spirits my "treat" on most days and sip some before bed while reading or watching something stupid on TV. It's often more satisfying and calorie efficient to me than wine / beer / or cocktails.

i cant drink spirits in sips... shoots are all i can do :D
  • slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have soda water (which in the UK is just carbonated water) - lovely and refreshing and goes nice with vodka, martini and red wine
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I didn't change my drinking habits at all this year and I lost 28 kg.

a glass (or two) of wine most nights. more at the weekend if theres something that warrants it. Don't often get drunk. Wouldn't matter that much if I did (don't get hangovers) but prefer not to go too far.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I usually drink light beer, wines or vodka and soda water with a bit of lime :happy:

As long as it fits in my calories I am all good!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I usually have vodka club soda with a wedge of lime < I squirt some lime juice in there > . Sometimes I do have a glass or two of red or white wine. It's not a big deal to me as I have max 3 drinks if so much and I account for it
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I used to do sweet whites and heavy calorie beer ...

Now I drink Miller 64 for beer and I get a DRYYYYY red ... I didnt like it at first but it isnt that bad now ... I am convinced that it gets me drunker faster.

What I have really done is not drink everyday like i did in law school ... making me more of a treat!
    50540473.png
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have changed over to malibu and diet pepsi, although I really love malibu and pineapple juice, but the sugars in the juice is crazy!
  • rosemary98
    Options
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I like basically the same drinks you do! The first response I would give is simply to cut back and reserve drinks for special occasions and treats. That was helpful for me - instead of having a drink with dinner on a random weeknight, I reserve it for when I am out with friends, dinners with families, etc.

I really like making white wine spritzers with half white wine (I like the sweet ones too) and club soda. Cuts the calories in half!

I also like ciders and out of curiosity just now, did a search for low cal ciders. It looks like Michelob makes one: http://www.appforhealth.com/2012/06/michelob-ultra-light-cider-review/

Best of luck to you!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Is this for a night of heavy drinking, or what?

I've had no issues losing weight healthily while including alcohol. I have the very rare mixed drink, but only because I prefer nice, unfiltered craft beer (full of B vitamins, so... not nutritionally empty, thanks), or dry reds. I've been literally told to "drink my medicine" by my doctor.

If I know I'm drinking anything, I make sure I drink lots of water, might get an extra workout in, and mind my weekly calories so I can be fine with a splurge. Often, I just fit a beer or glass of wine in every few days.
  • gurse
    gurse Posts: 9
    Options
    eat more protein than usual on drinking days. Here's an article that explains it all. http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

and some alcohol caloric information

http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Makers Mark 45 is only like 80 cals for 100ML. That is a LOT of alchy for 80 cals. Pair that with some zero cal coke or dr pepper 10 for a great, but manageable drink.

p.s. love leangains!
  • katieme
    katieme Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Vodka lime and soda is my tipple of choice at the moment but am looking forward to a couple of sherries over christmas :)
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    RED WINE. ~115 calories per 5 oz (depending on the brand). I find it has the most bang for your buck.

Though some here will have you believe no one in their right minds could like red wine.....