Raw Kale and Brussel Sprout Salad

1/2 package of washed, cut kale
1/2 package of shaved brussel sprouts
1 lemon
2 table spoons of organic, course ground dijon mustard
1/2 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Cloves of Garlic
Sea salt and pepper
1/2 Cup of raw pecans, or any nut of your choice. I would recommend sticking with pecans, walnuts, or hazelnuts.
3/4 cup of shaved pecorino, romano and parmesan cheese

Squeeze lemon into a bowl, chop garlic and add to lemon juice, let it soak while prepping the rest of the salad.
Chop up nuts and saute them in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with sea salt and course black pepper, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently so they dont burn, take the nuts when done and set them aside in a paper towel to soak up extra oil. Toss the remaining olive oil in with the kale and brussel sprouts, whisk together the garlic and lemon mixture with the dijon mustard, then add that too the kale and brussel sprouts as well. Add the nuts and cheese! And Oh my god, healthy, tasty, full of nutrition salad to eat for lunch or dinner, or as a side dish!

Replies

• Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    This sounds really great, especially with the sauteed nuts :) How much by weight do you figure is in a package of kale and Brussels sprouts?
  • Not sure, all I do is take both packages and use half of a bag... I go to trader joes and do all my shopping there...so I use their brand packaged fresh produce...

It is really amazingly good! I didn't think it would be so good but the nuts and the cheese, along with the garlicy dressing, make it so good!

This recipe is enough for 2-3 servings, if I eat it by my self...
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    tumblr_lyloo3MDGO1r6aoq4o1_500.gif
  • it sounds like the stinkiest, but yummiest salad ever. I'll have to try it!
  • Too sjohnny!! LOL.....I suppose you think thats gross!! Funny!
  • I guess the garlic and cheese would make it stinky but its really good, if you like your rough greens!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    tumblr_lyloo3MDGO1r6aoq4o1_500.gif

I'm with Jdepp sorry. I don't think I'd like it. I think it's great for you though and would try it but hmm.. not so sure.
  • Interesting. I love mustard so I think I will try it.
  • Cam you eat it cold or does it have to be eaten right away.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Bump
  • No you can eat it anytime, I usually eat some right away and save the rest for lunch the next day
  • Bump

I am new to all of this, so I have to ask what does BUMP mean?