Getting that Nausea feeling

Options
Can anyone help me understand and maybe give me some tips on why I feel sick when I exercise and how to combat it? I have experienced it in the past while running. I tend to get a wave of nausea to the point I actually think I'm going to vomit.

This morning I started a Tone and Shape class, and within 10/15 mins of cardio, I went dizzy and experienced the need to vomit. It passed after I laid on my mat for a minute and had a drink of water but it put me off slightly.

Little background. I've let myself go a bit and haven't done any training in over 10 years so I'm not very fit. These bouts of nausea are usually on a empty stomach i.e in morning before breakfast or evening before tea. FYI too, I've never ate breakfast, i cant stomach it in the morning.

Any and all help appreciated :smile:

Replies

• daynes23
    daynes23 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I can't dream of exercising without having eaten before hand (30-60 mins) even if it's just a piece of toast with some PB. I can't do it on an empty stomach. I would suggest maybe signing up for a class in the afternoon or evening after you've gotten some food in your stomach. Or just learn to love breakfast! Even if it's just a granola bar or a banana.
  • staceyycaddy
    Options
    I don't know why I can't stomach breakfast. I actually feel sick when presented with food in the morning. I was told by the doctor if I can't eat at 7am then fruit about 10 ish should suffice. But I honestly don't think its anything to do with that. It seems to happen only when I exert myself. I read on Wikipedia about Exercise induced nausea. I wouldn't be too far off assuming that it could be that.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise-induced_nausea
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    You've answered it yourself - exercising on an empty stomach.
    Your body needs calories to exercise, especially if you are doing it with any real intensity. Some people can exercise fasted, but not everyone, and the people that can are usually on a higher amount of calories and have eaten enough the night before or in the morning.
    If you are already on low calories, and you are trying to exercise, then it'll make you feel how it has been making you feel. Either within a suitable amount of time before or you're likely to continue feeling this way.
  • 87monkey
    87monkey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    maybe slow down a bit? Are you pushing yourself too hard? I guess everyone is different but I do not eat before I workout and I feel fine. How much do you eat per day? Are you eating your exercise calories back?