Day 1 30 Day Shred

I'm a massive procrastinator and have always put off working out, making excuses like not enough time/long day/social obligations. Decided enough is enough and having read various posts on the forum have decided to start the 30 Day Shred.

In the past I've done Insanity for around 30 days with multiple off days in between, but felt because it was so tough and upto an hour I would always find excuses to not to do it and would dread it.

So, just finished Day 1, Level 1 of 30ds and feel actually this is do-able and sustainable, and perhaps it's something I won't keep putting off, and may actually continue it the whole way through.

I don't have any free weights at the moment but shall buy some - anybody recommend household alternatives? Somebody recommended a tin of beans, but this I felt was too light..all suggestions welcome

Look forward to any tips and motivation xx

Replies

• I tried the 30 Day Shred for the first time today too, and I really enjoyed it (although I had to have a 5 minute break in the middle!) but I don't have any weights either.
    I went to the kitchen as I have heard you can use a tin of beans too but they are so light I didn't think it would be worth it, so I found some litre bottles and filled them with water. Apparently a litre of water weighs about 1 kilogram which is obviously a lot more than a tin of beans so I used the water bottles instead.
    Personally I think this was a really good weight to use to start off with as it provided quite a lot of resistance and I could definitely feel my arms burning!
    If you don't have any litre bottles, they are the ones that tonic water come in so they are just slim enough to comfortably wrap my hands around them.

Hope this helps!
  • http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1120018-anyone-interested-in-joining-30ds-challenge-group

also here is a link to a group that i have joined in which everyone is going to start the 30 day shred on monday (4th nov) if you are interested in joining. I only tried out Level 1 today to see if I could actually do it! haha
  • i meant 4th december of course haha
  • sidcianicliff
    sidcianicliff Posts: 17 Member
    I started my first day of 30 Day Shred. It was okay... Only because my 2 yr old kept turning off the tv. Grrrr... I was watching it from You Tube so each time I had turn back on the tv and it wouldn't let me fast forward to where I left off. So then I'd run in place until it got to the place I had left off.. Only to have the little one turn it off 5 mins later... After 3 times of that.. I stopped to give him some attention and started it again much later. . This time I used my IPad. That worked out better since I could fast forward. So I guess the lesson learned is to do this video when he's asleep.

So I didn't get the full "circuit" benefit. But I liked it.. It totally seems doable. I know that it benefitted me some since I can already tell I'll be sore tomorrow. I didn't realize some are doing the shred starting Dec 4 th... I'll have to check that out. I took before pictures this am so looking forward to seeing some results in 30 days!!.
  • I'm planning on starting today...or...tomorrow? ;) I'm gonna hate Jillian the first days I heard? Oh dear :')
  • 73Laine
    73Laine Posts: 63 Member
    May i join this thread? i also just started less than a week ago. I plan to do day 5 this afternoon after work. And yes trust me after day 2 i was already feeling the love/hate relationship that others have talked about having towards JM. I
  • Cindy_2013
    Cindy_2013 Posts: 9 Member
    Well I completed day 5 last night. I started 7 days ago. I skipped one day here and one day there. I haven't found it any easier from day 1 and day 5, I doubt I'll be ready for level 2 after 10 sessions!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Loved doing the 30 day shred....actually anything by Jillian!
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    when i didn't have weights i used milk cannisters full of water...
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    I'm starting Day 1 today as well. However, I have started several times before, and only ever made it to Day 7. I recommend starting off light. I use 3lbs for the first, but intend to use 5 lbs for Levels 2 and 3. Good luck!
  • sidcianicliff
    sidcianicliff Posts: 17 Member
    I 'm supposed to do Day 3 Level 1 today... I'm pretty sore... and I wanted to do some interval running today... I'm cursing JM right now.. lol

I'll still do the running.... AND......I'm going to try to do it again today... it's only 20 mins right!! lol

On a positive note... I already feel like my stomach is flatter... is it too early to feel that.. I've only done two days... haha..
    I'm sure it's all in my mind. :)
  • I'm a massive procrastinator and have always put off working out, making excuses like not enough time/long day/social obligations. Decided enough is enough and having read various posts on the forum have decided to start the 30 Day Shred.

In the past I've done Insanity for around 30 days with multiple off days in between, but felt because it was so tough and upto an hour I would always find excuses to not to do it and would dread it.

So, just finished Day 1, Level 1 of 30ds and feel actually this is do-able and sustainable, and perhaps it's something I won't keep putting off, and may actually continue it the whole way through.

I don't have any free weights at the moment but shall buy some - anybody recommend household alternatives? Somebody recommended a tin of beans, but this I felt was too light..all suggestions welcome

Look forward to any tips and motivation xx

I've done this work out and I love it....after awhile it gets a little tidous even thought the results are always amazing. I started doing her killer buns and thighs as a switch up and doing some strangth training on off days. I used free weights because I had them but I've also used bottles of water in a pinch or 1/2 gallons of water/milk try that
  • sounds amazing! i think i may join :)

so far done 3 days..in a row..but took a break today as worked 14hrs straight and skipped lunch..but from tomorrow back on track!!
  • i dont mind tedious..so long as there are results yay! I'm glad it worked for you.. I kind of like knowing what to expect next, so the repetition works well for me, otherwise I spend the first ten seconds just getting in place etc
  • [/quote]

I've done this work out and I love it....after awhile it gets a little tidous even thought the results are always amazing. I started doing her killer buns and thighs as a switch up and doing some strangth training on off days. I used free weights because I had them but I've also used bottles of water in a pinch or 1/2 gallons of water/milk try that
    [/quote]

sorry still new with this quote thing..the above message was directed at you!
  • I 'm supposed to do Day 3 Level 1 today... I'm pretty sore... and I wanted to do some interval running today... I'm cursing JM right now.. lol

I'll still do the running.... AND......I'm going to try to do it again today... it's only 20 mins right!! lol

On a positive note... I already feel like my stomach is flatter... is it too early to feel that.. I've only done two days... haha..
    I'm sure it's all in my mind. :)

No I totally agree with you! I've only done three days and already feel healthier..which is odd, because it's not the most strenuous of programmes. It still makes me breathless and willing it to end, but it's no way a killer like the few days of insanity I did or gym classes etc. I woke up sore, which motivates me into thinking I've done good.. keep going!! And keep posting your progress
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Im on day 10 of phase one today. Down about 6 lbs and an inch or two in that time. I did take off three days in the middle to let my body rest.

And obviously pairing it with a diet.
  • Im on day 10 of phase one today. Down about 6 lbs and an inch or two in that time. I did take off three days in the middle to let my body rest.

And obviously pairing it with a diet.

so its working!...just what i need to hear to keep me going.