Men, what's a normal main meal allowance?

Options
Sorry to sound sexist, but I'm just trying to draw context from other guys, preferably those in their 20s. These types of threads are redundant and I apologize for adding YET another one, but what normally happens is that everyone pitches in and you end up confused.

So the variables are:

- main mean (mine is dinner)
- male
- in weight loss mode
- On 1700 calories a day
- 26 years old
- Confused as hell as to what a normal dinner for someone like me should be.

I normally have about 200-300 calories for breakfast, 300 for lunch, 100-200 for snacks of all types, so this leaves me with 700-900 calories for dinner.

I FEEL like this is way too much for someone losing weight. BUT, mathematics says it isn't.

When I was on much lower allowance it was never an issue. What happened is that as I raised my allowance, my lunch and breakfast habits didn't change much so my dinner allowance is now HUGE?!

Before I lost all my weight (about 46kg - 101 lbs), I used to have BIG eating disorders. And to make matters worse, my parents are freaks when it comes to this, their portions are very low, in the 500 calorie range, so I never quite formed an idea of what a "normal" dinner is?

Replies

• Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I eat 500-900 cals at dinner. it all depends on how many calories I ate prior in the day
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    this leaves me with 700-900 calories for dinner.

I FEEL like this is way too much for someone losing weight. BUT, mathematics says it isn't.

my parents are freaks when it comes to this, their portions are very low, in the 500 calorie range

So, if your parents are 'freaks' because they eat such LOW portions... in the 500 calorie range... then, wouldn't your 700 - 900 calories for dinner, be somewhere around 'normal?'

Honestly, you can divide up your daily goal calories any way you want. I actually get very nervous if I have less than 1,000 calories remaining for dinner.
    I used to have BIG eating disorders

I think this is flashbacks to your eating disorders.... you see 700 - 900 calories on your dinner plate, and it simply scares you. If the mathematics aren't failing you, and you ARE losing weight at the rate you chose.... then, enjoy your supper.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    That's fine for dinner. It matters not how you space your meals out, just what the total energy balance is. Try not to sweat over it.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It really depends. I do IF and only eat 2-3 meals a day, and if I train that may burn as much as 1800 cals. So it's not uncommon for me to have 2000+ cal dinners.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I normally have between 700 - 1,200 calories for my dinner (including something to drink and dessert), and have been doing that pretty much since I started losing weight last year. Now that I am at maintenance and have more calories, it basically means that I have a couple more snacks than I used to.

Like Sloth3toes, I also get nervous if I get to dinnertime with less than 1000 calories.
  • cyclist_44060
    cyclist_44060 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am in the range of 700-900 calories for Dinner
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1,800 calls and my meal breakdown is very similar to what you quoted. My main meal of the day is 600-800 most days, I maybe use more for lunch and snacks than you do but as long as you are feeling OK through out the day it doesn't really matter 'when' you use them IMO.
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    As others have alluded to, do not fear the big numbers. I eat about 1000 calories the first half of the day, and about 2000 during the second half. How these are divided up all depends on when and what I feel like eating.

Don't sweat the numbers if they are right--that is a recipe for anxiety and you don't need that.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    The whole meal frequency and allotment is basically personal preference and what you can adhere to with ultimate success and sustainability.... I was at 3500 calories for weight loss but have been in maintenance for the past year at 4000-4200 so basing anything off my calorie intake is not going to get you anywhere... That being said I prefer to eat a bigger breakfast and a bigger supper and a moderate lunch... This is just what works best for my needs..... Best of Luck to you.......
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks all very helpful responses. You know after around a 6 months roller coaster ride of wrongs and rights you start to lose sense of what's happening around you. My friends have Dominos and Burger Kings for dinners, so I can't rely on them as a reference. Glad to know I'm on the average side then!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The whole meal frequency and allotment is basically personal preference and what you can adhere to with ultimate success and sustainability.... I was at 3500 calories for weight loss but have been in maintenance for the past year at 4000-4200 so basing anything off my calorie intake is not going to get you anywhere... That being said I prefer to eat a bigger breakfast and a bigger supper and a moderate lunch... This is just what works best for my needs..... Best of Luck to you.......

^this

My calories for dinner are entirely dependent on what my calories earlier in the day were. Well, that's not *entirely* true as I'm not trying to lose...so if I want more calories, I have more calories.

All that said, my dinners are *usually* around 1200-1500ish as part of an overall 2700-3000 daily allowance.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman, but my favorite days are when I have ~1,000 calories left for dinner. I deal with BED, and I have found one of the best ways to control (or perhaps redirect?) my binges is to have one meal where I can feel stuffed and satisfied by eating a mass number of calories in one sitting. Fairly often I'll have an entire pizza for dinner. Has not hurt my weight loss at all.
  • viperk1
    viperk1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1600 a day and my dinner could range from 500 to 1200 cals. It just depends on what I've already eaten and it makes no difference to the body in the long run which time of the day the calories come in.

That being said, I try not to eat a huge dinner close to bedtime because I wake up feeling bloated and acidic.
  • DapperKay
    Options
    You guys are right to say that you cant say because it depends on what you ate that day and your own allowance. I suppose I should have added that you should think of this in % terms.

So in a 1700 calorie diet, 850 cals is 50%. I'm around that for my main meal, which seems to me as a large number.

But I am still losing so obviously not a major concern, just want to draw context from fellow MFPers.

If you are on a similar boat, add me as a friend, would love to see some diaries to draw context! :)
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You guys are right to say that you cant say because it depends on what you ate that day and your own allowance. I suppose I should have added that you should think of this in % terms.

So in a 1700 calorie diet, 850 cals is 50%. I'm around that for my main meal, which seems to me as a large number.

But I am still losing so obviously not a major concern, just want to draw context from fellow MFPers.

If you are on a similar boat, add me as a friend, would love to see some diaries to draw context! :)

I think 50% is fine as long as you are maintaining a deficit. Some people actually only eat 1 meal a day. If it works for them fine. Just continue to do what works for you and you will be fine too.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

The point you're missing is that the percentages don't matter. Reach your calorie goal for the day. You can eat all 1700 calories in one meal if you like, or you can split dinner into 3 separate 300 calorie meals if you like. It... just... doesn't... matter!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Typically between 600-1500 calories for dinner. I pretty much wing dinner based on what I ate earlier in the day.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

The point you're missing is that the percentages don't matter. Reach your calorie goal for the day. You can eat all 1700 calories in one meal if you like, or you can split dinner into 3 separate 300 calorie meals if you like. It... just... doesn't... matter!

:drinker:

/END THREAD
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Any less than about 700 and I usually don't feel satiated. If I eat 700 or so I will get up still wanting to eat, but will be OK in about an hour.

It usually takes me 1500 or more to begin to feel like I've overdone it.
  • DapperKay
    Options

But isn't time of day important? Doesn't metabolism take a dip at night? By that logic a person can have 1700 calories 5 minutes before bed?...

I do get the gist of your post though, but forgetting the physical aspect, how people space their meals and what they eat in them is mentally important.