Strength training vs Cardio

Options
13»

Replies

• conqkm11
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. I mean honestly, I am already pretty toned. I have gone to the gym pretty much since college, so that's like 10+ years...and am an avid Yoga practitioner.

My main goal is to just lose weight as quickly and efficiently as possible. Strength training is totally new to me so that's why I posted this blog. I just have to see how I can fit it into my lifestyle and if it will truly be beneficial for me. I don't want to bulk up, I want to thin down :).

u wont bulk up by lifting weights while losing fat u will maintain ur muscle to avoid the skinny fat look , ..u bulk up when eat more than u burn and lift weights .
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    LOL 5lbs on a rubber ball....funny. No I've been doing 8lbs or 7.5 for triceps and 12.5 for biceps (cause they are stronger and can handle). I started with 5 lbs but working my way up. I usually do alot with legs with my cardio and spinning, so that's why I've been focusing more on Arms for weights. I LOVE cardio so I know I will not give that up. It keeps me level-headed and the serotonin release does wonders for me. If I have to do weights for 30 min, on top of that, I will. I usually do 2 or 3 sets of bicep curls, 3 sets triceps (not sure what it's called...the behind lifting and then I do the one above my head for 3 sets too). 10-12 reps in each set.
    My comment was made as a joke torward PTs who make people do such silly things, not toward you.

Having said that, doing some curls and tricep extensions are not going to get you the results you seek. In fact, if you're unwilling to cut into your cardio workout, are a beginner to weight training, and are stressed for time, then you should never do a curl or tricep extension ever. You can do a decent strength routine in about 15 minutes provided you split your workout between 5-7 days a week, but you'll have to focus on a few key compound exercises. You'll plateu in about 6 months and have to either accept it or do more extensive weight training, but you'll see definite results.

This is what I gave my wife to do based on researching various beginner routine suggestions on the web. She doesn't want to give up doing an hour of elliptical training everyday, so it's a quick strength routine that can help build muscle. All exercises are 3 sets of 4-6 reps (move up in weight when you can hit 6 on any single set and still get at least 4 reps in subsequent sets). Anything more extensive than this and you'll have to either spend more time in the gym or cut into cardio time:

Day 1 and 4:
    -Bench press
    -Overhead press
    -Dips, use the assist at first to get the desired reps
    -(if you must work triceps, insert skull crushers here)

Day 2 and 5:
    -Pullups, use the assist at first to get the desired reps
    -Seated Row
    -Deadlift
    -(if you must work biceps, insert barbell curls here)

Day 3 and 6:
    -Squat or leg press
    -Leg curl
    -Leg extension
    -If you must work calves, insert calf raises here)

Day 7: rest or light cardio

You can do cardio and these workouts on the same day. Your body won't explode for doing it.
  • woohoomer
    woohoomer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Make sure your cardio means something and isn't just on an elliptical set at 3... if you are going to do work - work hard! Lift hard, cardio hard and the rest will float off. Also, switch it up with your HIIT. I find running stairs w/ a med ball brings my heart rate up insane, then I'll switch it up with agility, etc.
  • woohoomer
    woohoomer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Let's discuss Metabloic damage - how do you recover? I totally think I have f'd up my body with chasing cardio and fat burners.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I usually do 3-4 weight-specific sessions per week, with 3-5 cardio. Depends on the week, and how I'm feeling, really. You can mix and match the two for whatever works best for you. I tend to have more time for strength-specific exercises, because they take less time.
  • nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    I do 5-6 days 45-60min Aerobic and strength training and 30 min. Cardio.
    1-2 days only Cardio and light basic training for core fitness.
  • highlandmoo64
    Options
    My 2 cents here is that doing cardio after weights is a little counter productive - you've just lifted some heavy stuff and got all those little tears in your muscles. You then want to use those muscles straight after doing cardio?

OK, if it's just arms and then you go and bike for two hours, fair enough. If you're smashing out some squats and deadlifts or something, do your cardio before then rest up afterwards.

Currently I do about ~14 hours of cycling a week + commuting to work and two 90' weights sessions. Obviously not building any muscle on a calorie deficit but I like keeping the strength and conditioning there!
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Cardio is different from strength training. Every day you take off decreases VO2 max, and your muscles don't need days off for cardio because you're not pushing max weight with them to break them down.

If you don't ever care about being fit then continue doing cardio 3x a week.

Also you can do cardio first if weight training takes too much out of you.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    FWIW: Over 7 years in the military, plus 4 more as a cadet, I've never had a problem doing cardio and calisthenics / resistance training in the same day, often in the same workout. So it's definitely possible to view it as a "Strength training PLUS Cardio" situation. You will still need to give your body chances to recover, but you'd have to do that in an either / or scenario, anyway.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    here are numerous ways to skin a cat.

My cats, who are in my profile picture, gawked when they read that remark.. :bigsmile:

Seriously, I do weight lifting M/W/F and end with a good run, and then do cardio on the other four days of the week.

I think you simply have to think about your goals and do what works for you.