"Clean Eating"

Options
Give me your definition of "clean eating." Since there is sodium in pretty much anything we eat, how does one define what's clean? What would a "clean" day consist of. Starting with brekky, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and after dinner snack. I know berries are "clean" what else? Help a fat guy out.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I try to wash my fruits and veggies. I use clean utensils and wash my hands. That's about it.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I try to wash my fruits and veggies. I use clean utensils and wash my hands. That's about it.

This. I also always take a shower before eating, so that not only is my food clean but I don't contaminate it, so I eat extra clean
  • daveymac1
    daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    This. I also always take a shower before eating, so that not only is my food clean but I don't contaminate it, so I eat extra clean
    [/quote]

I was gonna say something back, but with an *kitten* like that, and being Canadian, I can't. But also a Habs fan, so I am very conflicted at what I wanna say! :wink:
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    If you look down on your plate of food, and it does not resemble its animal or plant origin, and it contains ingredients with sophisticated man made chemical compounds, then for me it is not "clean". I personally don't consider salt from natural sources non clean, as it has been used for more than a millennia by humans (in fact, the word "salary" comes from where ancient roman soldiers were paid with salt). I know many people who had removed salt from their diet, thinking they were doing themselves good, got too low of a blood pressure and was advised by their doctors to put it back in. Perhaps salt in your food is a good discussion to have with your doctor, from what I have seen, not good for some, while vital to others.

So, I think that is what clean eating is, as close to as what nature produced the food product to be, without overly processing it and without addition of sophisticated chemicals. I guess two people can get into a great debate about the word "processing" - does that mean when you purée a vegetable, it is no longer "clean" because it no longer looks like its original shape? I wouldn't get too worked up about this really.

My two cents.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

I would like to add the five second rule to this list. Course, in the context of solid food.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

I would like to add the five second rule to this list. Course, in the context of solid food.

True! Forgot about that one :embarassed:

@daveymac1, Go habs go :drinker:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh the whole clean debate. While I like the idea of eating clean, I find it pretty much impossible to do because of my battle with time. I'd love to have all the time in the world to cook my meals from scratch, but I don't. But clean to me is the items around the perimeter of the grocery store - fruits, veggies, lean meats (like a steak vs a hot dog). Clean (to me) would not be a packaged frozen meal, deli meat, most items in a box or package. I tend to follow Tosca Reno's clean eating rules. But you'll get a million definitions of clean from folks, and a million opinions if it is right or not.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Eating soap. :sick:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What, this thread again?
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Give me your definition of "clean eating." Since there is sodium in pretty much anything we eat, how does one define what's clean? What would a "clean" day consist of. Starting with brekky, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and after dinner snack. I know berries are "clean" what else? Help a fat guy out.

There was an article posted on yahoo yesterday that discussed clean eating. Not a bad article.
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think there are a multitude of ways to define "clean" eating. Mine is eating foods that either came from the ground or had parents, with as little pesticides, hormones, preservatives possible.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    So when I put salt on my french fries that makes them dirty?