Basic Strength Training Routine Needed

Options
I have been working at dropping weight and focusing on cardio workouts. Due to some surgery, I have postponed doing some strength training. The gym I go to is loaded with machines and free-weights. I am looking for a basic strength building routine to balance my cardio workouts.

I don't want to do a lot of reading and research at this time but want something I can pick up and start using right away. Then I will modify/adjust it over time in the future. I am hoping for something that might include 8-12 strength training exercises and a schedule for the week I can integrate with my cardio. Probably prefer using the machines over free weights.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Replies

• Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you can get past the intimidation factor of using free weights, I recommend Strong Lifts 5X5. Very very basic. Good work out. You can do it two or three times a week. Google it... it's easy to learn... and not much reading involved.

Also, stage 1 of New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women is good. I think the other stages are too much. But, alas, New Rules has quite a bit of reading involved.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    The best strength programs out there for beginners are based on the 4 fundamental compound (multi-joint) movements: bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press. The most basic, and well establish programs I know of for these are Stronglifts 5x5 (free online 5x5 routine, good videos to show form) and Starting Srength (book with tons of detail). To hell with machines, read up on their history and purpose, it's bs. They're best left for people with injuries or seniors.

Now, these programs have no isolation work, and you'll just have to accept that if you're going to take lifting seriously. You can do your isolation work later once you've got the main movements down and you've had some time to read about lifting and HOW to USE isolation work to your advantage (there's a reason why serious lifters call it "assistance work"). And don't worry, even without isolation work, you'll be hitting everything with these programs and getting big, as well as strong.

If you do this, you will be off to a great start. If you don't, you'll be like most guys who get in the gym and just **** around wasting time with their newbie bodybuilding routines that don't get them anywhere.

Let us know how it goes!
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    If you can get past the intimidation factor of using free weights, I recommend Strong Lifts 5X5. Very very basic. Good work out. You can do it two or three times a week. Google it... it's easy to learn... and not much reading involved.

Also, stage 1 of New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women is good. I think the other stages are too much. But, alas, New Rules has quite a bit of reading involved.

OP is male, but the original "New Rules of Lifting" is a good book too. OP said he doesn't want to read much right now, so I totally agree that Stronglifts 5x5 would be best to get him started. Simple, fundamental routine with videos for instruction. Just remember to start light... it'll get heavy soon enough I promise.

Also OP, about the 8-12 exercise thing; it's not how much you do, but WHAT and WHY you're doing it.

Feel free to ask any questions you like here, but SL5x5 is the best place to start.
  • gman94568
    gman94568 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great responses. I will have to take a look at the Stronglifts 5X5 program. I am looking for something I can adopt rapidly and get started on something as I learn and develop. I am looking for something for general health and it sounds like this is a good start.

I see so many people looking for the perfect workout and plan before getting started. So I don't mind more reading and information, I just need to get something going sooner than later. Your comments are appreciated.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    OP is male.

Opps. Sorry OP!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    um... machines are not necessarily for seniors. I am 61 - I am doing Wendler 5/3/1 - already finished New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • mcouey84
    mcouey84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    How about this:

Day 1: Dumbbell curls - 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps
    Dumbbell kickbacks - 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps
    Seated Rows (wide grip) - 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps
    Machine triceps' extension (2 handed) - 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps
    Cardio & Abs
    (use light to moderate weight on the above exercises - be sure that the 10th rep is a challenge!)

Day 2: 3 supersets of the following:
    Start with 10-20 push-ups
    Immediately after push-ups-->bench or machine flys - 10-12 reps
    Then...
    Barbell or machine shrugs - 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps
    3 supersets of the following:
    Start with lateral dumbell raises - 10-12 reps
    Immdediately after -->front dumbell raises - 10-12 reps
    Cardio & Abs
    (use light to moderate weight on the above exercises - be sure that the 10th rep is a challenge!)

Day 3: rest

Day 4: repeat Day 1

Day 5: repeat Day 2

Day 6: rest

Day 7: repeat Day 1

...so on and so forth

I would try something like this for 4-6 weeks. You'll gradually become aware of your limitations and when the routine gets boring, change it up! The whole goal is to tear your muscles so they'll rebuild stronger! You don't have to lift heavy, just keep the intensity turned up and stay moving!

Good luck!
  • mcouey84
    mcouey84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...and I always put cardio after weights. Since your HR will already be elevated from lifting, you're more likely to burn calories at a faster rate! I like Abs towards the end so I can lay down :)
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    um... machines are not necessarily for seniors. I am 61 - I am doing Wendler 5/3/1 - already finished New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Oh I didn't mean exclusively, just for those that need it. I wouldn't have my grandfather starting deadlifts at 80... I mean maybe he could but **** I don't think that would be good for him.

Also, are you using machines for 5/3/1? If not, how do you like it? Great program right?

By the way OP, 5/3/1 is a great program as well (it's the one I use and swear by), but it's for intermediate lifters who have already maxed out on beginner routines like SL 5x5.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Oh I didn't mean exclusively, just for those that need it. I wouldn't have my grandfather starting deadlifts at 80... I mean maybe he could but **** I don't think that would be good for him.

Also, are you using machines for 5/3/1? If not, how do you like it? Great program right?

By the way OP, 5/3/1 is a great program as well (it's the one I use and swear by), but it's for intermediate lifters who have already maxed out on beginner routines like SL 5x5.

I LOVE 5/3/1 I never did SL, I only went through New Rules and wanted a straightforward program with immediate results. I don't move up as fast as the program lets me, I make sure I can keep my form spot on for the 5 lifts before I add weight. It's a great program oh and no I'm not using machines, except inverted leg press and lat machine occassionally. DBs and BB
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    When do you think it is good to switch to 5/3/1? I stalled on 5x5, switched to 3x5, then to ALL Pro beginners routine. I have stalled out there now, have been on maintinence for several months after losing 75 pounds. Took a week off this week just to recharge, considering whether to continue allpro, or go back to 5x5 vs starting 5/3/1.
    Mike
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    ^ How long have you been lifting?
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    When do you think it is good to switch to 5/3/1? I stalled on 5x5, switched to 3x5, then to ALL Pro beginners routine. I have stalled out there now, have been on maintinence for several months after losing 75 pounds. Took a week off this week just to recharge, considering whether to continue allpro, or go back to 5x5 vs starting 5/3/1.
    Mike

Oh dude, by all means get going with 5/3/1. Have you read the book? Hit me and some of the guys up on the 5/3/1 Support Thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1056132-5-3-1-support-thread

Powerlifters Group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/507-powerlifters