Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I've read about people logging their p90x workouts with a heart rate monitor....anyone have any suggestions on a good one? Also, if you know of a good pedometer brand, I'd be interested in that too. I bought a pedometer once that I thought would be pretty good, and it was WAY off, so I'm sketchy about buying something like this again without hearing from others what is actually reliable! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JeanBeanM
    JeanBeanM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had this discussion last week, here's a link to my post. Hope it helps

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/129690-what-heart-rate-monitor-do-you-recommend
  • Ninjawarrior
    Ninjawarrior Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what p90X workouts are; but a good HR monitor -- one that will set different HR zones as well as allow you to customize a zone, tracks calories, average, max and min HR is the Timex Ironman HR monitor. I'd check them all out and see which one is the best --- some have lots more info than maybe you want - depends on how geeky you want to go with your stats!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT-7.
  • FavDaughter1
    Options
    I have a Polar FT too - love it! My gym gave it to me when I signed up for Personal Training, but I think they're around $150.00. Totally worth it, as I know when I am in the my target HR zone.
  • kuntrygurl
    Options
    Polar F6 with chest and wrist strap = :heart:
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    I've heard Polar is great!! And model wise, I've seen rave reviews on FT4, F6, FT7.

I've been watching for some good deals on ebay and amazon for them. :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Polar are the best, but if you're like me and they're not in your budget...go to amazon.com and see what they have...sears also has a sale on right now...make sure it's a HRM and a calorie counter, i've noticed the cheaper ones are just beats per minute not calories too...i just ordered one from amazon.ca, it should be here in a week
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT-7.

this
  • CHeMoTaCTiC
    CHeMoTaCTiC Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Adidas miCoach Pacer: $140 give you pedometer and heartrate monitor that sync's to device that can give you active coaching in your ear while you run, jog, whatever. It helped me lose 25 pounds in 3 months! And my resting heart rate dropped by 20bpm.
  • ambercole
    Options
    Polar F6 with chest and wrist strap = :heart:

DITTO!!! :love:
  • hopeandj
    hopeandj Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7, super easy to setup and use! I bought mine off ebay for $75
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 with GPS. I also use RunKeeper on my Andriod. For good prices on HRM check out Overstock.com.

The key things to look for in a HRM are:
    A chest strap for continous monitoring of your HR
    One you enter in your stats.
    If you work out with others around, make sure it is coded or you will get mix signals.

Good Luck.
  • MabikBhai2009
    Options
    Yes they do measure calories burned. I have a Polar F6 and it does just that. I would like to know how this is calculated as well.
  • FairyGodMother
    FairyGodMother Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    www.polar.fi

Polar HRMs are the originators of the heart rate monitor and the best. They are constantly doing research in their labs in Finland with cardiologists, athletes and scientists to improve their products. Many cardio machines are coded to specifically work with a Polar monitor due to agreements that Polar made years ago to work in conjunction with the cardio machine manufacturers so you can see your heart rate on the read out on the machine not just the watch!

Great product and it's easy to use. Great Motivator!
  • bandchick
    Options
    If you want a good HRM then I would good with a Polar F6 or higher. They can be a little pricey but it is worth it. You can probably find them cheaper on Ebay.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Team Polar right here! I got mine on Amazon for about $90. I believe it was the FT 7. It came with a strap and is very easy to use.
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just ordered my Polar FT7 from Amazon for $89.99, and it was eligible for free shipping -- so excited for it to get here, it had great reviews. For anyone who's looking to buy an HRM, I found that Amazon had the best deals by far! :)