Sometimes I wish...

Options
That someone could come to my house and be my personal healthy chef. I am no good at cooking this healthy food, and don't even know what half the ingredients are in most of them :( Why is it the worst foods for us are the easiest to purchase and cook? I try every paycheck to sit down and write down healthy recipes to get the ingredients at the store and then get home missing half the things I need because I could not find them at the store. I wish being healthy was easier :( Sooo who wants to come be my personal chef? :)

Replies

• RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    That would be my dream job.
  • zackhanmom
    Options
    I totally understand this.If I ever win the lottery, a personal chef/grocery shopper would be at the top of my list. I end up eating the same things day after day because it's easy, then tend to burn out quickly, giving up the diet for the quick, really easy, gooey, greasy stuff! Hello chicken and cheese quesadillas and tortilla chips! Oh, I better stop- I'm making myself hungry. Just don't give up!
  • stacyzitterich
    Options
    I KNOW it is SOO hard to eat healthy...i have been over weight for over 12 yrs...and recently found this website!! LOVE IT! I just use my common sense most of the time..i still eat stuff i LOVE ..but just not as much as i used too. Fruits are great..and i have cut down on my sugars....i use a sugar sub for my cereals...and coffee ect. As far as the recipes...maybe try some diffrent ones...simpler ones maybe....I started my "diet" at the beginning of August and have lost 20 pounds so far.....Losing weight is the HARDEST thing i have EVER done....i have never worked out on a daily basis.....now i walk for 15-30 min almost every day...it REALY sucks..but i push myself.....so if i were you....stick to the basics for now....its hard i kno...i LOVE to eat...so it has been a lifestyle change for me...but you CAN do it! BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!
  • HidyleDidyle
    Options
    Some good cookbooks (low fat) which generally use things that are easy to find in any grocery store are: Crazy Plates, Looney Spoons, Eat Shrink and Be Merry (all three by Greta & Janet Poteleski (sorry, I might be off a bit on the last name). My favourite is Crazy Plates (their second book).

Some of the recipes are a little picky...but there are some really easy, yummy ones too. I often make a big batch of something and then freeze it into portion sizes (my kids and husband don't usually like to eat what I like eating, so this works).

Good luck!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    My wife and I both cook for each other. That's the secret of our success, so far.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I think you actually hit the nail on the head with the statement that you come home missing half your ingredients because the store didn't have them.

There aren't that many grocery options in my town. Everything is either a novelty store or chain like Whole Foods or Target. Until I win the lottery then, or have all day to go to a ton of different places, I have to shop at Target. I was super-excited to find that they actually had individual shallots for sale! Normally their fruits and veg are very limited and they have very few things that constitute ingredients.

Funny enough, we spent forever at the check-out because NO ONE (not even the managers) knew what the shallots were or what the code was for them. This is seriously how often you can see they sell something that (to me, at least) isn't a really exotic vegetable.

Very few people cook these days. Many more people just defrost. So many people I know - grown adults! - say "I can't cook!" And what they seriously mean, is they can't chop some veg and throw it in a crockpot with a chicken and some liquid!

So, for me that is a challenge as well, and a real hinderance to a lot of people - stores don't stock healthy ingredients because people don't cook.
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I go online and look for healhy recipes. I've been making many caseroles lately and I'm always able to find all the ingredients that I need. I try to cook everything I need for the week on Sundays and what I make is not only easy but tasty. Just some research and I'm sure you'll find something great like I did. I'm sorry I'd give you the links but they are all on my home computer :/
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are trying to cook recipes that are too complicated? Try looking for dishes that have about 8 ingredients or less, and then try to find some commonality between the recipes for the week so that you can buy say two kinds of meat, or one kind of pasta, etc. It really helps to do this.

And remember, you can always make a dish taste more complex than it is by spicing it up with some spices, etc..so that is where I choose to spend my money, rather than on more expensive things like shallots (aka mild onion flavor) and escarole, etc.