frustrated..

Options
My name is Erika, I am 24. In the last year I gained 20-25 lbs. I started a routine of walking my dog on a brisk walk 1-2 miles per day. I hula hoop with a water weighted hula hoop for 30 minutes, I do 50 jumping jacks, 50+ crunches and I alternate what kind of crunches, I do 15 standard push ups, I do 20 squats, one minute wall sits, mountain climbers.. and more. I keep increasing with each thing as my endurance increases. I also am renovating a home, and doing lots of house work. I don't sit around much. I eat home made meals every day and I add lots of veggies and cut out bad things like butter and other fattening junk. I only drink water and the occasional juice. I have not lost a single pound or toned up. I have been at this for months. I have never had a weight issue.. and I suddenly put a bunch on at once. They ruled out health problems and I have ruled out my diet being the issue. My doctor even agreed that my eating habits are excellent. I can't seem to gain muscle or lose weight.. any thoughts? I will start running again when I can setup my treadmill but I replaced running with brisk walks due to my dislike for running on concrete.

Replies

• cmstirp
    cmstirp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your calories? You can have the healthiest diet in the world, but if you're eating too much of the healthy stuff you'll still be unable to lose weight.
  • jennylee1219
    Options
    have you had your thyroid checked? I was having similar issues and turns out that was the problem. doesnt hurt to look into it. good luck to you! keep at it
  • climaticaxe
    Options
    Hi Erika, you mentioned that all health issues are ruled out but have you got yourself checked for thyroid function? Hypothyroidism can lead to reduced metabolism and sudden weight gain. Also, the key to weight loss is making sure you work out at a cardio heart rate and for at least 30- 40 minutes 4-5 days a week. Does your complete work out let you be at this heart rate for the entire duration? Finally, do you do all of this in every session or do you do all of this in multiple sessions? Also it does make sense to check portion sizes as "cmstrip" suggests. Finally, what about the type of meat you eat- how much red vs white do you eat? Consider switching to lean meat as part of lifestyle change versus eating beef and other red meats.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can eat all the healthy foods and still eat too much of them.

Tracking your calories so that you can be sure you are in a deficit will give you great results, guaranteed. And buy a scale - well worth the small start-up investment when it comes to tracking food intake.

BTW, butter is NOT fattening junk! It's one of the good fats. Just don't eat too much of it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Hi Erika, you mentioned that all health issues are ruled out but have you got yourself checked for thyroid function? Hypothyroidism can lead to reduced metabolism and sudden weight gain. Also, the key to weight loss is making sure you work out at a cardio heart rate and for at least 30- 40 minutes 4-5 days a week. Does your complete work out let you be at this heart rate for the entire duration? Finally, do you do all of this in every session or do you do all of this in multiple sessions? Also it does make sense to check portion sizes as "cmstrip" suggests. Finally, what about the type of meat you eat- how much red vs white do you eat? Consider switching to lean meat as part of lifestyle change versus eating beef and other red meats.

The key to weight loss is a calorie deficit. Period.