im 350 which way to go if you did it how?

Options
Hi guys and gals

Im 350lbs 28 6 foot even what are the things i should do to get down to 270 for starters my tdee is 2128 im going to stick to that would 50 minutes walking a day help me to my goals on top of the calorie cut i also plan to do p90 and power shed videos

Replies

• kpwilliams73089
    kpwilliams73089 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started out on my weight loss journey at 397. I am 6'2". The first thing I did was get off of soda pop. I drank 3-4 20oz DP's/day. I really started shedding off the pounds. Then I got into exercise and portion control on my meals. I am down to 270 today and only have @ 50 lbs to go and I think I will be at a healthy weight. Good luck with your journey !!

BTW...you really want to be careful with the p90, etc. There's a lot of people who do too much, too quick and injure themselves pretty bad.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Where did you get a TDEE that low? That seems really....really low.

According to your Height, Weight, age, you wouldn't need to really cut anything from your diet (I wouldn't advise that anyway....moderation). Your TDEE -20% is 3200 calories, so you could lose a fair amount of weight at 3200 calories per day and light exercise.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    start it slow with cutting out sugars (pop) junk food, fast food and alcohol (if you drink at all).

You'll see quite the loss from those things alone. As for exercise, do what is comfortable to start with. Walking, jogging, whatever it is. I started off REALLY slow with my exercise level and worked my way up as to not stress my body out too much. I started with walking on the treadmill and doing "games" and exercises on the wii.

Now i'm doing beachbody programs such as turbofire, les mills combat and p90x.

listen to your body first and foremost and just keep moving.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Enter your data into MFP for height weight et. And your weight loss goal per week.

Log EVERYTHING, as accurately as you can. Get a food scale, learn what portions actually are.

Don't set the bar too high, aim exactly at what MFP says

Exercise moderately, walking would be great.

Good luck
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I would start first by making minor changes here and there so you don't get overwhelmed. So if you are addicted to soda I definitely wouldn't cut it cold turkey (you didn't say this but just an example). Maybe reduce it by one or two sodas a day, etc.

Watch what you eat, LOG it, and pay attention. make changes as you go.

I'm 5'10" female and was 289 when I started. I couldn't run for more than 30 seconds. I'm in great shape now and can do really intense workouts pretty well. I started out walking - many of the heavier people on here did. I probably walked and stuck to low impact for at least 30-40 pounds.

Even if you feel like you can do high impact right now it will take a toll on your knees and ankles! Just keep that in mind :)
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I didn't start out at 350 but I imagine I tipped the scale at over 300, if I bothered to weigh myself. Honestly I quit looking at it. I finally mustered up the courage after losing weight for a couple of months and was at 286. I now weigh 182. I'm 59 years old so you have youth on your side, even though you are starting out a little heavier than I did.

This is what worked for me. I started out walking, just like you. I live in hill country so some of my walks, though they were only 20-30 minutes long, were really taxing due to the hills. My first goal was to complete, not to get fast. I wanted to build endurance first before progressing onto anything else. When I could walk for an hour, I then started to increase my pace. I've never been a fast walker so fast for me might be very slow for someone else...but it was working. When the weather would permit it I would mix in a casual bike ride, rails-to-trails around here. Nothing strenuous, just to break up the routine and keep things fresh.

I really didn't lift or otherwise engage in any strength training at that time. I decided one step at a time which meant cardio for me and eating healthy. Once my hour long walks became rather routine, I decided to pick it up a bit. I would pick out one or two telephone poles and jog between them, return to a walk for a while and repeat the process when I felt ready. I also concluded my walk/jog with a last telephone pole 'sprint', meaning I would press it a little at the end to get my heart rate up and 'feel the burn' a little. Again, nothing too strenuous. I shed my first 40-50 pounds by this time.

I wanted to keep going and that meant establishing goals for myself. Settled in a completing a 5K. Found the Couch to 5k program and started it. My weight and my old knees really complained about that plan once the continuous run got up to about 15-20 minutes. I discovered Jeff Galloway's walk/run method (google it) and that got me through the build up of mileage necessary to run the 5K. I ran the 5K continuously but I paid for it in knee pain for a week after. Down about 70 pounds by then.

Once I rested, I kept with the walk/run program and started to include strength training. Obstacle course runs (mud runs) now became a goal. Plenty of strength training programs out there, I mixed and matched to keep things fresh. I ran 3 mud runs this year, including the 6 mile Savage Race. Down about 85 lbs at that point.

Because I kept building mileage using the run/walk method, I elected to try a half marathon while training for the mud runs. Ran it in the summer and really didn't have a problem with it. Set my sights on a full marathon. Just completed it (Philly Marathon on Nov 17th). It kicked my *kitten* but I had fun. Down almost 105 lbs now!

You'll find probably as many proponents for lifting as a means to losing weight as you will for cardio. It will work. I'm including lifting with cardio now because of some other goals I currently have. FOR ME, however, cardio (running, biking, swimming) works best to drop the pounds. Any exercise program must be accompanied by healthy eating, mind you. Send me a FR if you like, I'll be happy to provide support.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    90% of your weight loss will come from your diet. Be very careful with your food intake and start walking. As the weight comes off you'll be able to take on new exercises. Don't try to jump into something hardcore right off the bat, you'll most likely just get injured and then give up. You didn't gain the weight in a couple weeks and it won't come back off that quickly so take the time to do it right and make it sustainable.
  • geminigrey
    geminigrey Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started out close to where you're at and the biggest advice I would give is to be patient and never give up. Even if you have an off day, don't use it as an excuse to fall into bad habits. Don't overexert yourself with exercise, I'd recommend starting with walking and building up to more and more. My best friend for cardio is the elliptical machines, since they're low impact. As your diet and exercise become more routine, it'll be easier to stick with them, but it can be really hard especially starting out.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to not overwhelm yourself. It's all about baby steps. I would probably start by getting a plan on mfp. I might even start just at maintenance for a month or so. Get used to logging and measuring. You can still have soda, but it has to fit into whatever your calorie allotment may be, so you will have to cut back if you want to still eat too. Be honest- while it helps to have your diary public, if you find yourself fibbing then just close it and do your thing. But always log.

I think walking is a great start, and it doesn't have to be 50 minutes- if you have only 20 it's better than nothing. I think P90x is very likely too much at this point. Remember that this is roughly 70% diet and while you want to challenge yourself, I think eating right is enough of a challenge for now. You don't want to get discouraged and hurt.

Once you've got that down, up the amount to lose per week and start doing more challenging workouts. Maybe a c25k type of program or something like ripped in 30 (I recommend that over P90x because it's shorter, cheaper, and while definitely challenging it has a lot of modifiers that make it more accessible).

Take pictures of yourself now. You will love having them to back to look at after you lose the weight (or during when you're feeling discouraged)!

Be patient, make fitness a priority, and take baby steps. That's my main advice.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Control your calories and start with walking. I was 333 to start and all I did for the first 3 months was walk. It's a great start and you will find after a few weeks obvious improvements in your fitness. Then you can consider any other exercise you wish to add. Whatever you pick you need to enjoy it other wise you wont stick to it.