Nutritionists take on this?

Options
Any nutritionists out there wanna weigh in on this? I went to a wellness center (on the army post I live on) and had a metabolic work up done. They hooked me up to a fancy machine that measured my body fat percentage with electrodes or something like that and had me breathe into a Bane-looking mask for 20 min or so. They also took a very detailed history of my eating and fitness habits. When they gave me my results they insisted that I eat 2300 calories a day to LOSE weight; no more, no less.

Even though I thought that was absolute INSANITY, they were the experts, I went to them for a reason and I gave it a go. I had trouble eating 1800 calories in a day, so bumping up to 2300 was very difficult. The closest I got was 2000 and that was on my birthday which included cake, candy, and far too much beer. I certainly don't eat like THAT every day. I'm going back to 1800 calories a day. It seems more reasonable, and will be a lot less stress than trying to shove 2300 calories worth of healthy foods down my throat because "I'm supposed to"

Thoughts?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Weight lose should be monitored over a set period, generally 4 to 6 weeks, then adjusted and certainly isn't as simple as you must eat this much, no more no less...........that doesn't sound like a professional appraisal imo. As far as the 2300 is concerned, we would need to see how active you are and what number they set for your your BMR. Personally I normally find an deficit that isn't too high for just a linear approach and then see how it goes and makes adjustments.
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you are losing regularly on 1800 and are comfortable with the amount of food that that allowance provides, why change things? You'll lose quicker the way you are doing it anyway. As long as you eat healthily and don't fill up on junk, sounds like you're doing just fine.....

Nice to know that you can have an occasional splurge without it having too much of a detrimental effect.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You got a pretty extensive test with a generally good accuracy rate. I've only had the CO2 measure once for class and got a similarly high number. I'd go with their numbers. If you want to go lower then reduce your exercise.

if you were saying 2000 id say meh let it go but youre still talking about a 500kcal deficit. Let's think creatively a simple way to boost up calories is to simple add more oil or fat to your diet. Full fat dairy cheese!! Has eating and putting on weight always been a problem for you? Nuts, avacodos, nut butters, oil or mayo based salad dressings. More desserts, glass of wine a night, more chocolate, LOL!

You've got this you paid a lot of money not to at least give it a try.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    The calories are based on numbers provided from your metabolic test and information you gave about activity you do. If you have a lot of weight to lose, it's probably not far off. Don't discount it. If you're real fearful, then eat 2050 calories (between 1800 and 2300).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Remember the difference between gross and net Calorie intake. MFP calculates net, by subtracting exercise. The figures you were given at the wellness center were gross and include extra Calories for exercise already (assuming you included your exercise in the lifestyle information you gave them).

If you are following the wellness center guidance, you should not log any exercise. If you eat 2,300 net, you'd be double eating your exercise.
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Has eating and putting on weight always been a problem for you? Nuts, avacodos, nut butters, oil or mayo based salad dressings. More desserts, glass of wine a night, more chocolate, LOL!

You've got this you paid a lot of money not to at least give it a try.

The opposite in fact. Gaining weight is SO easy if I stop working out. it's the losing that's so difficult. I tried eating more calorie dense foods, but then my fat intake goes through the roof. But you're right; maybe I should give it another go before throwing in the towel. I do have a lot to lose, and I work out 5-6 days a week to include cardio and weight lifting.

The problem then becomes how do I eat more when I'm not hungry? Better snacks or bigger snacks?
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Remember the difference between gross and net Calorie intake. MFP calculates net, by subtracting exercise. The figures you were given at the wellness center were gross and include extra Calories for exercise already (assuming you included your exercise in the lifestyle information you gave them).

If you are following the wellness center guidance, you should not log any exercise. If you eat 2,300 net, you'd be double eating your exercise.

You're right, and they explained this... I just find it so motivating to see on the MFP charts the calories I've burned through working out. I did log them, but I did't consume what I "earned"