What benefits have you seen from your weight loss

Options
Just out of curiosity, what kind of benefits have people found came along with their weight loss?

I’m maybe half way to my goal and I think my energy level is already a bit better. I’m hoping to see my blood sugar which a was on the high side of normal and my cholesterol drop. I’m also interested to see if it will improve free testosterone levels.

Replies

• rosemary98
    Options
    I am basically muffin top free! (but still get bloated during my TOM).
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    no knee pain
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    the attention. :wink:
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    All my numbers that were treding up have gone down.. Have a resting heart rate in the 50s now and people
    always ask me if I lift weights, which I do not.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    No more BP meds! And getting to get all the old clothes out of the back of my closet (well they are now getting too big, but oh well :wink: )
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    more energy and more stamina - dont' get out of breath walking up hill or upstairs (though not sure if that's the weight loss or exercise or both).

waiting to see differences in numbers on my cholestrol
  • asianmonkie
    Options
    scoliosis free
    asthma free
    almost stress free
    happier in general
    better fitting clothes
    saving money by spending more time working out and less time eating and shopping
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Fit into airplane seats comfortably.

Resting pulse rate in the 50's.

Clothes fit better. Fitting into clothes that I haven't worn in 20 years - good thiing they're back in fashion :smile:

Men open doors for me - no longer invisible.

Stairs are no issue (multiple flights at a time).
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Smaller clothes

Firmer *kitten*

Abs-kinda

My muscles
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Normal blood pressure again (at 110/60 now, down from 170/90 before) -- no more pills!
    Fasting glucose level of 73 or less (down from pre-diabetic high of 120).
    Much less knee and hip joint aches and pain.
    No more pounding morning headaches, no more pain relievers for relief.
    More energy and stamina, more "bounce" in my step!
    Fitting into an airline seat with room to spare!!
    Clear skin again, no more chronic facial or arm rashes (may be due more to better nutrition and exercise, though).
    Fitting clothes off the rack again, normal size stuff, more clothes selections and styles.
    Just a happier, more confident, more comfortable me all around!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss journey, I was almost purely focused on the physical benefits. "I can't wait to be thinner", "I can't wait to buy smaller jeans", etc. Now that I've made it through my journey and am now maintaining, I realize everything I think about, and what I see in the mirror is nothing physical at all. I am happy! Something that I didn't think I was lacking when I was larger. In fact I truly thought I was happy. My happiness is the best benefit of all. And I don't think the happiness is due to having a "smaller" body. It is because I finally love myself. I put hard work and dedication into being the best version of myself everyday. With me being happier, my relationships with everyone in my life have blossomed so much. My fiance and I have never been happier. I have come out of my shell and allow myself to try new things, or to meet new people. Rather than the old, shy me being too nervous to meet anyone new. Thinking all the saw was my weight.

And yes, like you, I have noticed a dramatic change in my energy. I went from being a homebody to a person that is pretty much always on the go, dying to get out there and try new things!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I'm bigger.
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I hiked in the Alps! With a massive back pack filled with camping gear! Something I would not have physically been able to do before I decided to live healthier.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Health-wise, I have not had any abnormal bloodwork and my blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and other panels have all been normal (surprising even my doctor when I weighed ~300 lb).

However, at my heaviest (307 lb), I had occasional swelling in one or both ankles (eek) and shortness of breath when walking up stairs or going long distances. Those problems completely disappeared once I got back down to my "usual" weight range of 260-270.

Since going lower than my "usual" (currently at 208), I have seen the following benefits:

I've stopped having migraines. I've had 2 or 3 in the past 2 years. I used to have 2-3 per month and they were very debilitating.

The lower back pain I'd long accepted as "part of life" has gone away. It was never severe but for it to just VANISH is pretty awesome. In the past when I went bowling or lifted moving boxes or even stood for more than 3-4 hours at a time, I'd have to take over the counter meds to deal with the discomfort in my lower back. It is no more.

Although I still have menstrual cramps, and never really had a "heavy" TOM...my flow has become somewhat lighter, which is convenient.

I've gotten sick less. Have not had a single cold, or anything else like that, in over a year.

My personal favorite is not medically related...but I just fit into everywhere I go much better (office chairs, theater seats, bath tubs, booths, all are very comfortable and before would be awkward or snug at times)

One last note...I do not have more energy. I had TONS of energy at 307, 270, 240, and now. I think I'm just a very hyper, high-energy person and that hasn't changed at all.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Steroid induced type 2 diabetes reversed.
    Ulcerative colitis under control.
    Increased energy and stamina not carrying 95lbs of useless bulk around day and night.
    Able to wear trousers around waist instead of under stomach overhang, and normal size clothes that fit.
    Massive abdominal muscle damage and hernia's from surgery improving.
    Vo2Max up from 23 to 46 which would apparently be good for someone 25 years younger than me.
    No longer cringe when I see photo's of me.
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    all of the above and KNOWING that I am adding more years to my life versus taking away from them with each year that I WAS obese!

What a wonderful feeling!
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I don't get out of breath walking quickly or upstairs, my knees don't hurt and my back feels much better. I just generally feel healthier. It's taken a while to notice but now I'm over the 1 stone lost mark I can really feel the difference. I can't believe I managed to do anything at a higher weight!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I can bend over without losing breath.
    My period is 10x lighter.