New here

Options
Hi everyone. My name is Sam. Nice to meet you.

I used to be pretty active and healthy - I ran and played soccer, I avoided junk food like the plague. But in recent times, that's all fallen by the wayside. In most of my various jobs (a weird combo of aspiring writer/retail worker/pet sitter/YouTuber), I'm sitting 98% of the time (the other 2% I'm struggling to lift heavy things for the retail job). I've also forgone healthy food in lieu of chips and cookies and other unhealthy garbage.

As you can imagine, this has not been good for me - in lots of ways.

Then a friend of mine recommended this site to me; she said there were lots of good resources and helpful, supportive people to be found. So, here I am, hoping this site can help me change my ways and get better.

I look forward to getting healthier with you.

Replies

• ericola
    ericola Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Sam, im new too :happy:

So where u from and wha is your goal?
  • mcouey84
    mcouey84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello Sam! To start, I feel you on the retail thing...13 years through HS and college - I had my share and can truly empathize with you. If you don't mind me asking, what are your goals? I'll be happy to tell you that I'm very recently back on the wagon after two injuries and can't wait to be in shape again!
  • RealRandomSam
    Options
    I'm from rural Virginia.

I don't really have a a big weight loss goal; I'm maybe eight ish pounds over where I want to be. My goals are more being able to lift heavy items without it being a struggle, maybe even get back to running 5ks (my event from back in college that I miss so dearly), and eliminate junk food from my diet. In a nutshell, my goal is overall health and fitness.

Thank you for your words of support! I really appreciate it. :)

And best of luck to you as well.

mcouey: Wow...welcome back! I hope your injuries didn't through you too far off track.
  • mcouey84
    mcouey84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You know...we're all here for our own reasons and you'll find incredible diversity and gobs of inspirational stories to keep you motivated! What type of gainer are you? In my experience (and I'm sure there's science somewhere to back it up) that determines what kind of "loser" you'll be! Also, what kind of small, habitual changes can you commit to making today that you won't run back to tomorrow? Stuff like sodas, Mickey D's, etc....

This whole healthy lifestyle thing is supposed to be fun...I'll be happy to share some tricks to keep it that way!

...I fell off the wagon and when I got back on I had put on more than 40 pounds. Yes, I was injured - twice. But I had more than a few moments of weakness and made more than a few bad decisions that translated into gaining the weight. I used to comfort myself by saying "I'm young, I can lose it in no time."

Well Sam - I will lose it in no time, but the important thing to remember is there is no substitute for a healthy lifestyle. Give it a few days and you'll be looking at the junk food thinking "why the hell did I ever put that in my body?" You won't need to answer yourself...just throw it out!

Look forward to seeing your progress