Is 6000 calories of organic kale considered "junk food"?

Options
13»

Replies

• VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. How are you preparing it? I've read somewhere that if you eat it straight up and raw it's ok but if you add oil it becomes junk
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. How are you preparing it? I've read somewhere that if you eat it straight up and raw it's ok but if you add oil it becomes junk

duh! ...everybody knows that.

tumblr_m4t5nyO8wV1qk7fk7.gif
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options

duh! ...everybody knows that.

tumblr_m4t5nyO8wV1qk7fk7.gif

also, fries. then it's junk.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    just curious. if you ingested 6000 calories in 1 day. clearly this would cause you to gain weight, right? therefore it must be "junk food". also, by itself it's lacking many vital nutrients.

:huh:

INCORRECT! If you burn 6,000 calories a day (my son is a swimmer and has 3% bodyfat) you WOULD NOT gain weight. In fact its very possible he would LOSE weight off 6,000 calories so he has to eat more!

So umm! Oooooh I OWNED U!!

HAHAHAHAHAH!

p0wned.jpg
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that 6000 calories of anything would have consequences. My brilliant husband once ate an entire giant size package of carrots (about 400 calories), and was really proud of it...until the next day, and the day after, and the day after that. Apparently massive amounts of carrots make you constipated. I'm not sure he's eaten carrots since.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    Why would you subject yourself to such torture? Replace the Kale with bacon and you will be the happiest human alive.

Bacon-42.jpg

^^ Yup lol
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Anything that feeds your junk is junk food.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    "Junk food" doesn't mean high calorie, and it isn't junk food because you gain weight eating it. You can eat junk food and not gain weight if you stay under a certain calorie level. "Junk food" means not natural, processed foods full of chemicals and preservatives. So no, kale, even 6000 calories of kale, cannot be considered junk food.

The definition of "junk food" is as variable as the definition of "clean eating". There is no set standard.

Therefore, any food can be junk food, depending on who's definition you're using. To me, junk food is either food that I dislike, or food that won't help me reach my daily goals. Kale is always on the list. Guess why.
  • Too much is bad for your health, so yes, too much healthy food could even kill you. Even drinking too much water is UNhealthy. Have you heart of dilutional hyponatremia? It's fatal and it's caused by drinking too much water. Everything is junk when you exaggerate!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    just curious. if you ingested 6000 calories in 1 day. clearly this would cause you to gain weight, right? therefore it must be "junk food". also, by itself it's lacking many vital nutrients.

:huh:

INCORRECT! If you burn 6,000 calories a day (my son is a swimmer and has 3% bodyfat) you WOULD NOT gain weight. In fact its very possible he would LOSE weight off 6,000 calories so he has to eat more!

So umm! Oooooh I OWNED U!!
    Pics or it never happened. Its kind of easy to own people when you make stuff up.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    57086552-9128-4dfb-ae57-2764061541fb_zpsbfafbd63.jpg
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hmm, never heard anyone use calories to define "junk food" before. But, then I've also never heard anyone expect a food to be the single supplier of every nutrient needed in order not to be called "junk food".

One small piece of cake is a treat but cake every day is junk food. One serving of kale is vegetable but that much kale is junk food. Everything in moderation or it is junk food.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    SO MUCH POOP!
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Dear Troll,
    I'll bite.
    it would be physically impossible to eat 6000 calories of kale in one day.
    One cup of kale is 33 calories. (USDA)
    To reach 6,000 calories of kale would require, as an earlier poster pointed out, about 182 cups of kale.
    A pound of kale is approximately 8 cups.
    So, it would take about 22.75 lbs. of kale to produce 6,000 calories.
    Your stomach would burst, because its capacity is -- distended and full -- about 3 liters.
    You could not physically do it without copious amounts of vomiting and/or defacating. I have not googled to find out how quickly your body would process the kale, but I am sure it would come up before it goes out.
    Your stomach would burst and you would die of internal bleeding.
    But... knock yourself out and give it a try.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you could keep all that kale down without throwing up/ crapping your pants you deserve a medal.

This.