Plantar fascitis

Options
2»

Replies

• kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I had it for over a year, and finally beat it with the following. Took about 10 months (had continuous improvement during that time), but haven't had any issues for several years. I still follow #1 and #2, which I think is why I have been pain free for years.
    1. wear Birkenstocks whenever possible (or anything that has a ridge under your toes; it causes your toes to grip when walking). Wear them around the house instead of barefoot of slippers. I think this helps stretch the tendon;
    2. Ice 1x-2x a day, especially after working out (a bag of frozen peas under your arches is very comfy!);
    3. Stretch foot (point and flex) as many times a day as you think about it; make sure you stretch before getting out of bed.
    Not sure if there is any science behind any of these, but these are the suggestions that I found worked for me. Good luck!

I wear crocs with GREAT improvements. Some days I wear "cute" shoes - but too many days out of them and I am in agony. The toe thing may explain the benefit of the crocs! I also have some well worn, thick soled flip flops (old soft Nike type) that work well except for long time periods or walks. They are my "house" shoes. Might add in some birkie! I wear crocs RX. It was my miracle shoe. I have heel spurs that qualify for surgery but I avoided surgery thanks to crocs. :) I will wear them to the grave.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Spend the $ and go to a running store to have your feet measured & ur gait examined. You'll love urself & ur runs will become a thing of joy.

Where does this store exist? I've gone to stores in my area and nobody has a clue. With my small wide feet they just go "new balance" shoes - and those HURT my feet more than anything - some stabilizer bar in the outer foot. They don't measure anything - just want me to try on shoes - up a size down a size - order wides in that size if I pay for them. I need a name of a store chain that's more than sport fashion and I will find them. I travel on occasion - I will catch them on a trip if I can. That way I can FINALLY own a pair of trainers that aren't too tight or slipping on the heel or making my foot hurt for days (NewBalance). Even Rykas didn't work for me. Rubbed my toes in forefoot (maybe too narrow in their wide?)
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Spend the $ and go to a running store to have your feet measured & ur gait examined. You'll love urself & ur runs will become a thing of joy.

Where does this store exist? I've gone to stores in my area and nobody has a clue. With my small wide feet they just go "new balance" shoes - and those HURT my feet more than anything - some stabilizer bar in the outer foot. They don't measure anything - just want me to try on shoes - up a size down a size - order wides in that size if I pay for them. I need a name of a store chain that's more than sport fashion and I will find them. I travel on occasion - I will catch them on a trip if I can. That way I can FINALLY own a pair of trainers that aren't too tight or slipping on the heel or making my foot hurt for days (NewBalance). Even Rykas didn't work for me. Rubbed my toes in forefoot (maybe too narrow in their wide?)

forget running stores; go to a podiatrist, maybe one affiliated with a sports med clinic -- they *understand* foot mechanics. some of them sell running shoes (along with orthotics) or can tell you where to go
  • readyrubbies
    Options
    I too have had it.it started last year with expensive physical therapy also.when I have problems with it,i have to wear either an orthotic boot on that foot for months,a foot brace,also I have had to get some inserts made from the casting mold of my foot.they lace up and you put your socks over it and slip on your shoes,then wear them like that all day long.sometimes I sleep in them. keeping the foot elevated on some pillows when you are relaxing also helps a lot..also it was suggested to switch between heat and cold packs to give you some relief.but I believe plantar fasciitis is that thin tissue,that's suppose to be when that tissue is repeatedly tearing and being strained,it causes the condition.the plantar is located between the bottom of the foot and the skin.i hope this helps and I hope you feel better real soon :bigsmile: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • dabberD13
    Options

Check out Fleet Feet Sports - http://www.fleetfeetsports.com/locations - 33 states and DC!
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I am a massage therapist, and have had several clients with PF...I've had it too. What folks have said so far is good. I have heard of taking frozen or partially frozen water bottle and rolling your foot on it to provide pressure/stretching and also the icing part.

One thing I have learned is that, while the pain is in the bottom of the foot - a lot of times the problem leads to a spot up on the back of the calf. If the anatomy isn't familiar, look at a 'muscle chart' - the spot is on the soleus muscle, right where the two heads of the gastrocnemius come together (or go apart, depending on your perspective). It can be a very tricky spot to palpate by yourself (not impossible, but tricky) because the way you might have to contort to get to it leads you to tighten up rather than relax :noway: BUT - if you can have someone work on the spot for you while you lie face down, that can be a good thing.

It doesn't take crazy heavy pressure to work it out. It might need to be 'mashed' a little to find the sweet spot (very uncomfortable), but once found, medium to light finger pressure on the spot, in a counter-clockwise motion will begin to work it out. Use a little dot of Tiger Balm when rubbing...after do some calf raises/dips...it should be feeling better very soon.

If you have a massage therapist you like to or want to see, ask them how they would address PF - and if they don't do it this way, if they only address the bottom of the foot, ask them to try manipulating that spot. This can easily be worked on in a half session (if time or money are a factor and it's not realistic to have a full-body session), and depending on the severity and other factors at play, a couple of sessions should be all that's needed. YMMV! but that has been my experience in 11 years of practice. :wink:

^^THIS^^ I had PF about 4 years ago and after 10 months of severe pain and many doctor visits I visited a person who does Rolfing, which is a more complex form of message. I think what the lady did to me was similar to what this message therapist is describing. The first time she found that "sweet spot" I almost came unglued, it felt like a fireball under my skin, she messaged this fireball down my leg, she worked on my leg for about 45 minutes. When I left I was 80% better than when I came in!! It was AMAZING. I went back for 2 more treatments and have never had a problem since.

+2
  • MrsG1994
    MrsG1994 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys, Thanks so much!!! Now I am going to make a plan based on my experience & your great suggestions. I will keep you posted! Thanks again :)
  • MrsG1994
    Options
    :sad: So I have tried as much as I can to handle this myself: Icing it, using my specially-made orthotic, wearing my shoes from the running store after my gait was measured, stretching the crap out of it, doing the things the PT did to it originally...anyway, I am going to see my podiatrist on Tuesday to get a cortisone shot and/or a referral back to PT/massage. Ugh. I just need to move forward and I am not going to do that with this thing. I'll let you know how it went. I greatly appreciate all of your advice and words of wisdom.
  • MrsG1994
    Options
    Got the cortisone shot today. It already feels better. I have 2 bone spurs and swelling behind the ankle. My podiatrist thinks I have Achilles Tendinitis as well. He is a runner, though, and gave me so much hope. I have to stretch, wear my night splint, take antinflammatories, and get new running shoes. He says I have to make a lifestyle change to handle it. I can do that:)
  • MrsG1994
    Options
    Decided to give you guys an update. I exercise-walked after the cortisone shot and now my heel hurts again :( So I have decided to swim for exercise and joined my YMCA this past weekend. I am a life-long runner, so I really hope this is just a blip. But I need the aerobic exercise for the stress and my poor foot just keeps trying to read out the message it can't do it. I suspect it might be the weight; I have only been overweight off and on for the last five years of my life (I am forty). It has been so bad only when I've been overweight. I have 26 pounds left out of an original 65 to lose. I think I will finish it off with swimming, Pilates, and yoga. Let the foot heal all the way. Maybe a year until I run again. It will be okay. I feel like my body is telling me to adapt. Swimming is a great new path for me. I just finished my fourth workout in a week. I have done 20 minutes of varying strokes, just to keep going for the whole 20 minutes. I will gradually increase to perhaps an hour, probably every other day. We'll see. Good luck to all of you struggling with PF. We can deal with it; we have to adapt.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    I have had occasional bouts, which I always managed to get rid of within a month or so. Last time, I was given off the shelf arch supports, and prescribed caff stretches. The calf stretches involved placing the edge of the cutting board on a phonebook, and standing with your toes raised for five minutes at a time a couple of times a day, I set this up in front of the wash basin for when I brushed my teeth, etc.
  • MrsG1994
    Options
    I think the stretching is key for me, along with rest from running or walking for exercise. Then, when things get out of control, I need the shot (3 times in my life and I am 41). It is doing much better. I have laid off of it exercise-wise since Nov 12th and have been enjoying swimming! I have great shoes and orthotics as well as a night splint. Yesterday I got that ingrown toenail surgery on the same foot! I call it "the saddest little foot ever" to my boys. It will get better!
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My sister's doc told her to never walk around without shoes on or shoes with adequate support. Absolutely no flip flops and no bare-feet, even around the house.
  • MrsG1994
    Options
    I agree with your sister's doc. Thanks for mentioning that; it really helps! !!