Guilt about wasting food when eating out?

Options
Hi all. I started counting calories about a week ago and it's been great so far. I've found there's a surprising variety of food to choose from because, as others have said, I can technically eat anything if the portion is small enough.

However this requires me to sometimes not eat about half of the portion I receive when eating out. Calorie-wise this has allowed me to easily to achieve my calorie deficit but I've felt ridiculously guilty throwing away half a (non-greasy) souvlaki or leaving half of my noodles uneaten at a restaurant. It's not necessarily logical (I can't give them to starving children) but it's been ingrained in me since childhood "waste-not-want-not".

Does anyone else leave meals unfinished when eating out? If so do you feel any guilt about it? Or if a portion is too big should I just not get it (sadly this limits my outside-food choices substantially)? Cheers.

Replies

• justinluck
    justinluck Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If I can't finish what I ordered, then I always pack it to go and eat it later.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    To-go box?
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If I can't finish what I ordered, then I always pack it to go and eat it later.

This! I was also brought up to not waste food, and hell I can't afford to watch food I've paid for get thrown away either so if I were to eat out, I would either finish it, log honestly and do some more exercise / move onto the next day, or I would totally bring leftovers home for the following day!

It makes me cringe when I see other people throw food away as well! I have a whole freezer full of leftovers :laugh:
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this in a different way. We don't eat out much because we have small children, but I (and many, many mums) have a similar experience with throwing away the kids' leftovers - so much food, barely touched! And what makes it worse is that you have usually prepared it as well. The waste!

I never touch children's leftovers anymore, but my husband will often serve himself a smaller portion for dinner assuming that he is going to get children's leftovers!

The dog is also super well-fed!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I never feel guilty about thrown away food. Better it be in the trash, than on my butt!
  • GuyAwks
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I don't know why it didn't occur to me to simply have the leftovers for dinner or lunch the next day, I suppose I'm just used to thinking of leftovers as snacks in between meals rather than meals themselves- another thought pattern towards food I'll have to change as part of this journey.

If I'm out with friends for a busy day or it's a hectic lunch break during college classes taking home leftovers might be tricky but I'll try and do so whenever it's possible. :smile:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I don't know why it didn't occur to me to simply have the leftovers for dinner or lunch the next day, I suppose I'm just used to thinking of leftovers as snacks in between meals rather than meals themselves- another thought pattern towards food I'll have to change as part of this journey.

If I'm out with friends for a busy day or it's a hectic lunch break during college classes taking home leftovers might be tricky but I'll try and do so whenever it's possible. :)

there you go left overs are great you buy one meal and get 2-4 meals out of it! Not sure how you feel about this but you could always bring a little lunch box and pop the left overs in there with a freezer pack.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ask the server to bring you a to-go box when he brings the food. Split the dish and put half away before even starting to eat. Two meals for the price of one!
  • Annieway987
    Annieway987 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I often give my leftovers in a to go box to a homeless person. I set aside the "leftovers" before I start eating my portion. There are so many homeless in Los Angeles where I live that I almost always pass one on my way home, and they always seem happy to get it. Good Karma!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,724 Member
    Options
    I often give my leftovers in a to go box to a homeless person. I set aside the "leftovers" before I start eating my portion. There are so many homeless in Los Angeles where I live that I almost always pass one on my way home, and they always seem happy to get it. Good Karma!

I do this too. I also bring hostess gifts of chocolates and cookies to the homeless guy at the tube station. I am probably responsible for a lot of bad teeth.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Ask the server to bring you a to-go box when he brings the food. Split the dish and put half away before even starting to eat. Two meals for the price of one!

I do this regularly. It also helps me to not overeat. Out of sight out of mind, you know. If it's not practical for you to take a to go box, ask for a half-serving. I generally ask for half at the cafeteria when the dish includes rice or noodles. Else, I overindulge.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options

I do this too. I also bring hostess gifts of chocolates and cookies to the homeless guy at the tube station. I am probably responsible for a lot of bad teeth.

Great idea both of you. And I'm sure that the bad teeth are not just because of the goodies.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I live around montreal and there are quite a few homeless people around. If I eat out in town and I don't eat it all I take the rest to them. Really makes their day :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I think giving it to homeless people is a great idea. Unfortunately, (or fortunately?) there aren't a whole lot of them where I live. Nor do I eat out - ever. But it's something I will keep in mind!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I don't have any guilt about throwing away food. It's not like food is scarce where I live. My eating a calorie overage in order to not "waste" food doesn't help anyone else who doesn't have enough to eat. I think it's absurd to have guilt about food at all. It's food. :yawn:
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Re-read this quote 20 times then do it! This is a major help in calorie counting. I do it ALL the time. Also I read somewhere it's cruel but true I think Jillian Michaels said it: throwing away some of your supper when needed won't help a starving child why eat it and get fatter for no reason.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out, ever...
    ever..
    what a shame,
    I guess I am missing out.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Also taking home small things like even a few extra noodles can easily be thrown in the microwave with say done turkey or a can of tuna and a whole other meal can be made with even a tiny portion. If I pay for it I'm probably gonna be taking it home and using it later somehow.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you're in North America: ask for a to go box. If you're not North American and that's done in your country, do it. If it's not, bring your own to go box.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

If I'm out with friends for a busy day or it's a hectic lunch break during college classes taking home leftovers might be tricky but I'll try and do so whenever it's possible. :smile:
    Bring your own tupperware. Smart college students save food when possible.