NSV... (& First Post)

Options
I had have had several NSV's in the past, but I had to post today with my latest NSV, and my first actual "NEW TOPIC". A little history about myself. I am 41 years old, and have never been all that concerned about my health. I started MFP about 2.5 yrs ago, and was doing well for about 6 mos, but then several major personal issues came up and I jumped headfirst off the wagon. Then, last August I hit my highest weight again (238), but was in the absolute worst shape of my life. I thought I was okay, as I was still able to wear 38 waist pants, but I am sure the measurements at my navel were probably closer to 44". Several minor health issues and other discomforts due to my additional weight caused me to re-evaluate my lifestyle. I realized I could continue on the path I was on, and accept the discomforts, OR I could do something to change that. I chose "change".

From that point on, I set a goal for myself to go to exercise at least 4-6x/wk, and I have been fairly consistent with that goal since then. I have not focused on my weight as much, because of my travel. I travel a lot for work, and due to my love of new and exciting foods, I generally do not pick the healthiest items on the menu (probably more the opposite). So, over the course of the first 11 mos. I was able to lose about 35lbs. Then, I decided it was finally time to quit smoking, and afterwards, I watched my weight go up about 12lbs over the next 3 mos. I am working to get it back down, but since quitting smoking I am taking solace in the fact that I am lifting much heavier weights and constantly improving on my cardio workouts. It took me 15yrs to put on the extra 50lbs, so I look at my current weight loss as a marathon not a sprint. And, As long as I continually see an improvement in one area of my health, I feel I am making progress in the right direction. The weight will come off eventually.

Anyways, on to my NSV. I have ALWAYS hated running, but considered cardio a necessary evil. A few weeks back I decided I was tired of going to the gym for my cardio and using a machine, so I went for an actual jog outside. Over the last few weeks I have grown to enjoy these runs immensely, which is surprising, as I have always been loathe to run indoors or outdoors. In addition, I recently strained a couple of minor muscles prompting to take a couple of weeks off from the weightlifting portion of my routine, but I decided to still run on those days. I have continuously seen improvement in my pace, but the distance has been fairly consistent.

TODAY. I was able to run 5.05 miles at a 10:30min pace. This may not seem like much to some people, but to me I have NEVER run 5miles straight in my life, much less at a shade over 10mins per mile. Even, in my 20's I was lucky to run a 10min mile. Now at 41 with a bum knee.... I achieved in my opinion the biggest NSV I have ever had.

Thanks for making it this far, but I felt for once I had to share my own NSV, and note that the scale is not everything.

I am using runkeeper to log my runs, and I am looking for anyone else using runkeeper to send me a note if you would like to be added as a friend. I have found that to be a very good motivator.

Replies

• lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a GOOD NSV.
    I would much rather go outside for a brisk walk or bike ride than use the equipment in the gym. Good for you that you found something you really love to do and you get rewards for it. Well done!
  • Lorelai23
    Lorelai23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What a great NSV! I used to run and always felt more accomplished when I ran outside.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I love running accomplishments. They are so awesome :). And 5 miles any way you get there is fan-fabu-tastic!!:wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!