Lifting weights...oh wow!

Options
Lifting weights is making a big difference. The numbers on the scale were not moving but the inches are dropping! People are now commenting on how much more compact and "tighter" I look. My clothes fit way better and I feel way stronger.

I can never go back to the outdoors fitness bootcamps anymore. I lost little weight, even if I did build cardio endurance, and didn't gain much in terms of strength and muscle. I'd be exhausted after an hour of running, jumping jacks, crunches, endless burpees. But after my 45-minute metabolic strength training sessions, I am so energized even if tired in a different way,

I totally recommend starting a lifting program to the ladies who are hesitant to step into this world. Lift heavy things but start slowly. It's so worth it.

Replies

• Totally agree with you! +1!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yep. It does wonders to your body!!! :drinker:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    He!! yeah lady!

Although I do love running too :laugh:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Does lifting heavy grocery bags count?? :)
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Lifted for the first time today and I loved it!
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I totally it has really made the difference for me
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm down 16# from a calorie deficit and heavy lifting. Love it.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I really have been wanting to try out the lifting but where do I start?
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Lifting for 6 months now. I love it, and no, . I do not look like a body builder, just more toned :-)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It really is a 'wow' kinda thing! :)
  • mamma_nee of course it does! :D Lifting everything and walking at any chance. Be careful and watch your lifts to avoid workout injuries.
    EHisCDN it's way more fun than gym cardio. I do love outdoors cardio though!
    beaches222 do you go to the gym or have dumbbells at home? I can get you a routine if you'd like.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting is the way to go
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    PICKING *kitten* UP AND PUTTING IT DOWN AND *kitten*!!!!111
  • mamma_nee
    Options
    I really have been wanting to try out the lifting but where do I start?

Start with your pantry -- grab cans of tomato sauce and work your way up :)
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym for the first time today (previously I'd done things at home like cycling, 30DS and fitness classes) and I hated gym cardio (I tried the elliptical and it was so boring!) but I loved the free weights! I guess I'm going to have to get a membership!
  • mamma_nee
    Options
    I am starting with regular weights Friday :) I used to love weight in high school and my son got all kinds of weights collecting dust in the basement - time to wipe them down and put them to good use.
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is making a big difference. The numbers on the scale were not moving but the inches are dropping! People are now commenting on how much more compact and "tighter" I look. My clothes fit way better and I feel way stronger.

I can never go back to the outdoors fitness bootcamps anymore. I lost little weight, even if I did build cardio endurance, and didn't gain much in terms of strength and muscle. I'd be exhausted after an hour of running, jumping jacks, crunches, endless burpees. But after my 45-minute metabolic strength training sessions, I am so energized even if tired in a different way,

I totally recommend starting a lifting program to the ladies who are hesitant to step into this world. Lift heavy things but start slowly. It's so worth it.

It's downright addicting!! I do both though, in an attempt to keep balanced. But def prefer lifting.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It's downright addicting!! I do both though, in an attempt to keep balanced. But def prefer lifting.

YES it really is! I also do cardio (jog 30 minutes or elliptical for 30 minutes) about 3 times a week or tabata at the gym after strength is done. We get to run sprints, which I have started liking a lot.

Some days I'll pull out the Jillian Michaels metabolism raising/fat blasting DVD. I'm not opposed to cardio but I just know that the hour-long steady state cardio is something I can't do anymore.

The thing is that if strength training is incorporated in a circuit-type deal with very brief intervals in between, it IS a tough cardio workout as well.
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have been reading furiously about this in the last few days. Thanks for the positive endorsement. I'm getting my ducks in a row to start this myself