Cholesterol Success?

Options
I just got my results from my yearly physical and my cholesterol is high. While I've been a life-long dieter, I've never really been concerned with my cholesterol... until now. I'm interested in hearing from people that have had luck improving their cholesterol levels (raising good, lowering bad) with diet and exercise. I need some motivation and would like to read some real-life "been there, done that... this is how I did it" stories :). Here are my current numbers... I'm scheduled to go back in 3 months to be re-tested. Thanks to anyone who replies!

Total: 212
HDL: 39
LDL: 120
Triglycerides: 266
Ratio: 5.4

Replies

• JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I dropped my numbers substantially over the past six months, my triglyceride level was 44 last week. Eating lots of good fats, nuts, PB, fruits, leaner meats etc. Doing a lot of cardio and overall exercise. Rarely do I eat after 7pm. I also lost 70-80 pounds during this time frame, biggest difference maker.
  • 6bizymom
    6bizymom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My Cholesterol was 221 in June. I started working out 4-6 times a week, aerobics and treadmill. I joined MFP and have been staying with the 1200 calorie diet. In Sept I had it tested again and it was down to 148. I have lost 42 pounds since June 30 and plan on doubling that before I am finished.
    I am going back to be tested again this week. Hoping that things still looks really good. Hope this helps.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Your numbers are representative of a high carb diet with a fairly sedentary lifestyle. Your trigs of 266 also represent a diet high in refined carbs. You might think of increasing your protein and doing some weight resistance training.

EDIT: spelling.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I just got my results from my yearly physical and my cholesterol is high. While I've been a life-long dieter, I've never really been concerned with my cholesterol... until now. I'm interested in hearing from people that have had luck improving their cholesterol levels (raising good, lowering bad) with diet and exercise. I need some motivation and would like to read some real-life "been there, done that... this is how I did it" stories :). Here are my current numbers... I'm scheduled to go back in 3 months to be re-tested. Thanks to anyone who replies!

Are you sure on those triglycerides...the math isn't making sense.
    I went from 176-158 since April. I joined MFP the first of May. You can do it.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Why?
  • slhall0822
    slhall0822 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Yep, got the printed results right here in front of me.
  • slhall0822
    Options

Actually, the math does add up. After doing some research, I just learned how they calculate LDL. Apparently, your LDL is calculated by taking your total cholesterol, subtracting your HDL, and subtracting your triglycerides/5... that equals 119.8 for me, sooo.... yep, the math adds up :)
  • neanderthin
    Options

And in my opinion, makes total sense.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Actually, the math does add up. After doing some research, I just learned how they calculate LDL. Apparently, your LDL is calculated by taking your total cholesterol, subtracting your HDL, and subtracting your triglycerides/5... that equals 119.8 for me, sooo.... yep, the math adds up :)
    In reality, the cholesterol test that most people get doesn't actually monitor LDL.....seriously......lol I know, sound weird, but true./
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I hit reply too soon and edited my last post. I was asking because I was adding all the numbers but then realized triglycerides aren't included in the total. I wonder why they didn't tell me my triglycerides. Any way I was saying I lowered mine from 178 to its 153 now not 153. You can doi it.
  • slhall0822
    Options
    I hit reply too soon and edited my last post. I was asking because I was adding all the numbers but then realized triglycerides aren't included in the total. I wonder why they didn't tell me my triglycerides. Any way I was saying I lowered mine from 178 to its 153 now not 153. You can doi it.

Thanks for the encouragement :) I wondered the same thing and even asked the doctor about how the total number is determined because it didn't make sense to me either. She didn't explain the formula (I found that with my mad Google skills LOL), but she did explain that the total cholesterol wasn't necessarily formed by just adding good + bad.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    In April I was diagnosed with high cholesterol, high triglycerides and pre-diabetic.
    Reducing the total number of carbs I eat, decreasing saturated fats, increasing unsaturated fats, and increasing exercise, I reversed my numbers to normal in 3 months. I don't remember the actual numbers (and too tired and lazy to look them up) My blood sugar dropped 20 points, Cholesterol 75 points, and triglycerides 125. I just had them all rechecked and anticipate results the first of next week.

Advice:
    Lower your total carb intake (not a low carb diet), especially refined carbs
    Reduce saturated fats (don't eliminate, just reduce) - meat, dairy, etc
    Increase unsaturated fats - almonds, avocados
    Increase exercise - both cardio and resistance