Attention 5'8" (ish) WOMEN!!

Options
Hi there :) So I am a 5'8" woman and I weigh 170. At my highest this summer, I was 180. When I gain weight, I am shaped like an apple. My hips don't gain inches, but my midsection does. Right now, my bellybutton measurement is about 38.5"-39".

I was down to 155 last year, which wasn't from working out or eating right, I think it was a combination of stress and getting on the depo shot (i had unusual side effects).

I would love to lose about 4" off of my midsection, but I would like to see what is a "fit" belly size for women like me!

Sending your measurements is great, but I would like to see pictures, more!

Thanks!

Replies

• rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7.5" and weigh 169. My waist measurement currently is 32" I started at around 39" waist. You can see the difference in my profile pic (not even my highest weight). I'm a pear shape though, not apple.

Web MD states that any wiast measurement greater than 32" in a woman is an increased risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

Oh yeah, and this is just my two cents, I'm not at goal yet and not "fit" by my own standards. Getting there though!
  • shellygressett
    shellygressett Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and weigh 177. My waist is currently 33 in. I tend to be more hourglass shaped though so my waist is one of the quickest places to move inches. Not complaining! :) Good luck!
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    Are those your true waist measurements? If that's the case, then mine is about 34". Im curious about your midsection measurement (at the bellybutton).

Thanks gals!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'81/2'' and my measurements are:

Waist 32.5 on 11/07/2013 (at belly button)
    Hips 38.5 on 11/07/2013
    chest 36 on 11/07/2013
    arm 10.9 on 11/07/2013
    thigh 20.2 on 11/07/2013

My measurements are done every 5 weeks or so by a trainer at my gym. I would suggest having someone take your measurements each time b/c they will be consistent.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'8" and my waist is 31 inches by my last measurement. i also have an hourglass shape.
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    Wow! It is looking like I would need to lose much more than a few inches around my belly to be where I want. I understand that everybody's body is different but dang! I feel as though Im only 20-25lbs over what would be a tight, toned body (Im not fat, just have some ugly fat in weird places). But I don't feel like I could lose 7" on my waist with only 25lbs lost. What are your thoughts?
  • JessicaMcguigan123
    Options
    I am 5ft 7, 159lbs and my waist is 30inches. however i am pear shaped and have the biggest backside and thighs ever, with a little waist and boobs
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that every 5 lbs on the scale amounts to about 1" off the waist. So, if you think you have 7" to lose, then I would guestimate that means ~35 lbs.

I am closer to 5'9" (in 2013 I have measured 5'9" and I have measured 5'8.75"....), but here was my stats at the end of October, 2013:

Endofoct201312monthcomparisonslide1_zpsbf7dd234.jpg
  • kspark658
    kspark658 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    People are all different....eat right, exercise, be healthy, lose a few pounds until you are happy with your body, regardless of what a scale or measuring tape says.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i'm about 5 foot 8 and a half and in this pic i'm 170 pounds.

Aince taking this pic I've pulled in another inch and a half at the waist and nearly 3 off the hips but only lost about 2-3 pounds.

Not quite there, but happy with the general shape.
  • daniflems
    daniflems Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 7 1/2" and weigh approx 174 right now. My belly button measures 38" and I also feel like I need to lose about 20-25 pounds.

When I started MFP in winter 2011 I weighed about 180 pounds and I was down to about 155-160 last spring (2012). I felt pretty happy but wanted to lose another 10 pounds or so.

I had a baby this spring (2013) before that could happen and now am trying to lose the extra weight I put back on. It will always be an ongoing battle but I know I was successful last time so it helps a lot this time around.

It sounds like we have about the same body type though (I distribute my weight somewhat evenly but excess gathers around my belly butt and thighs). Add me if you like :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and I weigh 165. No idea what my measurements are because I'm not the one who tracks my data.
    Everyone will have much different results based on how much lean mass they have. Here's a picture of me.
    IMG_20130803_135317_zps3ef17f41.jpg
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 8" and my waist is 34" at present. I weigh 179lbs. I need to get down to 28" waist to fit into my wedding dress which I'm guessing will be a loss of another 40lbs from now. I'm a cross between athletic and an hourglass but never had a tiny waist.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft8, 136 lbs and my waist is 26.5 naturally, and about 27.5 or 28 at the belly-button. However, I'm the opposite of your body type. I'm pear shaped.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm 5'7" and started my journey at 178 pounds. I am now 123.6 pounds. I never took pre-measurements, but my waist is now 27".
  • Manda_1986
    Manda_1986 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"7 and 148 pounds. My goal is around 138 pounds. These measurements were done 3 weeks ago. I am due for a measure next week so I will add the new ones then :).

Chest: 36.2
    Waist: 31.5
    Hips (widest part hips/bum): 39.7
    Thigh: 23.6
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm very "pear" so carry little on my stomach. 5'8.75", 160lbs.

Waist: 29
    Naval: 31
    Hips: 41
    Thigh: 24

20127619_9689.jpg
  • ElizabethMKE
    ElizabethMKE Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 5'7'' and I'm currently 201.
    I started at 224 and my goal is 155-165. I like being a bit bigger because any smaller and I loose my boobies.
    (I will always have a tush and I love it!)
    Feel free to add me! Just drop a line, hello!
    Oh and carry my weight in my tummy, boobs and thighs.
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Im 5"8.5

My measurements are

Waist: 22.8
    Hips: 31
    Thighs: 19.6
    Arms: 9

I dont know how to post pics though sorry :P
  • lafilleavectoi
    lafilleavectoi Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    5'7.5, pear shaped and my measurements are:

Chest: 36
    Waist (narrowest part): 31
    Waist (Belly Button): 35
    Hips: 42
    Thighs: 25
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!