Lifting weights...oh wow!

Options

Replies

• cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I just started two weeks ago. I can't wait to see some results!
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, I am three weeks into 5 day a week Crossfit program and I am loving the results. If anybody is looking for like minded lifting friends feel free to send over a request :)
  • NoMeat101
    Options
    mamma_nee of course it does! :D Lifting everything and walking at any chance. Be careful and watch your lifts to avoid workout injuries.
    EHisCDN it's way more fun than gym cardio. I do love outdoors cardio though!
    beaches222 do you go to the gym or have dumbbells at home? I can get you a routine if you'd like.

I'm interested in a routine if you have one... I have dumbbells at home! I bought them, enjoy them, but don't quite know what to do with them. Tried to do T25 but found the dumbbells more exciting.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    I am starting a new gym membership...and making an appointment with a personal training.

Just wondering about a routine to do at home...
  • kita_254
    kita_254 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes! Lift heavy! Don't be afraid to pick the big weights up
  • I'm interested in a routine if you have one... I have dumbbells at home! I bought them, enjoy them, but don't quite know what to do with them. Tried to do T25 but found the dumbbells more exciting.

Okay, in this link you'll find a PDF file with links to videos. I hope that comes handy and you enjoy it. I'll make one for a higher-level workout if you want one.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/187766964/workout-routine
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I really have been wanting to try out the lifting but where do I start?

Buy Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and New Rules of Lifting for Women. Read both. You will then be fully equipped to move into heavy barbell training with all the tools you need to succeed.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    [Okay, in this link you'll find a PDF file with links to videos. I hope that comes handy and you enjoy it. I'll make one for a higher-level workout if you want one.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/187766964/workout-routine

That's so awesome! I may need to ask you for some stuff too. Thank you for your generosity :)
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Lifted for the first time today and I loved it!

Oh yeah. Wait until a couple of month's time.

You'll be chucking round words like DOMS as if it was going out of fashion!

*ouch*
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I will say that I still struggle with form on deadlifts and barbell squat and thrust. My lower back muscle do hurt because they become very tight.

Form is not easy to learn and it takes practice, patience and a knowledgeable trainer or videos. I want to lift heavier but I don't have the form down correctly as yet.

For those who are beginning, start SLOW and with LOW weights. It is very easy to get carried away but don't risk hurting yourself. Also, do lots of core strengthening exercises as that is the part of your body that helps you lift properly.

It's a lifetime thing so don't be impatient to do it all in a month or two. You will get there eventually.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I agree! I have added more weight training to my workout and see a difference all over. When I do my walking DVDs I use hand weights. Also purchased The biggest Loser Cardio Max, Power sculpt and Abs DVDs. Each of the include weights and Cardio. I
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Yep :smile:
  • That's so awesome! I may need to ask you for some stuff too.

Thank youuuuu! Feel free to ask anything you want (I hope I can help). I enjoy planning a workout routine from the top so much, that I love it when I have to reschedule mine. lol
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    In fo heavy lifting :flowerforyou:
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I love what lifting does for my body comp.

I lift 3 days a week mixed with cardio.
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello

I found this barbell routine for women which i have tried at least 10 times and i think its fantastic. So far i have not been able to complete the 3 Rounds. I usually end up doing only 3 rounds. Also when i travel i have substituted the barbells for dumb bells in hotels that don't have barbells and they work just as well.

http://www.with-an-open-mind.com/2013/01/13/barbell-workout-for-women-grab-the-weights-girls/
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    mamma_nee of course it does! :D Lifting everything and walking at any chance. Be careful and watch your lifts to avoid workout injuries.
    EHisCDN it's way more fun than gym cardio. I do love outdoors cardio though!
    beaches222 do you go to the gym or have dumbbells at home? I can get you a routine if you'd like.

I'm interested in a routine if you have one... I have dumbbells at home! I bought them, enjoy them, but don't quite know what to do with them. Tried to do T25 but found the dumbbells more exciting.

Hello

I found this barbell routine for women which i have tried at least 10 times and i think its fantastic. So far i have not been able to complete the 3 Rounds. I usually end up doing only 3 rounds. Also when i travel i have substituted the barbells for dumb bells in hotels that don't have barbells and they work just as well.

http://www.with-an-open-mind.com/2013/01/13/barbell-workout-for-women-grab-the-weights-girls/
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! I didn't see a huge weight loss when I started lifting but a HUGE difference in my body. I would recommend heavy lifting to anyone.
  • And remember : http://chronicclimberchick.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/muscle-vs-fat.jpg

It's true! Quit weighting in every day. Inches do the difference, not lbs!